Our Sponsors:

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 1415 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/07/2012 5:41pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like i might avoid it based on that description, hahaha...
    Yeah, I hear you on that note. I said the same thing too, before I tried it. But like I said its kind of 50/50 depending on maker. I'll try and find some brands after work and put some of them in, see if they have websites, etc.

I'm more of a whiskey drinker, but my family likes souchu, so I get the best of both worlds. My brother in law is a network consultant for the govt. here and goes all over the place. He brings back a lot of souchu from kyuushu and we still have some of it lying around. I'll have to raid the cabinet later on, see if we've still got something interesting. I think we have Fukuro still, which I recommend.
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

Posted On:
    3/07/2012 5:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Misoyaki black cod, Gyotaku.

Salmon is really good that way too.

Speaking of which, i have some miso from Nagoya a client brought back for me.
    Perhaps it's a good night to cook at home!
    Yeah, miso's good with everything. that kind of cooking is famous in Hokkaido, I believe.

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/07/2012 5:48pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what's the deal with having your own bottle at the restaurant?
    i'm pretty sure it's a status thing. lots of the places that do that are private clubs as well, or at the very least have strict no-gaijin policies, so i have only been inside one place that had customer's bottles on the wall.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    3/07/2012 5:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jubei33 View Post
    Yeah, I hear you on that note. I said the same thing too, before I tried it. But like I said its kind of 50/50 depending on maker. I'll try and find some brands after work and put some of them in, see if they have websites, etc.
    Nice, well in that case... :)

I'm more of a whiskey drinker, but my family likes souchu, so I get the best of both worlds. My brother in law is a network consultant for the govt. here and goes all over the place. He brings back a lot of souchu from kyuushu and we still have some of it lying around. I'll have to raid the cabinet later on, see if we've still got something interesting. I think we have Fukuro still, which I recommend.
    Are you into single malts then?
    I'm off to the store now, i'll look for the Fukuro when i get my fish.

Posted On:
    3/07/2012 9:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i'm pretty sure it's a status thing. lots of the places that do that are private clubs as well, or at the very least have strict no-gaijin policies, so i have only been inside one place that had customer's bottles on the wall.
    Yeah, forgot about that. Friends tell me they pay a surcharge for it, but in some places these guys like the place, but not so much the selection, so this service supposedly came about. Or, so I'm told. I'm not surprised, though, with the whiskey selection at some of the places sometimes. Sometimes a bottle is on the wall just for name recognition, rather than being good. You know, like the 50 year old bottle of chivas that just sits there, no one touches it--mostly b/c people know that chivas is chivas no matter what bottle its in and don't care to pay 40$ a shot....

Quote Originally Posted by Chenpengfi
    Are you into single malts then?
    Yeah, for the most part. Though, some blends are nice. I have on my shelf a Yamazaki cask strength bought at the distillery, that is just waiting for (screaming for) a special occasion. Auchentoshan three wood is also an interesting one they sell in the states.

Posted On:
    3/07/2012 11:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Chawanmushi

Since were talking greater Japanese cuisine, as opposed to just sushi, I want to add in one of my all time favorites. My mother in law's is actually my favorite so far, in contrast to the many restaurants that sell it. Don't feel let down, though, a lot of places do a reasonable approximation of it to satisfy. (She's looking at me now, ****!! How does she know!!)

Chawanmushi is like a hot egg custard lightly seasoned with soy sauce, dashi and mirin and has special items hidden throughout the mix. The signature ingredient is a bitter gingko nut, which is one of my favorites. The hidden ingredients are different per recipe, but usually are comprised of the usual suspects: shitake, maitake, kamaboko, oysters, shrimp, lotus root, eel, etc. These are pretty much up to the chef, so it becomes like a treasure hunt to see what they wanted to put in.

This is steamed in a teacup-like dish and served either hot or cold as an appetizer. It usually is served in the winter hot with fish of some sort. Often this is served on special occasions, like New years or Christmas, which the 'treasure hunt' adds to the spirit of the season.

I don't have a picture of ours handy at the moment, I'll have use one from the web so you get the picture:

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/09/2012 10:21am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    had fugu last night and it was fantastic. as an added bonus, i didn't die!
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    3/09/2012 10:53am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well since it's currently thunderstorming i'll talk soup and noodles.

Asian styled noodle stands, collectively called "'saimin' stands" here, were a staple from the late plantation days through the 80's.
    Dozens of working-class folks would line up for bowls of salty broth and skinny noodles.

The stands have largely disappeared now, tastes change.
    It's still pretty common item on menus though.
    Even McDonalds serves it here.
    The noodles most closely resemble Chinese mein, but the broth and garnishes tend to be of Japanese origin although whatever is on hand is fair game.
    Kamaboko fishcake and Spam are standbys.

Which brings me to my real subject; Jimbo Udon.
    This unpretentious place is one of my favorites.

Everything is made in-house and fresh.
    The pillowy noodles are bathed in the lightest, yet most flavorful broth.

The tenpura is also light and not greasy.

(Holy **** it's a fucking hail storm outside right now! I **** you not!!! Big ones!)

I'll often order Ten-don there:
    Last edited by ChenPengFi; 3/09/2012 11:08am at .

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/09/2012 2:19pm

supporting member
     Style: running scared

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well since it's currently thunderstorming i'll talk soup and noodles.

Asian styled noodle stands, collectively called "'saimin' stands" here, were a staple from the late plantation days through the 80's.
    I remember place out near Pearl City that served 50 varieties of saimin. Cannot remember the name of the place. Seeing all this food again makes me miss my time in Hawaii. I'm sure most the places I remember are long gone. Lived there from 1993 to 1998. I was last there visiting in 2004 and most food places I went to were gone.

Posted On:
    3/09/2012 4:49pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BoonDog View Post
    I remember place out near Pearl City that served 50 varieties of saimin. Cannot remember the name of the place. Seeing all this food again makes me miss my time in Hawaii. I'm sure most the places I remember are long gone. Lived there from 1993 to 1998. I was last there visiting in 2004 and most food places I went to were gone.
    Shiro's Saimin Haven is still going strong actually.
    http://shirossaimin.com/restaurant-menu/saimin/

58. Dodonpa, The Ultimate King of Saimins, Bombarded with 10 Garnishes:

Shrimp Tempura, Roast Beef, Char Siu, Wun Tun, Chinese Roast Pork, Luncheon Meat, Imitation Crab, Mushrooms, Eggroll and Vegetables.

Created and Owned Exclusively by Shiro and served no where else in the Whole Wide World!
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3910111213 1415 LastLast