Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 2:34pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While your .22 is certainly not a target pistol, it certainly should be able to perform better.

Incidentally, .22 pistols are pretty damn accurate. I've shot small groups out to 25 yards with a conversion kit on my .45 and a Ruger target pistol.

Which brings up a few points:

(1) if you want to get better, and you have a glock or 1911... invest in a conversion kit. Practice with the trigger and safety setup you want to use IRL.

(2) if you want to be a target bada**, buy a target pistol. Ruger makes some awesome pistols.

(3) If you're very new to pistol shooting, spend some time with the .22 first. It'll help you build good habits (no herky jerky trigger pulls). After you have tight groups with the .22, then work with the .45.

How fast are you shooting? Are you going rapid fire through the mag? While you're learning take your time with each shot.

And as far as your trigger goes... plenty of people put up sick groups with glocks, and they are not known for great triggers....

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 2:51pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm settled in the NE for now, thanks!

Post your group pics when you can. it will help.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 3:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is actually an interesting conversation and I think it brings us to a point where we need to make a distinction.

I don't disagree with anything Scrapper or JohnKenner have said above, but I think we're thinking in slightly different terms.

Scrapper made the statement that he shoots as well with a 2" barrel at 10 yards as a 4" barrel. JohnKenner made statements about small groups with a Glock trigger and the accuracy of .22 pistols. And they're both absolutely right from a practical standpoint.

But when I think of accuracy I think in different terms. I think about accuracy from a rest and I think in thousandths of an inch, especially with short range targets. I would absolutely go measure a 10 yard group with a caliper and if I repeatedly found a fraction of an inch difference I wouldn't conclude that I was getting the same accuracy out of both guns. And to me, group size measured from offhand shots is meaningless for determining a gun's accuracy.

However, I readily admit thousandths of an inch are completely meaningless for practical use. It's the same difference in perspective you'll find when dealing with benchrest shooters vs. tactical marksmen. One perspective is more focused on the capabilities of the machine. The other perspective is more focused on the end results based on the needs of the shooter.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 4:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah. I'm definitley refering to "tactical" as opposed to "benchrest". The only time I'm at "benchrest" is when shooting rifles at 50yds+...and that's not often because all I have right now is a SW M&P 22/15. I'm saving up for a 20" AR as I LOVE shooting distance and would like to try my hand at the local NRA comps...but back to my pistol deficiencies.

The Ruger target pistols that I have seen are BEAUTIFUL...but, pistol is not my immediate focus so I'm stuck with the Mosquito and I don't want to mess with "converting" my 1911 as it took me forever to find the 4.5" Operator I'm using and I love it. HOWEVER, I do not want to blame the machine for the faults of the user, which, at this point, I'm sure is the case. I was hoping for some tips on pistol and marksmanship fundamentals, but I know posting some targets will make that easier.

I'll try and get some groups posted to this thread later this week so you guys can tease the hell out of me........thousanths of an inch? LOL!!!! Maybe I'll just stick to shredding sillouetts to confetti with my Mosberg 500. Thanks guys.

Oh...and I'm going slow fire and taking my time. Say 1 shot every 3 seconds or so.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 5:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldenJonas View Post
    The Ruger target pistols that I have seen are BEAUTIFUL...but, pistol is not my immediate focus so I'm stuck with the Mosquito and I don't want to mess with "converting" my 1911 as it took me forever to find the 4.5" Operator I'm using and I love it.
    Conversion is a pretty easy process. I assume your operator has a full length guide rod, but still shouldn't be a huge issue.

Buy one of these:
    http://shopwilsoncombat.com/22-Conve...ductinfo/422C/

All you have to do is pop out the slide stop, take off the slide, and replace it with the .22 slide. Pop in a mag with .22 ammo and you're good to go. Easy peasy. It's a pretty accurate kit, I shoot better groups with it converted than my regular .45 slide. However, the .22 slide has nice target sights, and I have more tactical oriented sites on the .45 slide. That being said, it did help to diagnose some of the problems with my trigger pull.

It will jam from time to time, like any semi-auto. It also won't lock back the slide when the mag is empty (not enough blowback I guess).

I do not want to blame the machine for the faults of the user, which, at this point, I'm sure is the case.
    Equipment wise, you're set. The operator is hella nice. I have a Springfield 1911 GI, now modified by Wilson Combat. I had them do trigger work, install a beaver tail, full length guide rod, fit a better bushing on the barrel, better sights, worked on the feed ramp, and did some custom checkering. I kept the stock barrel.

They sent back a test target, 5 rounds @ 15 yards. One hole. Your gun has much of the same work, and a better barrel. It can put lead wherever you can direct it to.

Oh...and I'm going slow fire and taking my time. Say 1 shot every 3 seconds or so.
    Ok, a couple of hints:

One thing that might help is something a former marine sniper taught me. When pulling your trigger, imagine its the sharp end of a tack. If you pull too fast or too hard, it'll pierce your finger. Pull slowly and steadily, and never hard enough to have the tack come through.

Another thing that might help would be dry fire drills. Buy some snap caps, and see if you jerk your trigger at all. 3.5 inches at 10 yards, even with the .45 is not a great grouping. Dry fire (with snap caps to protect your firing pin) may help diagnose some problems.
    Last edited by JohnKenner; 3/12/2012 5:09pm at . Reason: How do grammar?

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 5:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand.

The thing is, the only variable that IS constant between the two groups is the shooter, so I wouldn't rule out some mechanical difference that's impacting your shot placement other than recoil - although recoil anticipation is a very possible cause. A shitty trigger or just a different trigger than you're used to can screw you up too, especially when you're just getting used to it. Or it can be a combination of a bunch of factors.

Here's another possibility that hasn't been discussed....I haven't shot a Mosquito, so I'm not sure, but do you have a less precise sight picture with it than the .45? That could give you problems too.

Edit: this was a response to Golden Jonas' last post.

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 5:33pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Devil,

My longer barreled Ruger Mk II can 1 hole at 10 yards. What do you mean the .22 is inherently less accurate? Accuracy isn't affected much by the choice of round, but by aspects like rifling, tolerances, and sight radius. I don't subscribe to the idea that a specific round is just inherently less accurate than some others. Your weapon and your skill are the two main factors in accuracy. If there is anything to the idea that a round is more or less accurate than another, then I would think it's most likely barely measurable.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 5:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Devil;2670788I haven't shot a Mosquito, so I'm not sure, but do you have a less precise sight picture with it than the .45? That could give you problems too.[/QUOTE]

This is an excellent point that I hadn't thought of. Also, another question, the mosquito is a rather... diminutive... gun. How big are your hands?

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 6:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    What do you mean the .22 is inherently less accurate?
    Yeah, that was probably an untrue statement on my part.

Cut me some slack. It's Monday.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 11:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Here's another possibility that hasn't been discussed....I haven't shot a Mosquito, so I'm not sure, but do you have a less precise sight picture with it than the .45? That could give you problems too.
    Hmm...maybe. I have tritium night sights on my Operator. The Mosquito has nondescript white three dot sights.

I have read about the benefits of snap caps for dry-firing drills to help muscle memory and fix recoil response. I'll look in to it more.

Thanks for the help guys. I can't wait to hit the range this Wednesday...too bad I can buy 300 rounds of CCI .22 rimfire for same as 50 rounds of FMJ .45 ACP. ;-(
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast