Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 7:16pm

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kettlebell training

Has anyone used Dr Mark Cheng's kettlebell training or similar kettlebell training and seen an increase in their explosiveness and/or power?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 8:01pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been doing Anthony Dilugio's (spelling?) "Enter the Kettlebell" workout for about six weeks. I've noticed that the workouts have become easier compared to when I started.

I'm not sure how exactly how to measure explosiveness and I'm not sure what you mean by "power". If you mean work/time=power, than I suppose I've increased my power with the kettlebell.

Overall, I feel like the kettlebell has helped my rehab my knee and increase my stamina.

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 8:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the input. Explosiveness and power may be one in the same. I'm pulling these terms from this months Black Belt Magazine where they interview Dr Cheng and those are words he uses to explain the effect of his training.

Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 8:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If anything BB mag always seems to feature articles on those who frequently pay for advertisements in the mag. The guy in the ad er *ahem, "article" was probably just using ambiguous buzz words to get people to buy his crap. Can you link or copy/paste the article?

Who knows he may even have a legit kettlebell program i'm just leary of anything in BB mag. Do you have any info on the actual routine?

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 8:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was kinda getting the feeling that's what happens. There's no info on any of the actual exercises, just a nifty ad on the next page with a link to order his "Kettlebell Warrior." www.dragondoor.com/DVS033

Start a training log!

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 9:20pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen a lot of kettlebell programs and most are atleast decent. My current favs come from www.MyMadMethods.com http://mymadmethods.com/workout-data...ebell-workouts

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 9:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you noticed any extra or different benefits with your martial arts using kettlebells over weights or other strength training methods? I'm using P90X right now, so I'm using resistance bands. I'm just trying to get a feel for what martial artists feel helps them the most with their art.

Start a training log!

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 9:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    Have you noticed any extra or different benefits with your martial arts using kettlebells over weights or other strength training methods? I'm using P90X right now, so I'm using resistance bands. I'm just trying to get a feel for what martial artists feel helps them the most with their art.

I'm not sure about kettlebells specifically but I had more than a couple of my BJJ buddies comment on how strong a felt for my size back when I was doing stronglifts. Not that strength is necessarily a good thing most BJJ newbs know what it's like to roll with a smaller guy who is also a newb and how easy it can be to overcome them with a little strength.

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 10:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Were you doing any striking at the time? That's more what I'm wondering about.

Start a training log!

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 11:37pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post

My favorite kb exercises are the swing (Russian and American), the snatch, the clean and the turkish getup.

The swing I tend to go heavy on and it will develop some mean hip snap that I have found translates well to grappling and standup. Its an overall great movement that can be used for explosive power and endurance.

The snatch is a great way to build upon the swing. Besides its conditioning benefits it really teaches you how to transfer power from feet to hands in one powerful motion. I find it enhances throws and strikes.

The clean is something I've always loved be it barbell, kettlebell, clubbell or sandbag. It builds explosive strength and trains you to keep the elbows tight. One bit of training advise I would give is don't be lazy on the unloading phase of the clean. The biggest benefit for a martial artist that the clean gives perhaps is learning how to coil and uncoil your power from the core without letting the elbows flare.

Lastly the Turkish Getup is a classic exercise. The old catch wrestlers were very big on the getup and supposedly a new student would have to be able to perform the getup with 100lbs on either side before he was ready to become a wrestler. I'd say that advice holds true to this day. If you can getup with 100lbs you are a beast.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast