Sponsored Links Spacer Image

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 10:35am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So, I was finally thinking of getting a Glock...

So, for a few months now, I've been thinking of finally getting a Glock in 9mm. I have a number of reasons for this.

1.) I don't have any reloading equipment and shooting factory .45 ACP is frustratingly expensive. (I'd like to get into reloading as well, since I now have space for a reloading bench, but that's a story for another thread, I guess.) I realize you're not supposed to run reloads through Glocks, but factory bulk 9mm is just about as cheap as it gets for a defensive round, right?

2.) I want a handgun that is both accurate and reliable. Right now I have a Kimber 1911 that's accurate, but not reliable, and a Ruger P series that's reliable, but with which I am a little less accurate due to awkward trigger pull and so-so sights.

3.) I got a nice tactical light for Camp Skeletor that I currently cannot mount on any of my real weapon systems because they don't have rails. My understanding is that the Gen 4 Glock 17 has a rail that would allow me to mount the light and continue to train low light tactics.

4.) I'm trying to be careful about money, and I know that Glocks are relatively affordable. I've actually been considering trading in my Mini 14 at a local gunshop towards the purchase of my hypothetical Glock. The Mini 14 was my first tactical rifle, but now that I have both an AK 47 and A2 style AR, it sort of falls between those two platforms.

So, does anyone have any experience with one of the Gen 4 glocks? Any good reviews? Bad ones? How much did you pay for it?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Flyweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 10:39am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding reloads with a Glock, hickock45 on YouTube shoots a crapton of reloads through his Glocks and never seems to have an issue.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 12:01pm

Style: Traditional Mix

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Our department converted to Glocks, much to my dismay (being as I carried a Sig P226). Once I got accustomed to the Glock, I could not see how anyone could not fire one without hitting their target. Very easy to handle and maintain. Might consider the 40 S&W as opposed to the 9mm. Lots of knock down, easy to handle recoil and still easy on the wallet. Have the model 22 and 27 and love them.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 1:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a Gen 1 model 23 and a Gen 4 Model 19.

I still believe the Glock to be the best 'out-of-the-box' gun a person can buy. I love mine.

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 2:35pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My carry pistol is a Glock 26 Gen 4. It's been outstanding. I've also owned a Gen 4 Glock 17 that I did a review on a couple of years ago:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...t=96790&page=1

I love Glock pistols. I can't imagine carrying anything other than my Glock 26. It just rides IWB perfectly. The only alternative to Glock that I've found that I like as much so far is my newest pistol: A Walther PPQ 9mm. They're pretty rare to find right now, but they're fully ambidextrous pistols with fantastic ergonomics and the trigger is smoother than on a Glock. Mine has been flawless so far, and I may review it later on as well.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 3:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a big Glock fan. My Glock 26 is one of my favorite concealed carry guns. I like them all. The only ones I've ever heard of having any problems are the ones in .357 Sig. My cop buddy said they've experienced quite a few malfunctions on the range with that particular caliber.

I know everyone is particular to certain calibers and I tend to be a .45 guy but I like the Glock in 9mm. The Glock was designed around the 9mm cartridge and it's just perfect in my opinion.

Plus, a Glock will allow you to satisfy your bizarre bayonet fetish.

Name:  bayonet.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  73.2 KB

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 3:54pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do want to mention something about the Gen 4 Glocks in particular. The new texture. My mitts get very sweaty at the range and most pistols get quite slippery. The newest RTF3 Texture on the Gen 4 Glocks has NEVER given me an issue. No need for any aftermarket tape or anything on them in my experience. My Glock 26, even with my pinky dangling off of it, stays put in my hand wonderfully. I've also gotten very used to the Glock ergonomics. The hump is a little awkward at first, but I actually love it now. It fills my palm very well and I've become extremely comfortable with it. Ugly guns, but they're very utilitarian.

Another thing to note is the trigger reset. The click is an addiction of mine on a pistol. The more I shoot Glocks, the more I love it. You'll never have an issue with guessing whether or not you've fully reset the trigger because it will snap forward with authority when you're ready to discharge the weapon again. I've purged all DA/SA autos from my collection because of how in love with it I am.

YMMV.