Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 4:30am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Also... Ironically, this Ukemi is performed as part of a Yoshinkan Aikido instructional video:

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 4:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    Only the static formal form of training Ukemi is different, but when it comes down to performing Ukemi in a more dynamic setting it is pretty much all the same in my opinion and experience.
    The basic one you'll learn in beginner Aikido is tucking your legs, though. The circumstance he's talking about is learning it for a few months as a supplement to Judo, so I think it's worth pointing out a habit he should avoid.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 6:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The basic one you'll learn in beginner Aikido is tucking your legs, though. The circumstance he's talking about is learning it for a few months as a supplement to Judo, so I think it's worth pointing out a habit he should avoid.
    I don't think it's a big deal with just a little conscious effort he can choose to bend or straighten the leg. The roll is only a structured form of training he can choose to implement it in any way he wants.

I think doing ukemi slowly and softly in a dynamic Aikido technique (or a Judo throw done softly) can be more beneficial because rolling and standing up repeatedly on his own is one thing, but doing it while moving and being thrown is another thing, specially when he needs to build confidence and overcome fear.

I'm told to teach Ukemi often both in Judo and Aikido and this is what I noticed, I could be wrong though because I don't have much experience compared to some people here.

If his goal is ONLY Ukemi Aikido is a good choice, but I still think he shouldn't do Aikido just for that...

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 6:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    I don't think it's a big deal with just a little conscious effort he can choose to bend or straighten the leg.
    In order to make a conscious effort he has to be aware of it, which is why I posted...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 6:59am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In order to make a conscious effort he has to be aware of it, which is why I posted...
    I guess I missed the point lol.

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 10:11am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido will generally teach you to bend your legs underneath you as you roll so that you can easily stand back up/look cool. This is a fairly terrible idea if someone throws you downwards rather than projecting you laterally.
    You can take a roll with straight legs and still stand up and look cool, we do it all the time in judo. Aikido-style rolls won't help you when you get buried judo-style. You need to learn how to ukemi with the whole body, not just the slap but the extended leg and bent leg. If you get thrown hard with your hands tied up and you can't roll, what then?

There are lots of drills to learn ukemi that don't involve being thrown. Over the belt, jumping up grabbing uke's collar, that sort of thing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/14/2012 12:22pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've done Aikido for over 9 years. Japanese JJ for about 7, judo for 1.5 yrs. IMO, the falling you learn in aikido will not help unless you are going to a hardstyle school, like someone else mentioned. In a harder style, there are plenty of hard, fast sidefalls just like in judo.
    And for those of you who think all aikido falls are soft rolls, you don't know harder aikido styles. FWIW, the "judo roll" is a sidefall with a quick standup. It's not really a forward roll and it really torques my knees so I avoid it when I can. You won't do the aikido roll in judo randori or competition except with a few sacrifice throws.
    That being said, I've found that taking judo has immensely changed the way I see aikido. I was missing an entire critical element of it before.
    But I wouldn't go to aikido to learn how to fall in judo. In most aikido schools, the application is too different to cross over. Anything you would learn in aikido ukemi would take years to be useful in judo IMO.

Posted On:
    3/14/2012 1:47pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I learned ukemi in a very hard aikido style (thrown hard, smashed often). No problems at all when I started Judo years later. At the end of the day, though, ukemi is more about not being afraid and relaxing than anything else. As for the rolls, you don't really roll out of anything in Judo except maybe tomoe nage. The tucked/untucked leg thing is overblown.

Edit: Aikido still sucks; ukemi is the only useful thing I learned. Judo is awesome. You can also throw yourself at the ground before/after every class.
    Last edited by Res Judicata; 3/14/2012 2:01pm at .

Posted On:
    3/14/2012 2:34pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    The tucked/untucked leg thing is overblown.
    We drill an extended lower leg all the time, the other leg can be bent or extended. I say "extended" because it shouldn't be dead straight and stiff. I like the other leg bent so I can take some of the impact using my foot. No troubles coming up out of a roll or dive with both legs extended.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 1:24am

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the responses.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast