Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2012 5:26pm

Style: MMA,scjj,judo,some tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    very nice!. i recently went too my first judo tournament. although i did not compete my sensei wanted me to go to see what its like and how it'd be. i hope to try and compete sometime next year.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2012 9:03pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice job bigstu,
    Good posture congrats on your green belt. Your gripping/kumikata could use a little work
    1. Left hand should be lower on the sleve with a little more controll of the sleve.
    2. The rright hand would do better on the lapell with the elbow down. This will allow both grips to work together. When you go for the high grip dont float your elbow that is how he got under your elbow for the throw. Good luck and congradulations again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 4:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoratt View Post
    2. The rright hand would do better on the lapell with the elbow down. This will allow both grips to work together. When you go for the high grip dont float your elbow that is how he got under your elbow for the throw. Good luck and congradulations again.
    Thanks for this, i'll take a look again and work on that in randori tonight

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 6:33am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstu31s View Post
    Thanks for this, i'll take a look again and work on that in randori tonight
    I agree with Judoratt you were doing a better job than most HC grippers of keeping your elbow down, but as Judoratt said you were still letting it float.

You need to work towards this:

Forearm fully in contact with the chest.

Also as Judoratt says you need to get better control of his sleeve. In all of your fights you settled for the elbow or even a tricep grip and this allowed your opponents to weaken the control you had over them with your tsurite grip.

Secure their sleeve end and pin it down, like white is doing

Rotate your wrist so that you turn your thumb into their forearm and your palm is facing down towards the mat.

As Judoratt said your posture was good for your grade. However to fully utilise your dominant HC grip, your height and as a general rule for Judo you want to avoid leaning into your opponent.

At the moment you are doing what all beginners doing and leaning forward like the leaning tower of Piza and your opponents were all doing the same so you end up being like two towers of Piza propping each other up.

Instead you want to break their posture whilst remaining relatively upright like so

Note how Pedro's head isn't advanced beyond his feet, where as if you watch your fights over again. Both you and your opponents regularly have your heads advanced beyond your feet.

Still good job and some good basics to build on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 9:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post

Rotate your wrist so that you turn your thumb into their forearm and your palm is facing down towards the mat.

My instructors are always on at me to grab behind the tricep and rotate my wrist, is this wrong then or is it just another way of gripping?
    Also the grip you describe sounds like a "pistol" grip, which I thought was illegal.

Thanks for all other comments and advice though, greatly appreciated.

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 10:03am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Instead you want to break their posture whilst remaining relatively upright like so

Note how Pedro's head isn't advanced beyond his feet, where as if you watch your fights over again. Both you and your opponents regularly have your heads advanced beyond your feet.

Still good job and some good basics to build on.
    Lol, I'm a retard I meant to post this picture of Pedro

Not that picture of Inoue.

Quote Originally Posted by bigstu31s View Post
    My instructors are always on at me to grab behind the tricep and rotate my wrist, is this wrong then or is it just another way of gripping?
    Also the grip you describe sounds like a "pistol" grip, which I thought was illegal.

Thanks for all other comments and advice though, greatly appreciated.
    In randori the grip your coaches are talking about is the appropriate one as it it gives you and your partner equal opportunity to try techniques. It also helps a beginner to learn correct hikite/sleeve pull action.

However, in a contest you don't want your opponent to have the same opportunity to throw as you do. You want him to no have no opportunities and you to have all the opportunities.

Hence you need to dominate the sleeve by controlling the sleeve end.

A pistol grip is where you take the fabric of the gi so you're holding it in a clenched fist.

Like this, but on the underside of the arm not the top

That is illegal.

I'm describing this

See how the palm is facing down towards the mat and the thumb into the side of uke's wrist

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 11:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers for that.
    Regarding my video's, I thought I looked awful but the comments have so far been encouraging, so thanks.

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 9:33pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your coaches were already yelling out my comments on that hold in the 3rd fight - head down, keep the back leg out of reach of the opponent. For the first guy, if you can reach over his back seeing as he's so bent over and pull him tighter. Then you can get the uchimata or the harai or whatever else works for you. Also if I were reffing I would have called him at least one more time for defensive posture.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/19/2012 3:28pm

Style: Street Focus Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congratulations man, very nice that you manned up and went to a tournament, unlike some people (Myself)

I know the emphasis is on Tachi- waza, but I was impressed with your guard work in your first fight. Very nice submission attempt, perhaps you should learn to chain into another submission off the lapel grips? Or go into a sweep? The collar choke is very basic, and very easy to defend. Check out a behind the back collar choke, where you start holding the lapel behind his neck, then turn your arm around and get him in the same choke. It offers control while in the guard, as well as being very sneaky.

I have to say the best part was in your third fight, That was a very solid Kesa-gatame. Great work man.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 11:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shotfghter View Post
    Congratulations man, very nice that you manned up and went to a tournament, unlike some people (Myself)

I know the emphasis is on Tachi- waza, but I was impressed with your guard work in your first fight. Very nice submission attempt, perhaps you should learn to chain into another submission off the lapel grips? Or go into a sweep? The collar choke is very basic, and very easy to defend. Check out a behind the back collar choke, where you start holding the lapel behind his neck, then turn your arm around and get him in the same choke. It offers control while in the guard, as well as being very sneaky.

I have to say the best part was in your third fight, That was a very solid Kesa-gatame. Great work man.
    I must say that having my fights filmed was the best thing I ever did. I'll always be able to look back at them and see the progress I have made.
    Thanks for the comments and yeah I prefer the groundwork, it doesnt hurt so much
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast