Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 12:20pm

Style: Traditional Mix

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Crossbows

Okay, Momma Bear bought Pappa Bear a Barnett Wildcat last night as a birthday gift. This puppy came with a red dot and has a 150# pull. Allegedly gets 370fps with carbon bolts equipped with 100 grain heads. Woefully inexperienced with crossbows, although I shoot a PSE Bruin compound bow, and was hopeful to get some pointers from the tribe. It would be nice to have another tool for Bambi this coming season.

Let's hear it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2012 3:23am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DaTedBear where are you from? Does your state allow you to hunt Bambi with a crossbow? I know in IL you can only use a crossbow if you are over 65 or disabled.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    4/09/2012 8:30am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's a man in Texas known as "Iolo" who makes historical crossbows. I understand that the Tower of London actually uses his crossbows for exhibits. If you've played Ultima you know that Iolo is a character in that game universe; Richard Garriot also grew up in Texas and he probably knew this Iolo guy. A friend of mine has an Iolo crossbow. It's high quality craftsmanship, it's old school, and it works. Of course it's not nearly as "nice" as a modern crossbow, but that's not the point.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    4/09/2012 8:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Busey View Post
    DaTedBear where are you from? Does your state allow you to hunt Bambi with a crossbow? I know in IL you can only use a crossbow if you are over 65 or disabled.
    Don't know where the Op is from, but in Florida you can hunt just about anything with a crossbow as long as you are doing it during the correct time frame. We have bow season, muzzle loader, cross bow, ect.

We used to do it the way you describe, but it was recently changed, and I understand that a lot of states are changing it too.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2012 9:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @Gary...I am in Kentucky. Yes, just as DT says, you are allowed to use a crossbow during specified seasons with bag limits, etc. In Kentucky, there is a primitive weapons season along with the archery and modern gun seasons for deer hunting.

This particular crossbow is a refined instrument over what I had contact with, previously. Since my original post, I had the opportunity to speak with a Game Warden and found that this particular crossbow is used quite a bit in the state and is more than sufficient for taking deer humanely out to 50 yards.

Shot this crossbow in my back yard at 30 yards into a Block target that handled compound bows up to 60 pounds. No match. Went right through the target and imbedded itself into the new stockade fence. (Got it out before Mama bear caught me.) Wow! These things are powerful and pretty quiet! Cannot wait to test it out on wild game.
    Last edited by DaTedBear; 4/09/2012 9:48am at . Reason: spelling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2012 11:35am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    DaTedBear sounds like a blast. I'd love to see the wound channel it creates. What type of broad heads are you planning on using?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/10/2012 10:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have not been able to free up the time to get over to BassPro to check out their goodies for this thing. Apparently, Barnett makes an entire line of accessories and I am going to check them out and compare what is available. I use Muzzy three-blades at 125 grains for my PSE Bruin and they tore a nice doe up this season. If nothing else, I would try those.