222339 Bullies, 4255 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 23
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. judoka_uk is offline
    judoka_uk's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,618

    Posted On:
    3/05/2012 6:40pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    Didn't even know you could do that on JF. Anyway, someone needs to be there when people are posting vids of Josh Barnett doing "guard" "passing".
    Click on your name top right and select 'Manage ignored users' from the dropdown menu.
  2. PointyShinyBurn is online now
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar

    Gnarly King of Half-Guard

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,220

    Posted On:
    3/05/2012 6:53pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    In a more general martial arts sense, I would describe the toe hold thing as "beating the new guys with gimmicks", which instills in them a desire to learn all the gimmicks, whereas beating the new guys with solid basics instills a desire for solid basics. One leads to a technically sound competitor, one leads to youtube.
    Why is a toe-hold more a gimmick than an RNC?
  3. Permalost is offline
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,480

    Posted On:
    3/05/2012 7:24pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Why is a toe-hold more a gimmick than an RNC?
    I guess because we're talking about judoforum.
  4. Vince Tortelli is offline

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    4,000

    Posted On:
    3/05/2012 7:27pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Josh Barnett is a black belt in BJJ. (He typed, laughing maniacally)

    And I think some of you are confusing toe holds with heel hooks. It's the latter where you don't feel pain until after your knee has imploded. A toe hold's mechanics are different and it attacks a different joint. For heaven's sake, Tank Abbot had enough grappling awareness to submit before he got hurt by a Frank "Your Functional Limbs Offend Me At A Philosophical Level" Mir toe hold. Surely even a BJJ white belt has a better idea of when to tap than Tank Abbot.

    Although first grappling session ever Hedge is right, chokes or gently applied straight armbars are the best. Even if the new guy wants to fight me to the death and forearm smash past my guard...well, that's why wrist locks from the knee on belly postion were invented.
  5. dflanmod is offline
    dflanmod's Avatar

    Welterweight

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    858

    Posted On:
    3/05/2012 8:13pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anybody faggy enough to go with an elfin/elven name on an internet forum is bound to be a raging douche nozzle and hardly worth "rubbing dicks with".


    Glorfindel??? Really?????
  6. ADM is offline
    ADM's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,729

    Posted On:
    3/05/2012 8:13pm


     Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're probably right, but just so you know, people on their first couple of lessons don't know **** and you don't know **** about them (if they let submissions go long, etc).
  7. JohnnyCache is offline
    JohnnyCache's Avatar

    All Out of Bubblegum

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,471

    Posted On:
    3/05/2012 8:13pm

    supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    Josh Barnett is a black belt in BJJ. (He typed, laughing maniacally)

    And I think some of you are confusing toe holds with heel hooks. It's the latter where you don't feel pain until after your knee has imploded. A toe hold's mechanics are different and it attacks a different joint. For heaven's sake, Tank Abbot had enough grappling awareness to submit before he got hurt by a Frank "Your Functional Limbs Offend Me At A Philosophical Level" Mir toe hold. Surely even a BJJ white belt has a better idea of when to tap than Tank Abbot.

    Although first grappling session ever Hedge is right, chokes or gently applied straight armbars are the best. Even if the new guy wants to fight me to the death and forearm smash past my guard...well, that's why wrist locks from the knee on belly postion were invented.
    Tank abbot was an all American wrestler. True story.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
  8. Lebell is offline
    Lebell's Avatar

    Just waiting for the paperboy.

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lolland
    Posts
    12,496

    Posted On:
    3/05/2012 8:15pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hedge should stop looking for fights over the internet and persue his longings to meet men over the internet in some other way.
    I'm sure there are plenty of sites that can cater this wish.

  9. dflanmod is offline
    dflanmod's Avatar

    Welterweight

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    858

    Posted On:
    3/06/2012 2:48am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dflanmod View Post
    Anybody faggy enough to go with an elfin/elven name on an internet forum is bound to be a raging douche nozzle and hardly worth "rubbing dicks with".


    Glorfindel??? Really?????
    I have decided that I'm faggy enough to go with a LOTR name. Kinda looking forward to being extra douchy.

    ATTENTION MODs
    I herebye request a user name change to....
    Frodo Teabaggins


    PS. of course I'm too douchy to pay for the name change.
  10. BudoMonkey is offline
    BudoMonkey's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Miami, Fl
    Posts
    1,770

    Posted On:
    3/06/2012 4:47am


     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fight this elf to the death
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

    Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.