Page 6 of 11 First ... 2345678910 ... Last
  1. #51
    NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Matt Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    9,756
    Style
    Submission Grappling
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    My argument was that Kano's innovation to "jujutsu" was to discard what couldn't be trained "alive" and focus on what could.
    There was nothing stopping you from training Jujutsu "alive" in 1880; you just had to be a badass. Kano's innovation was to create a modern form of Jujutsu that was appropriate for normal people to practice with only moderate risk.
    Last edited by Matt Phillips; 3/16/2012 7:17am at .
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie


    KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

    In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

  2. #52

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    19
    Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Phillips View Post
    There was nothing stopping you from training Jujutsu "alive" in 1880; you just had to be a badass. Kano's innovation was to create a modern form of Jujutsu that was appropriate for normal people to practice with only moderate risk.
    The main obstacle was the lack of jujutsu schools... jujutsu was regarded as violent and unfashionable in the Western-looking Meiji Restoration Japan. Hardly anyone wanted to practice it any more. Kano's real innovation was in marketing Judo in this social climate.

  3. #53
    NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Matt Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    9,756
    Style
    Submission Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dlloyd View Post
    The main obstacle was the lack of jujutsu schools... jujutsu was regarded as violent and unfashionable in the Western-looking Meiji Restoration Japan. Hardly anyone wanted to practice it any more. Kano's real innovation was in marketing Judo in this social climate.
    That's the social side of the same (in this case technical) innovation. He created a JJ that went with top hat and tails instead of katana and wakizashi.
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie


    KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

    In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

  4. #54

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    n.c
    Posts
    3
    Style
    drunken boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think that jjj deserves more attention because its origianal

  5. #55

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    549
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think classic jujutsu has just saturated the market. How about jujutsu with lime?

  6. #56

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,119
    Style
    Aikido,Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARPAChief View Post
    I think classic jujutsu has just saturated the market. How about jujutsu with lime?
    That would be Mexican Jujutsu.

  7. #57

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    549
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom .C View Post
    That would be Mexican Jujutsu.
    Our UK posters might disagree.

  8. #58
    NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Matt Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    9,756
    Style
    Submission Grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does Mexican JJ have a rivalry with Lucha Libre?
    Now darkness comes; you don't know if the whales are coming. - Royce Gracie


    KosherKickboxer has t3h r34l chi sao

    In De Janerio, in blackest night,
    Luta Livre flees the fight,
    Behold Maeda's sacred tights;
    Beware my power... Blue Lantern's light!

  9. #59
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,359
    Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by yatesdylan1 View Post
    i think that jjj deserves more attention because its origianal
    You do realize that Gendai jujutsu is alive and well in both the U.S. and Britain, right? I can't speak for Australia, but there are still plenty of people practicing what you call JJJ in the states and in old blighty.

    Koryu jujutsu maybe not so much, but I don't know enough about it either.
    Shut the hell up and train.

  10. #60
    Jim_Jude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,555
    Style
    StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    You do realize that Gendai jujutsu is alive and well in both the U.S. and Britain, right? I can't speak for Australia, but there are still plenty of people practicing what you call JJJ in the states and in old blighty.

    Koryu jujutsu maybe not so much, but I don't know enough about it either.
    I've worked with a few gendai jujutsu groups in the use, Small Circle & Budoshin, & they work quite well with Judo, much better than the Koryu stuff I've done. Plus you don't get all that looking down their nose snobbery that makes me want to punch somebody (specifically idiots who think that their wearing hakama makes them better than me).
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

    "The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

    "Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Page 6 of 11 First ... 2345678910 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO