Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 3:10pm

Style: Mostly mixed-up FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Q: Decent Thai pads?

Hey all;

It looks like I finally need to get a new set of thai pads. My beloved old Permabilts are dead - after at least 20 years (I think 25) of use!

They've been getting soft, and in my last workout we were literally kicking the stuffing out of them. Little bits leaking out the bottom. For now, I'll re-stuff them with some rags to hold on for a bit, but I need to get a new set.

So who makes pads that will actually hold up? Fairtex, Ringside, Windy are 3 brands I'd look at, but I'd like to hear from people here some opinions on those and other brands - anything from $80 to $120 is possible. The super-expensive ones I'd like to avoid, but I dunno...

So, let's hear it for Permabilt! (Too bad they're gone, that was some *good* gear)

Thanks,
    madsox

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 4:31pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a pair of Twins that have held up very well for the past year. And for some reason the site I bought 'em from is down... www.twinsspecial.com

Well, that sucks.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 4:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.ringside.com/ringside/mma...thai-pads.html

combat sports makes good pads. ringside (same company) used to make really nice thai pads, but i don't see them for sale anymore.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 5:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKenner View Post
    I have a pair of Twins that have held up very well for the past year.
    Yeah, I heard about those; they're good. You should also try Hayabusa and BadBoy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 5:39pm

Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just got the Hayabusa ones and i'm pretty happy with them. good shape and they have a nice feel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 9:02pm

Style: Mostly mixed-up FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see Ringside still selling pads, and found another new (to me) place called (I am not making this up) "GFY Gear" - anybody heard of them? Low prices and no shipping charges, but low price for thai pads to me is likely a bad thing.

So apart from the normal Interwebs meaning, does anybody know about GFY? Looks like they're out in CA, San Jose specifically.

I'll probably go with Ringside, I like their gear. But I'm open...

Thanks!

Posted On:
    3/26/2012 9:45pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.muaythai-fighting.com/top...-tkkpu-cv.html

My gym has several pairs of these that have been getting the crap beaten out of them for more than three years and they show no signs of degrading.