Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 6:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Koryu jujutsu maybe not so much, but I don't know enough about it either.
    There are only 18 groups registered under the Nihon Kobudo Kyokai's Jujutsu section (http://www.nihonkobudokyoukai.org/martialarts/, the very top), but then there are other Sogo Budo that with focus on a weapon or weapons and yet also have grappling components (e.g. Tatsumi Ryu has yawara from a line of Araki Ryu, both registered lines of the latter have grappling). Araki Ryu is actually listed under "other", and both lines of Yagyu Shingan Ryu are listed under "Taijutsu". The unacquainted might be unaware of the diversity in nomenclature when it comes to Koryu; it's commonly glossed over as being all equal, but as you can see there it's a point of contention to this day.

If one's none too discerning and puts anything grapplish on the table within and without the NKK, North America has Takeuchi Ryu Bicchuden in Hawaii, Vancouver, California, and Idaho (although I believe that teacher is currently training in Kyoto). Then there's Hontai Yoshin Ryu in New Jersey and Kentucky, Daito Ryu all over the place, and also Kashima Shin Ryu in California, Georgia, and Montana. Then there's also the Araki Ryu Torite Kogusoku in the Pacific Northwest and also the Takamura-ha Shindo Yoshin Ryu global HQ in Colorado, with several branches throughout the continent. That's just AFAIK, I'm sure I've missed something...

In any event, it's actually kind of amazing that the latter two mentioned are remarkable traditions alive and well in America despite no longer being active in Japan. The 21st century is a nutty place.
    Last edited by DARPAChief; 3/16/2012 6:59pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 8:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, it seems that I have caused quite a stir... well at least I can be a bit more involved in the community now :)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 8:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    Hey, guess what time it is.
    LOLOLOLOL!

Posted On:
    3/17/2012 7:28am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Minor point.

There's a Hontai club in The Budokwai in London. :-)

Registered Member

New Braunfels, Texas by way of Long Island

Posted On:
    3/29/2012 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: DT Instructor

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that some people get into this a bit too much. Lighten up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2012 3:48pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom .C View Post
    That would be Mexican Jujutsu.
    As in "Ju don't know who you messing wit, holmes?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2012 7:12pm

Style: Aikido/JJJ/Judo/GoJu Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My JJJ class does randori at the end of every class. Not sure how 'alive' that is, but it feels pretty robust to me. Typically start off class with two or three compliant tachi waza throws, then compliant (which leads into non-compliant) ne waza, then either five, 3 minute randori sessions, or three, 5 minutes randori sessions. Randori typically starts from the standing and goes to the ground naturally and finishes, but you can do whatever you and your partner want to do (all standing, all rolling, start in clinch, start apart, start apart and allow strikes, etc).

Registered Member

The Land Of Processed Meat And Internet Trolls

Posted On:
    3/29/2012 9:21pm

Style: Karate, Boxing, BJJ noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daishi View Post
    My JJJ class does randori at the end of every class. Not sure how 'alive' that is, but it feels pretty robust to me. Typically start off class with two or three compliant tachi waza throws, then compliant (which leads into non-compliant) ne waza, then either five, 3 minute randori sessions, or three, 5 minutes randori sessions. Randori typically starts from the standing and goes to the ground naturally and finishes, but you can do whatever you and your partner want to do (all standing, all rolling, start in clinch, start apart, start apart and allow strikes, etc).
    Seems legit. Better than most Buj and aiki dojo.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    3/31/2012 3:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    Yes, according to the Kodokan website. Some elements of the Nage-no-kata form part of the examination for shodan but the full kata only forms part of the syllabus for Nidan and up.
    I guess that's why I did the whole nage no kata for shodan, both uke and tori. The kodokan has it's standards, some organizations have higher standards, not very many have lower.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    3/31/2012 3:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    You didn't but you offered kime no kata as a counter to my assertion that his innovation was to discard techniques that couldn't be trained alive. And whilst I concede that the kata contain non-randoriable (sic) techniques , I would argue that they are part of the syllabus due to political concessions made by Kano to further his school rather than a part of his innovations of the martial art.

Hence why you could conceivably train in Judo for thirty years and be a graded fourth Dan without ever having to have trained kime no kata.
    If I ever grade for yondan, I won't have to do Kime No kata. I suppose I could if I wanted to, but Nage No Kata, Katame No Kata, and my choice of another kata. I'd probably do Ju No Kata or Goshin Jutsu. Jun No Kata is a lot less painful, though.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast