Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 3:45pm

Style: Tai Chi,BJJ,knife-dueling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I guess footwork is optional in his FMA.
    No kidding, and look at his constant accusations of us having "unbalanced footwork." Ballerinas we are not, but he was not exactly tripping the light fantastic himself.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 3:50pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGalbraith View Post
    Right now we are focusing on trying to figure out how to protect an even more important target: the front of the neck. Suggestions welcome.
    Kendo headgear has a hard throat protector, and a fencing mask usually has a bib to protect the neck (it's only meant to protect against a fencing sword though). Lynn Thompson's group is known to use cervical collars as part of their protective equipment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 5:06pm

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGalbraith View Post
    Right now we are focusing on trying to figure out how to protect an even more important target: the front of the neck. Suggestions welcome.
    Invest in a few leather gorgets. Your can get decent-but-not-very-pretty ones online for $40 or so.

I can't reccoment Kendo headgear - it's very encumbering and doesn't protect the ears well or the back of the head at all. When I 'fight' with shinai I just wear hand cover, a cup and a fencing mask but - it hurts but I've never borken anything more than a finger. With foam weapons the gear your are wearing plus a gorget should be more than sufficient and bordering on overkill.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 5:07pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh no no no. Always bring us this stuff, just cool down your emotions. It appeared that you were taking this WAY to serious.

This is some funny ****. The minute he threw out that BS certified and patented I knew this was going to end poorly.

Oh and this is now in YMAS. This is entirely too much fun to be in the toilet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 8:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    You guys are a club that meets once a month. For a certified instructor to be trolling your blog and youtube videos says everything to me.
    Bullseye.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 11:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something came up in this thread, "traditionalists" vs. "traditional martial arts." Hating traditionalists is not the same as hating TMA:

TMA = some old fashioned, heavily codified martial art. This could include some pretty backwards hand-to-hand training systems, but it could also include some really great stuff like Muay Thai and Judo.

Traditionalist = someone who likes tradition purely for tradition's sake. ("Kung Fu was proven on the ancient battle fields of China, so we must not let any techniques change because they will lose their deadliness.") Quite often this view accompanied by a no-sparring training methodology. ("I like to focus on Kung Fu forms and not on sparring, because sparring is sloppy and can develop bad habits.")

Traditionalists are often bad for TMA (especially since tried-and-true arts usually had sparring in the past,) and are often practicing arts that aren't really that traditional (ie BJJ is older than Aikido.)

:)

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 2:45am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so he showed up to one...looked...well..about the same as many or all of you, and then resorted to trolling? Was he trolling before he came to one? I'm confused, only...I have an excuse (tiny mind).

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 6:06am

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom .C View Post
    I have patented the "harsh glare"
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 7:51am

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any other FMA's train espada y daga with the daga in pakal grip? got to admit I am not a big fan of that grip,

My other question would be, if someone has 2 weapons, why not use them? he swaps to saksak occasional to use it, but very rarely uses the two weapons in concert? (Maybe I should raise a new thread in the FMA forum?)

P

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 8:15am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharabus View Post
    Any other FMA's train espada y daga with the daga in pakal grip? got to admit I am not a big fan of that grip,
    I've seen people go pakal for EyD (including one of my students), but I don't think I've ever seen it taught as such. I don't care for pakal in general, but a quote from Hock Hockheim ("why would you limit yourself to only learning half the ways to use a knife?") made me work with it more.

My other question would be, if someone has 2 weapons, why not use them? he swaps to saksak occasional to use it, but very rarely uses the two weapons in concert
    I think that was a result of him not having done a lot of sparring. If he's used to wooden weapons and no protective gear, then his level of sparring would necessarily have to be at a much lower intensity. Against a longer weapon, he should have stayed outside of largo as much as possible, used the stick as cover when bridging the gap, and stayed in corto to stab the crap out of the bat-wielder.
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 23456 7891016 ... LastLast