Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 7:56am

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah you have to watch out for those Filipino Marital arts, my friend got caught by those. Took him for all his worth then she disappeared with another guy.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 11:18am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before I start having fun, how much does your club cost BF? Please, no long winded explanation just a basic cost to join the club. You can say a "flat fee per month" if you don't want to divulge the exact amount.

I used U.F.C as an example, since that's what society accepts as a Martial Art when they hear that word. When you break down the material in that sport, it's combined with traditional Martial Arts, except it's mixed and the roots are not being acknowledged/expressed or respected, for the most part.That's what U.F.C has evolved into today for the past 10-15 yrs. I can get deeper on what U.F.C exactly is today, but again, that is not our argument.
    Nope, UFC is not a martial art it is a ruleset. It's mixed roots are acknowledged just not in the fashion you want.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 12:35pm

Style: Tai Chi,BJJ,knife-dueling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sean michael View Post
    So, my answer to your question, "What makes me qualified to comment on your technique?"
    How about my request "please post video of you weapon sparring?" That is really the only answer to that question I need, and I still don't have it.

The simple fact that you had stated that "Martial Art Techniques" are not useful in a real life situation.
    I have never said this. There is a lot of stuff I have left on the internet over the years that says the exact opposite of that. Let me be specific right now about this: a guy who went by "Lau Bun" (that is an extremely sanitized version of Lau Bun's personal history,) was what in my lineage would be my great-grand-master (one of the guys Doc Fai Wong studied from) was the last guy suspected of using Kung Fu for specific purpose of killing other people. Other people in our club share the same lineage as me and have heard the same things about him I have, and his name comes up because he had a lot to say about how to use Butterfly Swords/long-range-knife, small daggers/nails/close-range-knife, and staffs/spears/sharpened-broom-handles in a fight.

Doc Fai Wong has been adamant about using what Lynn Thompson would call a "palm reinforced grip" with the butterfly sword (which he learned from Lau Bun) - controversial because it does not take full advantage of the Butterfly Sword guard to protect the fingers. Here is a video of me practicing with the palm reinforced grip using long-range knife fighting techniques (against someone half my age and in better shape than I ever was):

I was also practicing "female triangle footwork" from FMA in that video. YOU are the one who said that that specific video is "just people swinging" and void of any kind of recognizable martial arts techniques, not ME.

What do you mean when you say "martial arts technique"? Please give an exact definition here, because it sounds like we are using different vocabulary.

Now, my question to you is, what makes you qualified to teach Martial Arts or self defense to the general public, when Tresespadas has no certified instructors?
    The only certification that could possibly matter to us would be rank or title based on competition (fight record, tournament achievements, that kind of stuff.) IF there was such a thing in "free style full-contact continous-sparring for weapons" certified instructors running around in the USA, your question would mean something, but right now there isn't any such thing. It's like asking "what makes you qualified to teach the public if you don't have any Unicorns?"

To me, a safety weapon could be a wooden weapon and depending on that wooden weapon, it can hit harder than a round-house kick or a punch. Self defense with weapons- I look at a real life encounter with weapons as a life or death situation.
    You frequently make assertions about our club that aren't true. Some of our weapons are made out of hard-rubber comparable to wood. On TresEspadas.org there are two sparring round videos posted from February 28th. After the 1st one I had slight bleeding from my right elbow, and after the second I had slight bleeding from my right outer ear (and those are our softer sparring knives.)

However, we also use Stiff Actionflex as recommended on The Dog Brother's own website. Since we work on a lot of non-FMA stuff, we also use LARP Calimacil weapons, since it would be dangerous to be doing what we do with rattan or wooden weapons on a regular monthly or weekly basis. (Dog Brother Gatherings happen on an annual basis, on their website they sell personally-endorsed action flex, know the difference.)

What I do teaches the traditional way and the combative way of the system, the traditional way are the roots of the system that I partake. The formal step by step of instruction is our "dead technique" the we test it with our "live technique" or "sparring."
    Really? Based on your comments I doubt it. Prove it: post video.
    You still have not even said one specific martial art style that you have supposedly studied. Start being specific, and stop talking in wide generalities.

