Sponsored Links Spacer Image

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 2:55pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Use of force regulations dictate what can and can't be done. In many cases, the idea is to err on the side of caution, and sometimes aikido is the only thing that fits the bill. It doesn't mean that it works, it means that it protects the program from liability (if they punch someone, they can at least point out that they didn't teach them that). Or to put it another way: aikido is chosen because it WON'T hurt people.

Where are you getting this factoid that its taught to police forces around the world? Aikido isn't really standard around the world though it is taught here and there.

Posted On:
    5/15/2013 5:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In canada jujitsu(japanese with modern techniques and some weapon training) Is commonly taught to military and police, judo also is very common, have not ever heard of anyone but steven seagal using aikido..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/16/2013 4:41pm

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm an aikido guy myself. Aikido is not, nor is it intended to be, realistic combat training. It is stylized practice of antiquated techniques. Stories abound of the original masters of aikido and how tough they were, but those guys were people who came to aikido after many years of training other martial arts.

I do think training aikido can make someone a better martial artist. I know several judo and BJJ guys who believe they have become stronger martial artists as a result of what they have learned in aikido. But aikido, is not, in and of itself, a reliable self-defense system.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    5/17/2013 7:22am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    I'm an aikido guy myself. Aikido is not, nor is it intended to be, realistic combat training. It is stylized practice of antiquated techniques. Stories abound of the original masters of aikido and how tough they were, but those guys were people who came to aikido after many years of training other martial arts.

I do think training aikido can make someone a better martial artist. I know several judo and BJJ guys who believe they have become stronger martial artists as a result of what they have learned in aikido. But aikido, is not, in and of itself, a reliable self-defense system.
    I like this n00b. We shall keep him.

Posted On:
    5/17/2013 7:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    Second that.

The most believable people I've heard about Aikido describe it as a way to approach the training one already has, whatever that might be.

If one has no prior training, then Aikido is a way to approach nothing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2013 8:14am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That post should be stickied or preserved somehow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2013 8:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Second that.

The most believable people I've heard about Aikido describe it as a way to approach the training one already has, whatever that might be.

If one has no prior training, then Aikido is a way to approach nothing.
    Up until last summer, I was working as an aide at a school for children with special needs, especially autism and emotional/behavioral disorders. One of my jobs there was restraining violent students. I didn't (and couldn't, legally) attempt aikido techniques on my students, but the body physics I learned in aikido did help me better understand my restraint training and did make me better at keeping a student restrained with minimal effort.

Aikido is, at its core, an approach to the physics of the body, and the longer I train the more I realize what I learn in the dojo can be applied to all kinds of things. Aikido has made me more aware of my posture, it's made me more efficient in my exercise at home, and it's improved my approach to virtually everything that requires a feat of physical strength.

I think those are valuable things, and I don't understand why many aikidoists aren't happy with that unless they can also fool themselves into believing they can use aikido (in the literal, technical sense) to handle 300-pound thugs with knives.

Posted On:
    5/17/2013 8:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    I know him from Aikiweb. He is good guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/17/2013 9:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCS View Post
    I know him from Aikiweb. He is good guy.
    Hey, who are you on AikiWeb?

Posted On:
    5/19/2013 2:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The guy you're quoting here.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast