Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 12:01am

Style: MMA, BJJ, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Calorie counting

Do you count calories or keep a diary of your meals? Why or why not? I've been tracking my calories on and off using www.livestrong.com/myplate. My diet has been really crazy lately, I eat lots of really healthy foods, but also have a hard time controlling myself from endless snacking at night (my mom keeps a kitchen filled with tons of every type of food). For designated time periods i can maintain a super clean diet with tons of veggies and lean protein, but I've got a weak spot for sugary foods, and just about every carb loaded snack food. Would you recommend calorie counting for someone like me?

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 2:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got a weak spot for sugary foods, and just about every carb loaded snack food.
    I'm exactly the same. Ask anyone. I snack all the time, especially if i'm at home studying or chilling out. If I'm bored I'm snacking. It breaks the monotony and I cannot resist munching on the most unhealthy thing I have access to.

Would you recommend calorie counting for someone like me?
    Does it work?
    Look, in all honesty, I probably wouldn't. If you're not the kind of person to resist snacking then you're probably not going to make more more progress by counting calories, but that's just my opinion.
    You mother controlls the food in the house, I take it? Talk to her about buying healthier things, that you like, to snack on. Keep gum handy to keep yourself from eating constantly. Drink plenty of water. Make a balanced meal plan than gives you room to have something sugary or carb loaded every other day.
    Calorie counting is only effective if you're eating balanced anyway, and different days will need different amounts dependant on what you're doing.

Learn to be stronger than your bad habits*. That is the only way you can get back control of them. If calorie counting forces you to stop snacking, then good, use it.
    At the end of the day it comes down to your will.

*You can join the club of people like me who need to do this ;)

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 4:56am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice post guys..........Plz keep posting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 5:39am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Last time I had knee surgery I ended up about 2 stone overweight. Went back into training, was going at it fairly hard but couldn't get that weight back off.

I did maybe six or seven weeks of a strict calorie counting diet, and hammered the cardio vascular equipment at the gym. I was eating 1000 calories per day and burning off 1000 calories at the gym. It was really hard work diet-wise - I stopped taking sugar in tea, gave up beer, switched to skimmed milk on everything, and survived largely on a diet of salad and muesli. Did the trick though. I got the two stone off on that regime, then eased off slightly and get about another 9lbs off.

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 5:47am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear snacking at night is the worst, you keep a good diet during the day, but than ruin it in half an hour of snacking some high calorie carp just before you go to sleep.

Here to kick your ass.

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 6:48am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was eating 1000 calories per day and burning off 1000 calories at the gym.
    I find this hard to believe. Possible, perhaps, but very unreccomended.

Chaos? Panic?... Disorder??
    .........................​My work here is done.

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 7:31am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a big believer is something i read over at pn nutrition. "If you buy it, you'll eat it." If you can't remove all the **** food from where you live you are one small impulse away from gorging on crap.

If i have to make a weight for a fight I'll calorie count. The body sends some pretty confusing signals. Somedays on a 1000 calorie deficit you don't feel hungry and others you want to eat your own shoes, without measuring what i eat on those days i blow it by eating more to ease the hunger.

You can't manage what you can't measure.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 9:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just say no to calorie counting.

Calorie counting makes you an obnoxious, annoying bastard that nobody wants to be around. I've had a certain family member come to my house and spend 30 minutes on the internet prior to eating the meal I cooked determining how much they could eat. I wanted to slap the **** out of them. If I'm cooking a meal for you, the least you can do is be an entertaining guest instead of playing on the internet.

Calorie counting is for those overweight assholes who decide to start dieting and exercising. That's all they want to talk about 24/7 and they act like they're fitness experts despite carrying 50 extra pounds of lard in their Levi's. Then, a month later they give up and go back to pizza and beer.

I subscribe to the Jennifer Aniston plan....Don't eat **** every day. It's very simple. Unless you're a complete moron, you know what's healthy and what isn't. Eat more of the healthy stuff and less of the shitty stuff. Or even better - eat less of the healthy stuff and none of the shitty stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 9:47am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by syberia View Post
    I find this hard to believe. Possible, perhaps, but very unreccomended.
    If you want to cut weight then the only way you're going to do it is by burning off more calories than you're consuming. As long as you manage what you eat and you take note of what your body's telling you then there's no real limit in how far you push it.

My daily diet was unremittingly repetitive - bowl of muesli & a Berocca for breakfast, chicken breast with salad at midday, tuna & pasta salad after work then another bowl of muesli after the gym. I worked on the basis that each of those meals had 250 calories in it. As far as burning calories off at the gym goes, you can only go on what the calorie indicators on the machines tell you, but I'd hit 1000 cals (pretty much) every day spread over treadmill, bike, cross-trainer and stair-climber. I'd also do a low resistance/high rep weights circuit and an abs workout between each machine.

The exercise didn't bother me, the diet did, but not to the point that it was driving me nuts. A month into the regime I felt great and the difference it was making to my physique was enough motivation to keep going.

Like I said up there ^^ I did two months of that then another few weeks of a slightly relaxed version. I dropped from just over 15stone down to 12st 7lbs, had fearsome cardio and brutal muscle tone.

I've bulked some muscle back on since then for grappling strength and I'm about 13st 8lb or thereabouts. My diet hasn't drastically changed tbh, but I only do the 1000cal gym session twice a week now.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 10:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've bulked some muscle back on going from 12st 7 lbs to 13st 8lbs in how long? That's fifteen pounds of muscle. How long did it take you? Are you sure it's all muscle?

People tend to drastically overcalculate muscle gains. True gains in muscle mass come slowly. More often than not people gain 5 pounds of muscle and 10 pounds of fat and call it 15 pounds of muscle.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast