Lightweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 12:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, MT, KM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grody.

I hear tell deep fried sushi is the business though.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Irodori sushi-8.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	13003

That's what I'm talmbout.

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 12:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol Blasphemy!

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 1:28pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    lol Blasphemy!

That is a beautiful man. An uncompromising commitment to quality is never a bad thing in a sushi chef.

Loved the "Treat everybody the same", comment.

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 1:36pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He's right about the tuna. The best meal I've ever eaten was at a little hole in the wall place in Osaka that specialized in tuna. They had tuna from all over the world and it was all magnificent.

Deep fried sushi is an abomination. But I'm a sushi snob-I loathe Americanized sushi.

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 1:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    That is a beautiful man. An uncompromising commitment to quality is never a bad thing in a sushi chef.

Yes, the "Everybody hates him, he's too picky!!" comment at the fish market was awesome too.

Unfortunately he has recently retired.

THE line started forming at 6 p.m. and soon spilled out the door — 30, 40, then 50 people, jostling on the sidewalk in front a nondescript mall along Ventura Boulevard in Studio City.

Time was running out.

Inside, standing behind a sushi bar in a 25-seat restaurant with all the linoleum charm of a coffee shop, Kazunori Nozawa was in the zone: hands flying, eyes darting up across the restaurant, sneaking sips of Diet Coke and cutting pieces from the slab of big-eye tuna from Ecuador he’d selected at the fish market when it was still dark that morning. By now, most of the customers who had waited for a seat at his restaurant, Sushi Nozawa — 2 1/2 hours for a meal that would last 45 minutes — knew the rules: no cellphones or texting, no loud talking, no asking other patrons to switch seats, no telling Mr. Nozawa what you wanted.

The place was hushed; no music, just the click of chopsticks and worshipful conversation about the fish and how to be sure not to offend the diminutive man behind the counter. This was not a day to become the latest customer ejected from Mr. Nozawa’s domain.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/29/di...to-retire.html

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 2:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

yes! now *that's* what i'm talking about.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 4:34pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The computer has notified me that I have a crush on you, apparently.

In Japan they have this show called "Itte Q" and in one particular episode they sent reporters to sushi places all over the world. Nozawa's place was featured along with a couple of other dudes in America. One of the other american ones was in Kodiak Alaska, "the old powerhouse", which is supposed to be magical. Interestingly, they had a sushi bar in Isreal that was supposed to be made from all kosher ingredients. That sounded like an interesting take on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jwilde
    Just because its not Japanese doesn't make it "fake" sushi lol. That's like saying just because a TMA has evolved over time that its "fake."
    I'm still waiting on hearing tales of your sushi acumen. We've already heard about that bliss that was the spicy tuna roll. Nozawa (et'al) seems to think that it might be dogshit wrapped in nori and slathered in a spicy sauce so you can't taste it. I'd like to argee, but I'm still willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. Have at you!

Quote Originally Posted by yli
    Yeah, but just because "sushi" is poorly made, tasteless and inauthentic doesn't mean that it's good.
    Quoted for truth.
    Last edited by jubei33; 3/05/2012 4:49pm at .
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 6:00pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rolls

Quote Originally Posted by jubei33 View Post

In Japan they have this show called "Itte Q" and in one particular episode they sent reporters to sushi places all over the world. Nozawa's place was featured along with a couple of other dudes in America. One of the other american ones was in Kodiak Alaska, "the old powerhouse", which is supposed to be magical. Interestingly, they had a sushi bar in Isreal that was supposed to be made from all kosher ingredients. That sounded like an interesting take on it.

I'm still waiting on hearing tales of your sushi acumen. We've already heard about that bliss that was the spicy tuna roll. Nozawa (et'al) seems to think that it might be dogshit wrapped in nori and slathered in a spicy sauce so you can't taste it. I'd like to argee, but I'm still willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. Have at you!

Quoted for truth.
    I don't eat sashimi and nigiri much because a) I'm 6 to 8 hours from the ocean and b) I order maki without veggies because it has more meat than nigiri. If you all would put down your thesaurus' and quit trying to look smarter and more suave than everyone else, you'd realize I'm not a sushi puritan. I don't necessarily eat it for the experience, though it can be nice, I eat it more the mix of high protein, carbs, and omega 3s. I'd eat more sashimi if I knew it was always fresh.

Edit: You asked about my spicy tuna rolls, well they're hardly tampered with, you still taste the tuna. I still drown it in wasabi though. I'm getting the feeling all that spice just irritates your vagina and that's why you'd rather talk about "pure" sushi. And I have a question for you. Are you fucking Japanese? And if not why do you care about preserving their traditions so much? Am I right in assuming your ***** gets a rash or something?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by itwasntme; 3/05/2012 6:11pm at .
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 6:29pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously now, I like all types of sushi/ sashimi/ nigiri/ whatever. But I am very much like jwilde88, I eat it because it is healthy, lean and a good source of fuel for my active lifestyle, the taste comes a very far second. You want to talk about subtle and delicate flavours in raw fish? Fill your boots, but I am soy sauce and wasabi-ing the **** out of that ****.

Delicate and subtle is codeword for bland and tasteless to me, I don't give a **** if that makes me ignorant in anyone's eyes. My whole teenage to adult life I have smoked, so my smell and taste senses are considerably weakened, when you talk about subtle and delicate flavour, I can only really talk about texture. And the texture of cool raw fish is not great, just so you know.

It's like with certain French foods, I've heard people rave about the subtle flavours of French cuisine, how the almost imperceptible X taste hits the back of the palette two to three seconds after contact, creating a rounded creamy finish to... blah blah blah. I want chilli and garlic running rampant across my tongue, I want salt and pepper, I want strong flavours that compliment the meat I am eating, the fish I am devouring or the chicken I am tearing into. I don't want to wait 2-3 seconds for some barely imperceptible flavour to grace itself on to my tastebuds, I'm a busy man.

I'm not saying you can't get significantly better sushi or sashimi out there, but seriously, it is raw fish cut up. There's not much you can do to **** that up except leave it in the sun for a few hours. Then again, I live in Australia, we are particularly blessed with our seafood.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 6:56pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jubei33 View Post

Quoted for truth.
    Some people get it. Others don't. My wife doesn't get it, either.

I was tempted to call Battlefields a goddamned savage. But I was like that till my late 20s or early 30s-and until I had good sushi and sashimi. Hopefully, he'll grow out of it. Some cuisines involve mixing powerful flavors (e.g. Filipino) and is good in a different way. But Japanese food is not typically like that.

There's an enormous difference between dogshit Chinese fake Japanese places that are a dime a dozen in NYC and, say, Sushi Yasuda.
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast