225100 Bullies, 3632 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 79
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast
  1. 1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Monday Motivation: Fat America

    Look at that.



    If that doesn't make you want to eat a effing salad and go for a jog, then I don't know what to say. Actually, I do:



    This isn't just an "America" thing either, the whole "first world" is turning into amorphous sacks of lard. It'd be easy to blame it on diet, but we're also significantly more sedentary than we were 30 years ago.

    That's where the "Motivation" comes in. If you do have a job where you're sitting on your ass for the better portion of the day, get up every hour, on the hour, and move If you've got stairs, walk up and down them quickly. Walk around the building, or something.

    If you're at home, do pushups during commercial breaks. Stay on your feet while playing video games instead of sitting down. Make sure you do at least one "outdoor" activity on the weekend, even if the weather is shitty (HTFU).

    It goes without saying for a lot of us here, but too many kids these days aren't being prepared for a life of activity by their parents; they're being prepared for a life of inactivity; because Xboxes and MTV make for cheap babysitters for parents who'd rather do their own thing than enable their children's success. I see this first-hand, as someone who gets recruits ready to attend Army Basic Combat Training; and these are kids that already pass the minimum requirements for weight.

    In short, stay off your ass; asses are for kicking.

  2. thrutch is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    C*nt London
    Posts
    552

    Posted On:
    3/05/2012 10:13am


     Style: Shorin Ryu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sooooo read that as:

    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    asses are for fucking.
    The UK's got more than it's fair share of fat kids. Doesn't help that parents are **** scared to let them out of the house unsupervised for fear of (mostly) death/paedo/paedodeath. As a parent myself I sympathise with this to a point, but it's lead to a situation where parents won't let their kids walk/cycle to school or go out to play football/whatever. Throw into the mix things like microwave meals & fast food and you've got a bunch of kids where a large proportion has a vastly different attitude to exercise and diet than they did a generation ago.

    Today's fat kids become tomorrow's fat adults and the cycle will repeat ad-infatibum.

    What can the rest of us do? It's tricky. I try to get fat friends to come and do something sporty with me - badminton or swimming. I've tried to get my son to ask a couple of his fat mates if they'd want taking to judo with him. In both cases I've largely been met with a flat lack of interest.

    Sometimes all you can do is look after yourself. As far as motivation goes, the bloke who sits next to me in the office has a waist size bigger than his height. Seeing him wheezing around and doing blood sugar tests for his lard-induced diabetes is enough motivation for me to stay active and steer clear of the pies in the canteen.
  3. Devil is offline
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,694

    Posted On:
    3/05/2012 10:27am

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    I sooooo read that as:



    The UK's got more than it's fair share of fat kids. Doesn't help that parents are **** scared to let them out of the house unsupervised for fear of (mostly) death/paedo/paedodeath. As a parent myself I sympathise with this to a point, but it's lead to a situation where parents won't let their kids walk/cycle to school or go out to play football/whatever. Throw into the mix things like microwave meals & fast food and you've got a bunch of kids where a large proportion has a vastly different attitude to exercise and diet than they did a generation ago.

    Today's fat kids become tomorrow's fat adults and the cycle will repeat ad-infatibum.

    What can the rest of us do? It's tricky. I try to get fat friends to come and do something sporty with me - badminton or swimming. I've tried to get my son to ask a couple of his fat mates if they'd want taking to judo with him. In both cases I've largely been met with a flat lack of interest.

    Sometimes all you can do is look after yourself. As far as motivation goes, the bloke who sits next to me in the office has a waist size bigger than his height. Seeing him wheezing around and doing blood sugar tests for his lard-induced diabetes is enough motivation for me to stay active and steer clear of the pies in the canteen.
    I employ a different strategy to facilitate my son's success in life. I feed all his buddies cake now so he'll get the girls later.
  4. Gabetuno is offline
    Gabetuno's Avatar

    Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    3,295

    Posted On:
    3/05/2012 11:07am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    Look at that.



    If that doesn't make you want to eat a effing salad and go for a jog, then I don't know what to say. Actually, I do:



    This isn't just an "America" thing either, the whole "first world" is turning into amorphous sacks of lard. It'd be easy to blame it on diet, but we're also significantly more sedentary than we were 30 years ago.

    That's where the "Motivation" comes in. If you do have a job where you're sitting on your ass for the better portion of the day, get up every hour, on the hour, and move If you've got stairs, walk up and down them quickly. Walk around the building, or something.

    If you're at home, do pushups during commercial breaks. Stay on your feet while playing video games instead of sitting down. Make sure you do at least one "outdoor" activity on the weekend, even if the weather is shitty (HTFU).

    It goes without saying for a lot of us here, but too many kids these days aren't being prepared for a life of activity by their parents; they're being prepared for a life of inactivity; because Xboxes and MTV make for cheap babysitters for parents who'd rather do their own thing than enable their children's success. I see this first-hand, as someone who gets recruits ready to attend Army Basic Combat Training; and these are kids that already pass the minimum requirements for weight.

    In short, stay off your ass; asses are for kicking.
    I think this is more byproduct of the baby boomers. My whole generation was raised with an attitude of "you can be anything you want to be," but also "and you don't have to do anything you don't want to do." Every other kid was a special little snowflake who got doted on and coddled.

    So naturally their abilities for self-control, self-restraint, and acting like responsible people are impaired.

    By the way, I say this as one of the accused. I, myself, was 265lbs in 2006 and living quite the sedentary lifestyle. Luckily for me, my father is much older than the baby boomer gen (he's 83, in point of fact). Watching him handle his own body poorly, watching his ability to walk be worn down year after year, plus the work ethic I learned in wrestling all contributed to me dragging my sorry ass back into the gym. I'm lucky though, as I had my best friend running right along side me at every mile.

    Anyway, **** the 45-70 year olds. You've ruined the world in more ways than I can count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.


  5. money is offline
    money's Avatar

    Flyweight

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    1,577

    Posted On:
    3/05/2012 11:11am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is another example of our state motto in action. "Alabama: Not quite as bad as Mississippi"
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj
  6. Bneterasedmynam is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    2,117

    Posted On:
    3/05/2012 12:40pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I blame at least 20% of this problem on the schools, most of which have outright eliminated their P.E. programs. The other 80 is all on the parents. I just don't understand how anyone could let their kids get that way. If you want to **** up your own health that's one thing, but for fucks sake give your kids a chance at a life that isn't lard filled.
  7. Bneterasedmynam is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    2,117

    Posted On:
    3/05/2012 1:00pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also you forgot the 2012 childhood obesity example:
  8. Devil is offline
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,694

    Posted On:
    3/05/2012 1:00pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not going to bother searching for it again because I'm lazy, but I was reading the other day about some study that concluded the father's behavior is the most likely indicator of whether kids grow up to be fatasses. Not the mother's.

    Kids whose Dads eat healthy and excercise tend to be good to go. Kids with tubby sloths for fathers are more likely to turn out that way as well.
  9. Gabetuno is offline
    Gabetuno's Avatar

    Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    3,295

    Posted On:
    3/05/2012 1:05pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I blame at least 20% of this problem on the schools, most of which have outright eliminated their P.E. programs. The other 80 is all on the parents. I just don't understand how anyone could let their kids get that way. If you want to **** up your own health that's one thing, but for fucks sake give your kids a chance at a life that isn't lard filled.
    P.E. programs are a joke and always have been. Required athletics and a corresponding department for the school is where it's at. It'll teach a lot of these kids how to lose in life too, rather than pulling out a knife or a gun at the first sign that their **** might actually stink.

    I was lucky enough to go to a school which insisted on 2/3 seasons of sports per year as a requirement, and I'm better off for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.


  10. jnp is offline
    jnp's Avatar

    Titanium laced beauty

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,230

    Posted On:
    3/05/2012 1:19pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my opinion, playing sports, being on a team and competing on a regular basis is one of the best character building activities available to modern youth.

    The physical benefits are nice too.
    Shut the hell up and train.
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.