Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 6:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Can't decide what art to learn

Hi All. I just started trying MAs a few weeks ago and I have the problem that I am enjoying them all. Unfortunately, as I have limited time (and healing capacity) I can't do them all. I started four weeks ago with Jujitsu Foundation. The breakfalling is great fun and the people are really friendly. Unfortunately, I have some scepticism about the technique and the non physical training is a bit annoying.

I tried a Judo class today and loved it. I found that non of the things I learnt in TJF worked against a resisting opponent. I tried a minor inner reap throw and ended up on the ground. My opponent had managed to throw me when I was unbalanced. Also, Judo was 10x more physically demanding - my Gi was soaking afterwards.

I've found that I enjoy the ground grappling a lot, so I'm going to try BJJ at the weekend.

So my question is what arts should I dedicate my time to. I think I can put in enough time in two, either BJJ and TJF, or BJJ and Judo, or TJF and Judo. Assuming I enjoy BJJ, what two arts do you think would give me the best self defence skills. I am not aiming to become a fighter, nor am I looking for fights, but I would like to learn some skills which might help me in the future.

Thanks for the help!

Oh, last question - do you get cauliflower ears from training in BJJ? I'm trying to avoid broken noses and other disfigurement as much as possible!

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 7:18pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by timothius View Post
    Hi All. I just started trying MAs a few weeks ago and I have the problem that I am enjoying them all. Unfortunately, as I have limited time (and healing capacity) I can't do them all. I started four weeks ago with Jujitsu Foundation. The breakfalling is great fun and the people are really friendly.
    Do you mean “The Jitsu Foundation”? There have been threads about them here before—consult the search function—and the consensus opinion was “not impressed”.

So my question is what arts should I dedicate my time to. I think I can put in enough time in two, either BJJ and TJF, or BJJ and Judo, or TJF and Judo. Assuming I enjoy BJJ, what two arts do you think would give me the best self defence skills.
    Judo and BJJ have a lot of overlap. This means both that you’ll be able to transfer lessons from one art to the other, and that you’ll get more reps in with stuff you learn—but also that they aren’t covering different ranges. If self defence is a major goal of yours, the goal (à la Thornton) is to cover all three ranges of a fight—free-moving, clinch, and ground—with arts that provide alive training. You might consider something like: one of boxing and Muay Thay, along with one of BJJ, judo, and wrestling.

Or just go do what you enjoy and avoid getting in fights, knowing that as long as you get alive training in, you’re a lot better off than you could be in the unfortunate event of **** hitting fans.

Oh, last question - do you get cauliflower ears from training in BJJ? I'm trying to avoid broken noses and other disfigurement as much as possible!
    You’re unlikely to break your nose in BJJ, but yeah, cauliflower happens—as does it in judo. The reality is that any unarmed martial arts training sufficiently realistic to actually impart useful fighting skills is necessarily pretty physical, and these things—cauliflower from grappling, busted noses from boxing, and so on—are risks you face.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 7:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers for the reply. Yup, sorry meant the Jitsu Foundation.

I've read the threads before and the reviews were not good. I can agree with pretty much all of the comments. TJF is big on breakfalls, but I sucked in Judo today when I tried to apply some of the locks / throws I've been taught. They just didn't work. At no time did my sparing partner extend their limbs in the position I require to put the lock on and I couldn't use strength to get them there.

The other problem I'm having with TJF is that wrists are constantly sprained from people being overzealous with wrist locks, which has ruined my squash game!

I hadn't considered the striking arts. I'm very small and lightly built so not sure how much effect my strikes could have, which is why I've always admired grappling.

Overall I've been really impressed with how all the clubs i've been going too have been friendly and professional.
    Last edited by timothius; 3/15/2012 7:30pm at .

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 7:32pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I’ve seen some very small people beat some very large people in BJJ, so it certainly offers a lot of tools to negate size differences, that’s for sure. I should also add that cauliflower ears are not inevitabilities (my ears may not be identical to their state five years ago, before I started training, but the damage is minor and nobody notices—and that’s after almost five years of training). But any kind of fight training will involve risk of cosmetic damage, as well as injury. I reckon the injury risk is balanced out by the general health improvement of frequent hard exercise as opposed to the massive amount of sitting on my ass I would do without grappling.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 12:12am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Jitsu Foundation sounds like crapola, and you've obviously grasped that their locks are worthless in sparring and typical of bs dojo's techniques, have actually caused you injuries! So why even consider that ****? There are plenty of friendly schools that don't teach bullshit. BJJ is great and you already love Judo. I'd stick with Judo (you already love it!) and if you have the time and money, BJJ. Eventually you can learn standup as time and money permit. I wouldn't worry about SD skills, mostly fights are easy to avoid and Judo is a great SD art (really concerned about SD, get some shoulder knives and mace and a gun etc).
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 1:23am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you can always wear headgear while sparringt to protect your ears. people may give you **** about it, but so fucking what if you dont end up uglified by cauliflower ear. nobody thinks thats hot, i know from when i played rugby as a back we got a lot more action than the forward pack and their fucked up ears/faces.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 4:31am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't recommend the Jitsu Foundation, but if you've only been training a few weeks then I wouldn't really expect you to be able to pull off many throws in free sparring - even if you were training in a really good school/style.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 5:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cauliflower ear isn't inevitable, if you wear headgear (I have these, they're not terrible) when your ears hurt and get them drained if they blow up then you can keep them looking normal. Or just wear head gear all the time, if the idea really bothers you.

I used to train TJF, everything they do that isn't total bullshit, Judo does better. If you want to be a competent all-ranges fighter the easiest route is to train at a credible MMA club. I'm firmly of the opinion that self-defence is not a real thing, but if you train a couple of years of BJJ and Judo you'll find that the average moron is pretty easy pickings should you need to choke a bitch.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 3:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replys everyone. I'll keep with Judo and give BJJ a go as so far I've really enjoyed grappling.

I was thinking of Andy Roberts Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Academy to do BJJ training on Saturdays. Not sure about what Judo club to go to though as I'm finding it hard to find ones near Guildford.

The one I went to was a student club and there is some confusion as to whether I can join as I'm not a student.

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 3:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by timothius View Post
    The one I went to was a student club and there is some confusion as to whether I can join as I'm not a student.
    Usually you can't, there are occasionally exceptions.

Here's a list of clubs by county, click on your county or nearby county to find a club:
    http://www.britishjudo.org.uk/thesport/findclub.php

If you really want to learn proper Judo and live in Surrey then go to Camberely:
    http://www.camberleyjudo.co.uk/

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast