Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 10:13am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's about 8 months. A good chunk of that 15lbs is definitely fat, and a (not-so) healthy portion of that fat is down to going back on the beer.

I find collar size is a decent gauge of how much muscle I'm carrying - fat tends to sit around my gut in a ring, but when I've been hitting the weights I notice my shirt collars get quite a bit more snug.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 10:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    15 pounds of muscle and fat over 8 months. Makes sense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 11:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    12st 7lbs was too light for me in the end - I found I was getting rag-dolled around by people of a similar size. Great for striking and being fast on the feet, no good when people are popping out of side control every two minutes.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 12:09pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    calorie counting for a few weeks is a good exercise to find leaks in your diet - you'd be surprised where extra calories are. a triple decker club has 90 extra calories because of the extra slice of bread, for example. Some things you think are healthy (orange juice leaps to mind) might as well be soda

As a long term solution, if you have the personality to count calories all the time you probably aren't overweight - you're more likely to have an eating disorder - but as a way to spot your habits and get conscious of what you eat? It's a good short to medium term thing to do.

With a modern calorie counting app for your phone, you can also track your macronutrient ratio and your vitamin intake, things like that - you can learn a lot about your diet by doing it for a month or so. If you stick to it for a month, you'll know for yourself if you want/ need to continue.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 12:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    calorie counting for a few weeks is a good exercise to find leaks in your diet - you'd be surprised where extra calories are. a triple decker club has 90 extra calories because of the extra slice of bread, for example. Some things you think are healthy (orange juice leaps to mind) might as well be soda

As a long term solution, if you have the personality to count calories all the time you probably aren't overweight - you're more likely to have an eating disorder - but as a way to spot your habits and get conscious of what you eat? It's a good short to medium term thing to do.

With a modern calorie counting app for your phone, you can also track your macronutrient ratio and your vitamin intake, things like that - you can learn a lot about your diet by doing it for a month or so. If you stick to it for a month, you'll know for yourself if you want/ need to continue.
    Perfectly put.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 12:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    Perfectly put.
    Agreed, I did this and it helped me be a lot better able to estimate it by eye/in my head.

You do look like a bit of a berk pointing your smartphone at packs of instant noodles, mind.

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 1:24pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Snacking as Fightclubfreak and Syberia describe can be a case of sugar sensitivity. Sugar can be a physical and psychologically addictive substance. Some people are more sensitive than others and if you have sugar sensitivity and a house full of sugary snacks than you will not get it out of your system. A book I would recommend is "Potatos Not Prozac" http://www.amazon.com/Potatoes-Seven.../dp/0684850141

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 9:26pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post

Interesting that you mention it could increase your chances of having an eating disorder. I would almost consider myself having an eating disorder now. Over the last year I've learned a lot more about nutrition through calorie counting and research and started involving a lot of new healthy foods to my diet. However I have a much harder time resisting bad food than I did before.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12