226163 Bullies, 3783 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1,261 to 1,270 of 2310
Page 127 of 231 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127 128129130131137177227 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    5/09/2012 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    That goes both ways, Colin. We'd be having a different conversation if M smashed Z's brains into the ground.

If you are the victim of violence and rendered helpless, whether you live or die is no longer within your control. That's part of why we permit self-defense as a justification for homicide.
    Sure, but this is speculation again.
    Have you ever tried to kill a person with your bare hands? concrete or no concrete, it's no easy feat. I'm not saying it can't happen - I'm saying that fist fights only tend to end up with someone dead when a weapon is involved.

Posted On:
    5/09/2012 12:42pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin View Post
    Sure, but this is speculation again.
    Have you ever tried to kill a person with your bare hands? concrete or no concrete, it's no easy feat. I'm not saying it can't happen - I'm saying that fist fights only tend to end up with someone dead when a weapon is involved.
    As Martin describes it (leave aside whether that's true) it was not a "fistfight." It was an unprovoked assault by a stranger who appeared to be on drugs.

People have been killed from single blows to the head-typically a KO followed by head trauma from the fall. You also know why blows the the back of the head are banned in MMA-they're very dangerous. How safe do you think having your head bounced off of pavement is? And how do you know that the other guy isn't armed? Are you supposed to just take your beating and wait until you see a weapon? Another cliche: you feel the knife before you see it.

You don't get to tap out in real life. And if you pass out, well, it's up to the other guy whether you wake up or not.

And you are permitted to use deadly force to prevent serious bodily harm, not just death.

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    5/09/2012 1:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And you are permitted to use deadly force to prevent serious bodily harm, not just death.
    Sorry, I'm derailing the legal discussion with a philosophical one, as I am wont to do, being a philosophy major and all.

I'll try to leave Aristotle out :)

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    5/09/2012 1:15pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As Martin describes it (leave aside whether that's true) it was not a "fistfight." It was an unprovoked assault by a stranger who appeared to be on drugs.

People have been killed from single blows to the head-typically a KO followed by head trauma from the fall. You also know why blows the the back of the head are banned in MMA-they're very dangerous. How safe do you think having your head bounced off of pavement is? And how do you know that the other guy isn't armed? Are you supposed to just take your beating and wait until you see a weapon? Another cliche: you feel the knife before you see it.

You don't get to tap out in real life. And if you pass out, well, it's up to the other guy whether you wake up or not.

How long do i have to skulk around behind you to qualify as provoking you

And if i did, how would you react, since you have to assume everyone is armed?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    5/09/2012 1:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I'm derailing the legal discussion with a philosophical one, as I am wont to do, being a philosophy major and all.

I'll try to leave Aristotle out :)
    Try Aquinas. That's really the modern foundation of self-defense theory in the West. Double intent and all that.

Posted On:
    5/09/2012 1:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    How long do i have to skulk around behind you to qualify as provoking you

And if i did, how would you react, since you have to assume everyone is armed?

One: That's not a provocation to violence under the circumstances described. It's lawful behavior. If Martin didn't like it he should have left or called cops.

Two: it's hard to say what I'd do in the in the position Z says he was in. Too many variables. I can't fault Z for the decision he made to shoot, though (again assuming that it happened as he said it did).

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/09/2012 1:27pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm saying that fist fights only tend to end up with someone dead when a weapon is involved.
    Streetfights usually involve a weapon called "the street".

Posted On:
    5/09/2012 1:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    dogfights can include airplanes...what's up with that?

LVL 99 Photomancer

Posted On:
    5/09/2012 1:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Clearly I'm forgetting how dangerous all the glass and lava can be :P
    *I did note the concrete as a counter-consideration.

Posted On:
    5/09/2012 2:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why not just kneecap a ************, if you are INSISTING on using a firearm..
    Femoral artery?
    I was taught that if you simply point your gun at something, you should be ok with that thing dying or being destroyed.
    You cannot reliably stop someone who intends to do you serious bodily harm, nor can you guarantee their relative safety by shooting someone in the leg.
    If you shoot someone, you should assume that death is a likely outcome.