So, for my closing to this tonight, you say that your inspiration for your club is the Dog Brothers, the Dog Brothers mainly use Filipino Marital Arts..
    To be clear, though we admire and respect the Dog Brothers martial art skill, it's their innovation in creating the learning environment that is their Gatherings that inspired us to start Tres Espadas, NOT their FMA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 12:38pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    Yeah you have to watch out for those Filipino Marital arts, my friend got caught by those. Took him for all his worth then she disappeared with another guy.
    are you sure it was a she? they can be tricky you know!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 12:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Before I start having fun, how much does your club cost BF?
    The dues are per-meeting (which right now are about 1 time per month, in the past they have been more and less frequent,) and are exactly "$10 unless you are too stingy or too poor, in which case pay whatever it is you are willing or able to pay. Please come even if that amount is $0." As you might suspect, the club dues are not yet paying for how quickly the equipment has to be replaced, something we are trying to turn around in 2012 (by actually collecting dues, which we actually haven't done at most meetings in the past.)
    Last edited by BFGalbraith; 3/12/2012 12:58pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 12:58pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Deep breath and don't assume you know where I am going. I am going to ask a few questions before I dive in.

You are a group of people that get together and work on strategies apparently once a month?
    What are the experience levels of the core group better known as the regulars you can count on?
    How many beginners are regulars?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 3:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are a group of people that get together and work on strategies apparently once a month?
    Yes. We also track our improvement as time goes on, as hinted in this video:

We are also working on badge system for getting beginners up to speed in key areas that are helpful for participating in this. The badges aren't rank and do not signify mastery, they signify "a reasonable amount of exposure to a specific range of techniques," are very sparring oriented, and do not cost extra money.

What are the experience levels of the core group better known as the regulars you can count on?
    Me and "Phil" are the two main core members who are regulars, then there's several people who show up around half of the time, and a few dozen people who show up once in a while.

My experience:

1 Year Tae Sho Arnis

3 Years in Doc Fai Wong's system under Vern Miller, including 18 months or so of trying to become a professional kickboxer, with two fight cards cancelled due to chronic wrist pain on my part. Also competed in the 2001 Tiger Balm in Tai Chi push hands and forms, got non-gold metals in beginner devision. Specifically studied "Double Daggers vs. Empty Hands" & Lau Bun Staff (aka "single and double ended" staff set.)

0.5 years of Judo at the Kitsap Judo Club and Seattle Dojo, plan to be back at the latter when my twisted ankle heals. On my 3rd Judo membership card in 10 years, very bad white belt.

1.5 years of Aikido with a stronger than usual emphasis on self-defense techniques and bokenjitsu.

And then there's a few years now with the Tres Espadas project, though that adds up to maybe 3 months in a martial arts class where you practice more often.

Lots of much shorter stints in various martial arts that I wouldn't count as experience, such as 3 months in TKD for example.

Phil's experience:

4 years of Doc Fai Wong's system under Vern Miller, with around 3 years of kickboxing, specifically studied single ended staff. Never on canceled fight card, BUT he was the main sparring partner for Margret McGregor for her infamous mixed-sex boxing match, and he's specifically mentioned here by name: http://assets.espn.go.com/boxing/new...08/103644.html
    He was also the main sparring partner for Jacob Mapes up until his first Kickboxing match (this isn't his first match, but it is Jacob Mapes, and that is indeed Vern Miller in his corner):

(Vern knows we are doing Tres Espadas. He has not endorsed it.)

There is a local Kitsap county martial arts expert who has never had his own open-to-the-public school, who teaches a variety of Chinese martial arts, western weapons, and FMA. He's well known in the SCA community around here as "Jes" or the guy with the sharp teeth. Phil has trained with Jes for a few years specifically in FMA. I don't know if I would count this, but Phil would.

Then Phil has about 50% more experience than me with Tres Espadas, because for while there I was more behind the scenes and less involved than him.

Incoming new members in the club's experience in martial arts varies greatly in both terms of length and quality. We've had people who were into the martial arts side of the SCA for 15 years show up, and we've had guys who had been doing sport jujitsu for several years show up (the big guy in the caution vs. aggression video.)

Maybe 1/3 of the people in Tres Espadas have no previous martial arts or full contact sports experience of any kind. They tend to learn pretty quickly how to hold their own (the "caution" guy in the caution vs. aggression video is one of these guys.)

How many beginners are regulars?
    Of the several people who come around half the time, about 1/3 had no previous martial arts experience (so it's pretty much the same proportion as new incoming people.)
    Last edited by BFGalbraith; 3/13/2012 3:46am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 3:52am

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pharabus View Post
    are you sure it was a she? they can be tricky you know!
    No that's Thailand...not that I would know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 4:56am

Style: ARNIS

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    B.F.Galbraith-

I would go back to your website and post here your comments, but you already deleted all of our comments/arguments, so I'm not going to bother with "you say, I say." As for my identity, which I'm sure you can't wait to find out, is irrelevant to the misleading teachings that your club has to offer because of websites allowing me to make a profile and not require my true identity. Like I have mentioned before on your site, I totally agree with your intention about your club, but a lot of material being used would get you killed or seriously injured in real life. I train with real sticks and wooden knives with no pads or protection. When you wear gear and spar, the fear factor is already taken out. It's like telling yourself that it's ok to get hit or stabbed because it don't hurt, that builds bad habits and can be a mind **** to oneself. I know what it feels to get hit with a rattan/wooden stick or a wooden knife, it doesn't feel good, but that makes me correct myself and not allow myself to get hit again. Of course in a knife fight, you're going to get cut because it's up close and very fast. But I would rather get cut in my hand or outer arm opposed to getting stabbed or cut in vital areas.

I explain things in wide generalities because I want you to try to understand what I am talking about, like one teacher to another "teacher"? Don't take my comments for what you may think it is, I have meanings to back up my wording. If you look at things up close, like sticking your face right into the words of a book, you don't see the whole picture and therefore you don't understand whats going on around you. Sometimes we all need to slow things down, stand back and look at the whole picture. It's better to go into a battle knowing things instead of going into a battle with your eyes closed. That even shows in physical movement when someone rushes in on the other person offensively expecting to land a strike/strikes or to dominate, but what happens to that person when things don't go their way and they don't have their guard up? Sometimes, people get lured into attacking and then get destroyed.

I'm glad you mention your lineage, some people don't know theirs. Do you still train in the Arts that you do? The videos that you posted aren't the only videos that make me choose my comments, I see a lot of swinging with the knife videos mainly, a lot of unbalanced footwork, a lot of "just jumping in" attacks. You've taken a lot of my previous comments as criticizing, but I was just pointing out things that can form bad habits.

Martial Art Techniques: A way of carrying out a particular task, an execution or the performance of a movement of artistic work, the skill or ability of martial arts or self defense. Is that a suitable definition for you? My meaning for the comments on your videos are, what self defense techniques are your group using when it comes to self defense? There's a lot of offense being used by both parties, are you teaching self defense or how to attack someone?

Thanks for your list of training or "safety" weapons, but that's irrelevant to my comment when you stated about a round house kick hitting harder than a safety weapon. Once again, you took my comment for what you think it is. If you are in a fight involving weapons, why would one use a round house kick? Why would any kind of high kick be used? And what's more serious, getting kicked or being stabbed or bashed with a blunt weapon to a vital area on your body?

So, the more you post updated videos, I hope to see more improvement. I really do, because you want people to have the knowledge and capability to defend themselves in real life situations. Not playing tag with weapons.

:)

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 1:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGalbraith View Post
    My first question for you sean michael is very direct: what makes you qualified to comment on our technique?
    I'm glad this is in Trollshido. Is this ^^^ the thing of it? He trolled your videos, and you're mad. That's the thing about putting videos up online, lots of people can see them.

I watched one of the vids, and for part of it, a guy's grabbing a sword blade for 10s or something.

Is TresEspadas a style, or a club? It looks like a fun get-together, but are there a set of techniques taught? Just curious.
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast