Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 9:02pm

Style: Standup, Ground-fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It wouldn't matter that he's 19 if he'd been training well enough... to pick a topical example, Ronda Rousey was in the Olympics after training from ages 12-17 (I think they said 12 during the last Strikeforce). On the other hand, there are those who train "martial arts" for decades and learn less than our friendly reviewer. We have more productive topics.

Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Don't insult me like that.

I'm not a bit of a dick.

I'm a massive dick.
    At least I called you an obnoxious fucker?

Edit: no Fake, I'm too dumb I guess...he's allegedly been alternating between judo and boxing for six years is all I get, that plus apparently the gym is full of 16-year-olds. Maybe being hit in the head in training is bad for me after all?
    Last edited by Wing-Kwan-Fu; 3/04/2012 9:42pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 9:17pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing-Kwan-Fu View Post
    It wouldn't matter that he's 19 if he'd been training well enough...
    Wow way to miss my quote and point. It does matter in this context.

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    So people don't think I'm 12, litte background experience.
    When I was 13 I started attending a Judo class, wasn't too bad except for the fact they had a star child who got all the attention. I learnt the basics and never went really far. after about 6 months I left as a orange belt and took part in a boxing class, every now and then I would spend a term at Judo and take boxing off, nto once did I take both off.
    When I was 16 I got back into Judo fully and started to love the art, I went to Ippon Judo club and stayed there about a year. Problem was there weren't many people good to train with in the class. At about the same time I started at PM Academy for an extra class and there were heaps of people my age. I learnt new throws and techniques and started to prefer it.
    Now, tell everyone your exact age. That way they'll understand why this part is funny.
    Alright, let me save time on the conjecture about his experience. He started training off and on since he was 12.

He's newly turned nineteen.
    I'm certain my point, in this situation, was absolutely clear.

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 9:43pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    This just feels like trolling. Once again I'm faced with statements I've already explained or the website contains which I gave a link to. Like I said you have to train to understand how the club works, someone told me to make a review, I made one.

http://www.petermortonjujitsu.org.au/frog.htm

A few awards the founder has won and a brief description on his life. Perhaps you will have some respect for someone who has accomplished so much, after blindly insulting him.
    Does that make you an Eddies boy then or are you from Charnie?

One of the first things you're going to have to do to make it on this site is acquire a thick skin. Especially when it comes to jujitsu. Given its unregulated nature, Jujitsu is a a beacon for MA fraudsters and bullshidokas. The reason everyone is grilling you so much is that, from your post and the website, it is difficult to determine what level of instruction you are receiving. One of the tenets of this site is being able to provide verifiable proof. A competition record or sparring videos would be an example of such.

yet the techniques I am taught at PM Academy arent for competition, some throws start off with an elbow to to the midsection, or a punch to the stomach, things that would put the opponent off guard.
    This is an assumption around the throws that will make them weaker. What do you do if your lead strike doesn't distract your opponent like you assume it would for training?
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 10:08pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well yes, I am 19 just to confirm it. I started when I was about 13/14, always in Senior classes, I was just too big for junior classes, I know that much, think Juniors was 12yrs or below.

Im from neither of those clubs, although I do train with people who are. My clubs are mainly Isabella Plains and Erindale, I'm not sure how well you know Canberra. Unless you mean Eddie himself, then I train under Sensei Danny and Burgey.

As with the throws, we learn them traditional (Judo grip), we learn them modernly (Same grip, just not relying on the Gi), most of the time we learn the self defence techniques which contain most throws also. So don't assume we only know how to throw after punching someone, its just the fact that we use Judo as a means of self defence not competition. When you think about it, in a self defence situation, you want to get away from the violence, if the attacker is on the ground, you have a better chance of escaping.

Kata Guruma for example we learn it first from a wrist hold. When someone grabs your wrists (not a great scenario), lock them into a wrist lock by grabbing their right thumb muscle, pulling them off balance and throwing them.. This is one technique we learn even though its not from a Judo grip it does come off as more realistic IMO. We do learn it from a judo grip, although it doesnt feel much different to me. This is one throw I find quite easy now, one throw I could never do in Comp Judo even when learning, from memory I was quite strong. Just an example of how I find the PM style of training works better for me.
    Last edited by Pineapple; 3/04/2012 10:12pm at .

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 10:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im from neither of those clubs, although I do train with people who are. My clubs are mainly Isabella Plains and Erindale, I'm not sure how well you know Canberra. Unless you mean Eddie himself, then I train under Sensei Danny and Burgey.
    Having lived there for 25 years I know the 'berra reasonably well. Given that you trained at a Judo club in Gilmore I was pretty sure you didn't train in Charnie, I was just being facetious (and seeing if you would bite). I'm also guessing that seeing as you missed the St Edmund's College reference that you probably went to Tuggeranong College then (or if you did go to Erindale you didn't play rugby there).

As with the throws, we learn them traditional (Judo grip), we learn them modernly (Same grip, just not relying on the Gi), most of the time we learn the self defence techniques which contain most throws also. So don't assume we only know how to throw after punching someone, its just the fact that we use Judo as a means of self defence not competition. When you think about it, in a self defence situation, you want to get away from the violence, if the attacker is on the ground, you have a better chance of escaping.
    I wasn't assuming anything. In fact I was doing the exact opposite, I was asking you so as to draw out the information I was after. If you are going to constantly be on the defensive you are going to miss out on a valuable learning experience with this site.

I was asking because there is a difference between what you train and how you train it. The reason people keep harping on about competition is because it incorporates aliveness. For example, at my club although we spar stand-up and groundwork, we don't randori throws (we do hard drill them, but this is not the same thing). It is fairly reasonable to assume, then, that a Judoka will be better at executing throws than me, as they have trained them alive.

So, when you practice your throws is it a situation setup (where one person attacks you - however hard - with a single attack like a punch) or is it proper sparring where either person can attack?
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 11:06pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of my defensiveness is when someone insults me for a reason I feel is uncalled for. I won't midn if people say they don't like something, but when I hear things like "sounds fake and ****, you should quit" just soudns disrespectful.

Yeah, went to Tuggeranong College, mainyl isnce all my friends went there. I know the instructor in Gilmore and wanted to support his club, yet there werent many people there, hes a good teacher but it wasnt for me.

When its training its situational usually with throws. Without a doubt someone who does Judo only would be better than me, yet to say I don't how to throw properly is ignorant, which is why I have been defensive over it. Usually its situational where we practice our techniques quickly, hard. More of a memory thing really, build reaction time, etc.
    Sparring is usally with boxing and grappling, if people get shin pads we prob would spar, yet its difficult. They want us blue belts to grade because we keep saying "No, we aren't ready" for almost 3 terms now. So its all techniques, sparring full contact isnt a requirement, only sparring with boxing is.

Thanks for turning this convo around a bit, I do overreact a bit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 12:37am

Style: Standup, Ground-fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As cualltaigh said, we're just trying to get a handle on how you train. We are not trying to "ignorantly" denigrate your personal throwing technique (we haven't seen it!), nor to insult Peter Morton. He may well be as decorated as the school page describes (btw most of those qualifications meant nothing to me, I don't know what's worth what down there), he may well be an excellent fighter and he furthermore might be a talented teacher--but the truth of all of these statements would not prove that his school's training methods are sound. Only the accomplishments of his students could prove that.

To reiterate, because this is important: good competitors can become beloved martial arts trainers and still teach ineffectively. The gold standard proof of a trainer's competency is the competition results of his students, which is unavailable in this case. So we want to know, not about his qualifications, but about stuff like this:

...training [is] situational usually with throws...

...Sparring is usally with boxing and grappling
    I think you mean the throwing training is always done in predetermined sequences? (I wasn't clear on your description.) Well, that means (to us, although we'd argue it is objective fact) that you're missing the most important part of throwing training, randori. That's a flaw. It's also a flaw, to me, that most of your throwing training is of the self-defense type you described--it sounds like the least technically sound section of your training.

But...just because we think your school is flawed doesn't mean we're trying to be mean! Hell, I'll admit my school is flawed: we do hard randori, but not so often except before competitions, and we don't learn throwing technique frequently or robustly enough for my taste. We don't do much ukemi: we practice rolls but most people don't practice falls. I sometimes get funny looks for falling hard on my back while everyone else squats slowly down to practice backwards rolls, and I've seen people get away with doing even the rolls very, very wrong without correction. And we only have two thai pads so far! And no cage yet, nor a squat rack...but at least I'm honest about the reality of where I train. I think I'll write a review...

Back on topic, would you describe your ground grappling training as similar to sport BJJ? Or how would you describe it?

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 12:39am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll have an easier time if you stop posting the whole "we train for self defense" and "y'all train for sport." That will save you a ton of grief as well.

Thanks. You are a beginner so, have fun when the advanced degree Black Belts rip apart your previous posts. Have a thick skin and remember to be CLEAR when typing on the internet.
    I have a suspicion you really do not understand how many of your posts sound to advanced practitioners.
    I told you this before it became ugly.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 3/05/2012 12:44am at .

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 12:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Most of my defensiveness is when someone insults me for a reason I feel is uncalled for. I won't midn if people say they don't like something, but when I hear things like "sounds fake and ****, you should quit" just soudns disrespectful.

Yeah, went to Tuggeranong College, mainyl isnce all my friends went there. I know the instructor in Gilmore and wanted to support his club, yet there werent many people there, hes a good teacher but it wasnt for me.

When its training its situational usually with throws. Without a doubt someone who does Judo only would be better than me, yet to say I don't how to throw properly is ignorant, which is why I have been defensive over it. Usually its situational where we practice our techniques quickly, hard. More of a memory thing really, build reaction time, etc.
    Sparring is usally with boxing and grappling, if people get shin pads we prob would spar, yet its difficult. They want us blue belts to grade because we keep saying "No, we aren't ready" for almost 3 terms now. So its all techniques, sparring full contact isnt a requirement, only sparring with boxing is.

Thanks for turning this convo around a bit, I do overreact a bit.
    That's just the nature of the site, given the vast amount of it out there, people will naturally call bullshit until it can be proven otherwise. Like I said, grow a thick skin and don't take it personally and you'll be fine.

I highly recommend looking up Judoka_uk's threads in the technique forum. He does an excellent breakdown of many common throws which if nothing else you should find interesting.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 12:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing-Kwan-Fu View Post
    But...just because we think your school is flawed doesn't mean we're trying to be mean! Hell, I'll admit my school is flawed: we do hard randori, but not so often except before competitions, and we don't learn throwing technique frequently or robustly enough for my taste. We don't do much ukemi: we practice rolls but most people don't practice falls. I sometimes get funny looks for falling hard on my back while everyone else squats slowly down to practice backwards rolls, and I've seen people get away with doing even the rolls very, very wrong without correction. And we only have two thai pads so far! And no cage yet, nor a squat rack...but at least I'm honest about the reality of where I train. I think I'll write a review...
    Also this^. To Truly respect your training you need to be honest about its limitations.

You'll have an easier time if you stop posting the whole "we train for self defense" and "y'all train for sport." That will save you a ton of grief as well.
    And this^.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast