Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 8:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I feel like I'm repeating myself. I've been to several Judo clubs, I knowwhat works and doesnt when it comes to learning throws.
    What Judo rank do you hold?

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 9:16am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been to several Judo clubs,
    Welcome to Bullshido. I am the worst pedant on this board. As you just noticed, from judo_uk's post, this means different things to different people. Please let him know your rank, in Judo, so the conversation can continue.

Thanks.

P.S. Pedantry,
    Not what you think your experience makes your rank, but a rank you actually were awarded from a recognized governing body.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 12:47pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless your saying “Can you throw someone who expects the throw and isresisting” then of course not, not many people can unless they have extremestrength.
    Or are good at throwing. Isn't that precisely the goal? Once you can throw someone who roughly knows what you plan to do, tries to prevent you, and tries to disrupt your game by trying to take you down in turn, and is himself competent at it -- surely then and only then can you be confident that you're good at throwing people.

I’ve grappled with people who do cage fighting andstood about even at times, why do I need to compete in events when I grappleenough with lots of different people?
    Well, in terms of training, if you grapple with people from different backgrounds at high intensity, that's fine. (I don't think anyone here has taken issue with what you said on that score!) In terms of convincing us, and in terms of backing your review up with proven success, you've provided nothing objective or verifiable.

You seem to have this idea that we let eachother win, that because we’re with apartner we go easy on eachother
    Yes. Of course, "easy" is a relative term. It sounds like you do hard sparring in both grappling and striking contexts, which is obviously great. However, I do not expect that you go with the same intensity, let alone the same intent to harm-unless-the-ref-stops-me, that you'd have to muster to be successful in competition.

I just wantedto give a review on my club, our club has very little advertising
    If you approached a review with the mindset or providing advertising, there's a problem.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 1:46pm

Style: Standup, Ground-fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2 man attack where 2 people attack us one on one
    I don't understand; how do two people attack one-on-one? At best this means you spar one person and then another, is that it?

I’ve been to a judo club and msot of the time welearnt tricks for competition, in Peter Morton Academy we learn tricks for selfdefence, things illegal in competition.
    So in both of your clubs you spend most of your time learning tricks? That doesn't sound like a good thing. Time spent improving your general throwing ability (hard randori/competition) is much more important, most people here will agree.

“Can you throw someone who expects the throw and isresisting” then of course not
    Then it sounds like you have not really learned any of those 12 throws.

I’ve grappled with people who do cage fighting andstood about even at times, why do I need to compete in events when I grappleenough with lots of different people?
    See, take this statement. I've grappled with cagefighters (my little gym has 1 pro, 3-4 ammys right now, I should do a review), some of them I can hang with and some are much better than me. Here's the thing: sometimes I can grapple evenly with those much better guys, because it's TRAINING! They're not going crazy, they're working technique, including perhaps techniques they are not good at. I can tell the difference mostly because I've competed and seen them compete.

Us nitpickers aren't trying to assume your training isn't good, we've just seen many gyms that "go hard" in all the right disciplines but do it really poorly because the training has been denatured, has wilted like a plant hidden from the sunlight of properly alive testing. And it's often weirdo schools that hate competition, focus on "deadly tricks" and have their own belt system or proprietary mix of styles that fall into these traps. We are only doing some friendly prying in the hopes of finding that we are wrong, and to make sure your review is calibrated like the others.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 5:54pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

By resisting I mean, the partner refusing to allow the throwby any means. In competition if you try the same throw again and again, thepartner will have a good idea of what to expect again and again, allowing themto resist with ease. I’m a green belt in Judo, so not a high belt at any means,although in competition at the time, belt didnt matter to me, I just wanted tocompete, all you need is a coloured belt to compete with more advanced guys.

I do understand what it takes to be good at throwing, for your (everyone heres)expectations, no I’m probably not that great. Theres certain throws I feel Ican do well, others which I constantly lose the feel for. Like I said, the clubdoesnt compete, yet many people in the club do other martial arts so they can.All this talk is making me think I may ask the senseis about Judo comps, not toprove anything, but obviously for people to get better and more experienced.

2 Man Attack is literally sparring with one after the other. If it was oneperson it would go too slow since most techniques rely on takedowns. Attacker 1may throw a straight punch, defender blocks and throws attacker to the ground,straight after attacker2 may grab defenders hair, defender uses an armbar topull them to the ground and wrist hold until grip is broken, and so on. Theintensity goes up as your belts do, might sound very robotic yet there are somany combinations several techniques come out before you have to think, whichis what you want really, no wasted time. At a seminar I blocked and grabbed afront kick to my groin, I actually paused and thought “Holy ****, I did not seethat kick, how did I block it,” I have done that technique alot though.

As for the word tricks, replace it with techniques. Sorry I was tired and I hadto answer lots of questions.

All up, my school does sound quite strange compared to more traditional andmodern schools. The website has a good description on how it came to be and Ihave a small book with goes into detail. I’ve found this school works for me,there is alot of techniques. If you can’t do everything perfect you don’t get ablack belt, every black belt I know can do everything perfect, unless they havelost flexibility for several techniques. Theres no way I can prove this, no I’mnot here to advertise, but give a review in hopes to influence others to try itout, I havnt made up anything in my posts.

Anyway, theres only so much information I can give, if I’ve repeated myself itsbecause I can’t prove it, so its up to you whether or not you believe it. I’mhappy to answer any NEW questions, just note I’m not a black belt and not evenclose, I still don’t know half the techniques for a black belt and I’m stillnot happy with half the techniques I know, so there really is ony a certainamount which I feel confident saying.

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 6:02pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyway, theres only so much information I can give,
    There are only 5 pieces of information you need to give.

Your exact Judo rank?

Who awarded you that rank?

Which governing body recognises and endorses that rank?

What Judo coaching or instructor qualifications do you have?

Which governing body issued and recognises those qualifications?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 7:31pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rank in Judo is Green Belt (Not sure on Japanese names). Awarded by Arek Zygmunt from Ippon Judo Club. Judo Federation Australia (Something like that, I forget) for the rest I assume, its been a while. I have no instructor qualifications in Judo and don't teach it or instruct it. People are going to say I do due to my previous posts, literally all i do is stand at the front and yell out numbers, only time I really instruct people are the children and help them get techniques, if a senior (Someone in the senior class) is to ask me how a technique works I will show them.

In PM Academy I hold a Blue Belt, awarded by many Instructors. I don't think its got any relations to Judo Australia which is why I'm not sure if I'm allowed to compete under my clubs name.

http://www.petermortonjujitsu.org.au/ If anyone is interested in the actual website. It hasnt been updated in a while I don't think, but other than class times, I don't think there is much to change.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 7:45pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. You are a beginner so, have fun when the advanced degree Black Belts rip apart your previous posts. Have a thick skin and remember to be CLEAR when typing on the internet.
    I have a suspicion you really do not understand how many of your posts sound to advanced practitioners.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 3/03/2012 7:52pm at .

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 7:50pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rank in Judo is Green Belt (Not sure on Japanese names). Awarded by Arek Zygmunt from Ippon Judo Club. Judo Federation Australia (Something like that, I forget) for the rest I assume, its been a while. I have no instructor qualifications in Judo and don't teach it or instruct it. People are going to say I do due to my previous posts, literally all i do is stand at the front and yell out numbers, only time I really instruct people are the children and help them get techniques, if a senior (Someone in the senior class) is to ask me how a technique works I will show them.
    So what you're saying is that the rank you volunteer is issued by a legitimate club and instructor, however, the 'Judo club' you came here to pimp is illegitimate, issues illegitimate rank and cannot confer legitimate instructor qualifications.

Yet you pimp and defend the illegitimate club whilst using the legitimate club to try and give credence to your position?

You hold no coaching qualifications yet claim to...

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]I knowwhat works and doesnt when it comes to learning throws.
    Despite having a Judo rank that qualifies you only to shut the **** up and train and holding no coaching qualifications of any sort.

It is clear that as the holder of a beginner rank, holder of absolutely no coaching or instructor certification and utilising the inconsequential rank given to you by a legit Judo club as proof of your suitability to evalute an illegitimate Judo club in comparison to legit Judo clubs.

You need to STFU.

You aren't qualified to pass judgement on any Judo club, you don't have the skills to asess any Judo teaching, you have no Judo coaching qualifications so are unfit to asess any Judo coaching programme, you have no verifiable coaching ability or competency. What it boils down to is that you have a skill differentiator that is in such a low percentile as to make it laughable and yet you think this gives you the perspective, the ability and the right to make judgement on Judo coaching.

What you need to do is STFU go back to the legit Judo club and let the bullshit you've been fed by the Morton jokers be ipponed out of you. Then train proper Judo, get a black belt from the Aussie NGB and get coaching qualifications from the Aussie NGB. Then go back and review Morton's 'Judo' and give an informed perspective on it.

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 7:54pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    There are only 5 pieces of information you need to give.

Your exact Judo rank?

Who awarded you that rank?

Which governing body recognises and endorses that rank?

What Judo coaching or instructor qualifications do you have?

Which governing body issued and recognises those qualifications?
    Btw for full disclosure my answers to the above are

1st dan

British Judo Association

British Judo Association

UKCC level 2

British Judo Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast