218358 Bullies, 5194 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 7 of 7
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Mister is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cairo, Egypt
    Posts
    645

    Posted On:
    3/10/2012 6:55am


     Style: Injured

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Judo Solo Drill

    I came across these videos and I was wondering if doing these solo drills is useful for me or not.

    Also is it correct to enter with a turned foot without the whole body? (he mentions it in the start of the forward throws drill) his reasoning is that if you enter with your whole body you can be easily countered.





    Thanks in advance.
  2. judoka_uk is offline
    judoka_uk's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,658

    Posted On:
    3/10/2012 7:24am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    I came across these videos and I was wondering if doing these solo drills is useful for me or not.
    Don't watch Lowry videos, they're universally bad. Also don't do solo drills until you're a 1st kyu/ 1st dan.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    Also is it correct to enter with a turned foot without the whole body? (he mentions it in the start of the forward throws drill) his reasoning is that if you enter with your whole body you can be easily countered.
    .
    Isao Okano says no.

  3. Mister is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cairo, Egypt
    Posts
    645

    Posted On:
    3/10/2012 8:39am


     Style: Injured

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Don't watch Lowry videos, they're universally bad. Also don't do solo drills until you're a 1st kyu/ 1st dan.
    Too bad...I thought solo drills could help me because I suck at Judo.

    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Isao Okano says no.

    Well I suppose if he says no then it's no, lol.

    Thanks mate.
  4. BKR is offline
    BKR's Avatar

    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    3,799

    Posted On:
    4/01/2012 1:39pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that these solo drills are too complicated for beginners who have no previous knowledge or skill in judo. I've got whole sets of them that are simpler to do and seem more directly related to the actual skills involved in nage waza. The whole turning the foot first thing is not necessary. I can see what he is getting at, but in reality, focusing on the foot like that is a distraction. You have to move your whole body to the correct position.

    The concept of what he was showing in the first video was not off, he touches on action reaction, body position, use of hands, etc. But in reality, he is doing so much more than he is actually talking about. Plus, obviously, overweight, stiff, out of practice as well, so not well demo'd.

    Kind of like me!

    Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980
  5. Jim_Jude is offline
    Jim_Jude's Avatar

    Shime Waza Test Dummy

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,555

    Posted On:
    4/01/2012 6:15pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what's the difference between doing uchi komi with grips on someone's gi or on ropes/bands attached to a tree or a wall? If you know the technique, have the footwork down, what's the problem? My instructor has all of the kyu ranks doing solo stuff, as long as he approves them as knowing the technique well enough to not reinforce bad habits, & it seems to work just fine.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

    "The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

    "Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
  6. BKR is offline
    BKR's Avatar

    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    3,799

    Posted On:
    4/01/2012 6:33pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    what's the difference between doing uchi komi with grips on someone's gi or on ropes/bands attached to a tree or a wall? If you know the technique, have the footwork down, what's the problem? My instructor has all of the kyu ranks doing solo stuff, as long as he approves them as knowing the technique well enough to not reinforce bad habits, & it seems to work just fine.
    First off, with instructors approval/supervision, no problem on my part (assuming competent instructor). That's usually the advice I give anyway.

    Second, there is a difference between tandoku renshuu (solo training) vs using a live partner for sure. Both obviously have their place. There is a difference between different uke in terms of doing uchikomi or nagekomi as well.

    3rd, if someone knows the technique/tai sabaki, etc., then solo training is appropriate. The problems I've seen involve beginners who have none of that or not much of it and reinforce incorrect habits.

    Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980
  7. Jim_Jude is offline
    Jim_Jude's Avatar

    Shime Waza Test Dummy

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    3,555

    Posted On:
    4/01/2012 7:40pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    First off, with instructors approval/supervision, no problem on my part (assuming competent instructor). That's usually the advice I give anyway.

    Second, there is a difference between tandoku renshuu (solo training) vs using a live partner for sure. Both obviously have their place. There is a difference between different uke in terms of doing uchikomi or nagekomi as well.

    3rd, if someone knows the technique/tai sabaki, etc., then solo training is appropriate. The problems I've seen involve beginners who have none of that or not much of it and reinforce incorrect habits.

    Ben
    Okay, thx
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

    "The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

    "Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.