Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/09/2012 1:31pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Robstafarian I have not. That is my understanding as well. I was making a joke because everyone I talk to about the pre '83 models always bring that up as a major drawback.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    5/16/2012 4:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read somewhere that those doing the tests (California DOJ?) to find a problem with the 1911 design had to make a special frame and slide device to drop their test 1911 in order to get it to drop on the muzzle, as the weight of a loaded magazine causes the pistol to rotate butt first if dropped. Even then, they had to drop it something like 20' or 30' to generate enough momentum to cause the firing pin to travel forward with enough force to set off a round. I will be very careful not to drop my pistol under similar conditions. ;)

Follow up. I swapped out the stock grips with some darker ones, as I like the darker wood better.

The wood of these darker grips was a bit dry, so I soaked them in BLO (boiled linseed oil) for 24 hours, wipe off the excess and then hand rubbed to take down some of the shine.

I put a dot of bright yellow paint with an overlay of fluorescent paint on the front sight to make it easier to pick up and focus on in poor light.

I am saving up right now to swap out the A1 style grip safety with a Wilson drop-in beaver tail grip safety, as the standard A1 style digs into the web of my hand to the extent that it rubs a blister on the base of my thumb when I use a high hand grip (i.e. thumb on thumb safety).
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    8/08/2012 4:04pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After debating whether or not to have a McCormick beaver tail grip safety installed, which would require altering the frame, or go with the Wilson drop-in beaver tail, I went with the Wilson. Given that this is an original Series '70 and not one of the new reproductions from Colt, I decided I didn't want to make any mods that would require cutting or altering the frame or slide.

The Wilson drop-in safety required some fitting to my pistol but works well. I can now use a high hand grip without the grip safety digging into the base of my thumb.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	With new Beaver Tail.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	13572  

Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Yours truly

Posted On:
    8/23/2012 1:48pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TEA, how about a blacked out rear and FO front sight, like from Warren tactical? I statred to enjoy having a nice, wide rear sight now.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Posted On:
    8/23/2012 1:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The USMC drank your Koolaid too...

http://dyn.politico.com/members/foru...readid=6859880

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    8/24/2012 7:49am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    TEA, how about a blacked out rear and FO front sight, like from Warren tactical? I statred to enjoy having a nice, wide rear sight now.
    I've already been thinking along those lines, but with a Tritium front instead of fiber optic. Novak makes a rear carry sight now that will fit in a standard 1911A1 dovetail and Trijicon makes a tritium front sight with a narrow tenon for pre-Series 80 frames. I've added both of these to my Amazon wishlist.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/892...cut-steel-blue

http://www.fusionfirearms.com/servle...dsh-mil/Detail

P.S. I've also added a pair of elk antler grips from Eagle Grips to my wishlist, too, but these are pretty low on my priority list and are purely for aesthetic reasons rather than practical reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Yes, I read that on a couple of other forums. Pretty cool. There has been a lot of discussion/speculation, though, on why they went with Colt instead of Springfield (Made in USA vs Made in Brazil) and second guessing the decision to go with the Series 80 firing system.
    Last edited by TEA; 8/24/2012 8:01am at . Reason: Post Script
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Posted On:
    8/24/2012 11:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TEA View Post
    There has been a lot of discussion/speculation, though, on why they went with Colt instead of Springfield (Made in USA vs Made in Brazil) and second guessing the decision to go with the Series 80 firing system.
    IIRC Colt uses forged / machined receivers while Springfield uses investment cast parts produced by Imbel.

Having played with Colts and Springers alike there is defnitely a difference in QC. Colt makes a solid, heavy, well machined .45. Springfeild makes them "good enough". JMHO

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    9/08/2012 5:31pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Springfield 1911s have forged slides and frames (their M1A receivers are investment cast in Canada), but a lot more of the small parts are MIM than on Colt's and, as you noted, SAI outsources to Brazil for their 1911 parts.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2012 11:22pm

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sold my 1911 and all related items recently; I need the money for prototyping my inventions which, I hope, will allow me to get off welfare and build a life. I look at it like starting a business, without actually starting a business. As I near 30, the prospect of not being able to afford a wife and kids is on my mind more than it has any right to be (I'm single).

Someday, I'll buy a GLOCK 19 and set up for concealed carry, but it's all about affording my future now. All this becomes even more important if certain politicians make good on their promise to destroy my only source of income.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    9/13/2012 7:28pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

update

Just ordered the plain black Novak carry sight for standard 1911 dovetail and a narrow tenon (i.e. original USGI spec) Trijicon tritium front sight that I linked earlier. I also ordered some stag horn grips for purely aesthetic reasons. These are pretty similar from the same seller on e-bay: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqJ,!poE+o(4mqmVBQBH2GfjS!~~60_57.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	13715

Here's a pic of the Novak rear sight:

and one of the Trijicons:

Once I get all the parts and instal, I will post some updated pics.
    Last edited by TEA; 9/13/2012 7:35pm at .
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast