Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 12:28pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it definitely looks as if you are "pushing" and/or not following through. Looks like you are consciously trying to stop yourself from flinching.

Don't let the hammer fall and react naturally. Don't think about the recoil, just focus on squeezing the trigger. Dry fire practice is your friend.

I like to use these...

And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 1:50pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm surprised none of these vids have been posted:

I consider these 3 videos essentials for every pistol shooter. Haley will show you the importance of a good strong grip, Jarrett will show you exactly how to position a pistol in your hand and what part of the finger to press the trigger with, and Cooper will teach you a great way to learn to press the trigger without jerking it or flinching.

Sometimes the best way to solve an issue is to make sure you're doing everything right from the ground up. I've several times developed issues with my own accuracy, tried to diagnose them, and found I simply needed a refresher course on the basics and some dry fire practice to iron out the wrinkles.

Good luck!

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 6:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    it definitely looks as if you are "pushing" and/or not following through. Looks like you are consciously trying to stop yourself from flinching.

Don't let the hammer fall and react naturally. Don't think about the recoil, just focus on squeezing the trigger. Dry fire practice is your friend.

I like to use these...

I like that target. Haven't seen it before.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 7:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The VIDs are awesome. Thanks for those...i've got a list of **** to work on now.

Love the target too. Thanks all.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/18/2012 5:09pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Took the wife to the range today. Brought along the Springfield EMP 9mm, my Operator .45, and the Mosquito .22.

I shot 5 groups at 10 yds with the .22 and here are my two best groups:

I made the following adjustments to my grip, stance, sight picture, etc...ALL based on the vids and advice you guys have given so far.

1. Get the web of the main hand (my right) up VERY tight to the tang. Get my right thumb higher up on the slide pointing down the slide.

2. Fill the gap on the left side of the grip with the meat of my left thumb. Put the left thumb under the right (duh), with it pointing straight down the slide in line horizontally with the barrel. Pointing the thumb forces your hand to angle down at a 45 angle leaving the 4 fingers to fit like a glove in between the fingers of the right hand.

3. Shoot with the meat right behind the fingernail on your trigger finger. This reduces the pull left or right by allowing you to pull straight back on the trigger. This helped A LOT with the slight trigger delay on my .22. Conversely, the EMP trigger is so damn light you have no choice but to be surprised.

4. I took a shoulder width stance (rather than a "fighting" stance) with both my hips and shoulders facing forward.

5. With the change in my grip and stance, my sight picture was easier to aquire when raising my arms to shoot as my arms were pretty much locked out straight. This meant little variation post recoil and when drawing to initially acquire my sight.

All in all, good stuff. Just need more range time; find my groove; and embed it in to my muscle memory.

Thanks guys.

Posted On:
    3/18/2012 7:09pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't forget about dry fire practice! You may not always be able to make it to the range, and that's understandable, but there's no reason not to dry fire practice for at least a few minutes a day.

Good grouping, keep it up! Since you're shooting a DA/SA .22 I figure this might help a bit, too.

Listen to what Mr. Yeager has to say about "Constant Contact" trigger control. I do NOT agree with everything he has to say about shooting (i.e. sight alignment), but that particular part of the video impressed me. I've had issues in the past with DA/SA pistols because of how used to striker fired guns I am. I found his trigger control advice very useful.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    3/19/2012 8:35am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are definitely pushing.

Try a little more gentle pressure with your support hand. Let the weapon snap when it goes off, don't fight it. Your natural response with a good grip will realign you all by itself.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/19/2012 9:20am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    You are definitely pushing.

Try a little more gentle pressure with your support hand. Let the weapon snap when it goes off, don't fight it. Your natural response with a good grip will realign you all by itself.
    Yeah. I saw that using your awesome Target posted above.

I did notice that I tened to "pull" slightly rather than "grip" with the fingers on my supporting hand. With the supporting hand at the 45 degree angle the lead did tend to land slightly left and varied between left-high and left-low.

I tried to adjust it by putting my support hand thumb a bit more firmly against the slide and relaxing my support fingers a bit using the base knuckles to provide support (pulling back) rather than my finger tips (pulling left).

As with anything, the devil is in the detail. Thanks Scapper.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    3/19/2012 9:45am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pushing is usually a recoil-aversion thing. It will lessen with practice (provided you have handled any underlying grip issues).

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/04/2012 8:18pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My groups are getting much tighter. Per previous advice, I have been sticking exclusively with the Sig Mosquito (.22). Today, over the course of 200 rounds, which was 20 targets with 10 rounds shot at each (1 mag); if I pull my ten best groups/targets, my average score was 91, with a range of 88-93, out of a possible score of 100.

These are all at 10 yards. At 5 yards (just for shits and giggles) I scored a 98 with 1 ten round clip. Two in the 9 and 8 in the bull. Should've had 100 if I tried another but it felt like cheating to only shoot 5 yards.

My muscle memory (ability to acquire the target more quickly) and fundamentals are gradually getting better. For "fundamentals" my focus is on the following...some of which I forget at times:

1. 100% grip;
    2. Thumbs pointing down the side of the barrel;
    3. Support hand at a 45 angle;
    4. Grip, don't squeeze the gun;
    5. Square stance feet a little more than shoulder width and very slightly bent at the knees;
    6. Arms just about fully extended;
    7. My shoulders just lightly pinching my chin and settle my head in the pocket (keeping my eyes just about barrel level);
    8. Relax my gut;
    9. Relax my traps as much as possible;
    10. Acquire target;
    11. Square sights;
    12. Focus on the front sight NOT the target;
    13. Squeeze the trigger with the meat behind the finger nail;
    14. Relax...exhale;
    15. Focus on front sight detail to distract, BANG!!!!...anticipation;

Repeat, GOTO 1...

The advice and videos in this thread have been AWESOME.

Gonna go to an Advanced Pistol and Marksmanship course here in Florida in the next month or so to help get a few more of the kinks out...and, range time, range time, range time, muscle memory, muscle memory, muscle memory. I'll put in a review after I take it.

I figure it will be good to get an expert to check out and correct my mistakes now before bad habits develop.
    Last edited by GoldenJonas; 4/04/2012 8:30pm at .
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast