Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 4:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Seidokan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    take the "do" out of akido and add jitsu, and you might be in business for a more practical self defense

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 7:34am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONEGGS View Post
    take the "do" out of akido and add jitsu, and you might be in business for a more practical self defense
    This is the only bad advice so far.

The problems with aikido are the way it's trained. Aikijitsu is no different in that regard.

My advice is do aikido because you enjoy it. Cross train it with something else.
    Im 20 years in, and still enjoying it. If enjoyment is no 1 priority, treat it as such

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 7:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nujabes View Post
    I have been interested in martial arts for a very long time but have never went to any classes. I have always loved Japanese culture, samurai's,bushido,art, zen, psycology, the mind etc.... I am looking into taking Aikido because I love the philosophy behind it and the mental fitness you gain from it. The art of Aikido amazes me!. However I dont know if Aikido is effective in a random street encounter.

I was wondering if theres any Aikidoka's that can tell me the mental side of aikido? ( i am interested in the psychology of aikido self - actualization, Harmony, respect, finding more about your self, confidence etc )

I love the philosophy and ART of aikido but is it effective on the street or am i better of taking something like Judo? (There isn't really any close judo schools around me) likely i probably wouldn't put my self in a situation to put my self in a fight nor probably ever have to use self defense but if something were to happen would I have the tools to defend myself with Aikido
    There are more value in Aikido as a fighting art than in its mental side or "philosophy".

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/05/2012 10:13am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    3/11/2012 7:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks everyone for the replies. I have taken up Judo and bjj and am loving them. A couple videos that also helped me decide on why i should take that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2012 5:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is the dojo I attend the only one that trains Aikido (traditional) in a martial way?

We train with full resistance and from more realistic attacks from jabs, hooks etc to kicks and takedowns, we also practise the traditional attacks too tho. I am getting hit in the face, ribs, stomach etc all the time (yeah I'm not very good) and I know about it afterwards as I am always shagged out and aching. We also practise freestyle attcks so you have to respond accordingly without knowing how uke is going to attack you.

As for self defense, I believe if its trained like we do it could be very useful, I'm not going to say it could defeat all comers but to an untrained or unexpecting yob, mugger, zombie, rapist...... they are going to know about it and regret their actions very quickly!

I think it must be a vast majority of dojo's that teach Aikido in a soft way because believe me Aikido fecking hurts and is very hard to resist against when the tori means it!

*edit* I forgot to add that we are trained to strike and kick also, not as knock out blows but to disorientate and distract so a technique can be applied easier. Also if you do meet resistance and your technique is failing hit the bugger!
    Last edited by St Matt; 4/05/2012 5:36am at . Reason: forgot something!

Posted On:
    4/05/2012 5:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by St Matt View Post

We train with full resistance and from more realistic attacks from jabs, hooks etc to kicks and takedowns, we also practise the traditional attacks too tho.
    Please describe in detail what you mean by 'full resistance'

Thank you

"To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2012 5:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Erm what I mean is when we are learning a new tecnique obviously uke knows what technique you are going to do when he/she grabs you. therefore we try and 'strengthen up' to resist the technique, you know to try and stop tori from performing it. So it means that balance taking etc must be achieved to pull it off or uke can simply stop you. I put it like that because I read a lot about non resistant training and that uke just lets tori do the technique without putting up a fight. Thats what I mean by full resistance, does that make sense or have I used an incorrect term (forgive me if I have)?
    Last edited by St Matt; 4/05/2012 5:47am at . Reason: crap spelling!

Posted On:
    4/05/2012 6:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi St Matt,

yes, this is what I was looking for.

Many Aikido (and TMA in general) use this method and think of it the way you do. The trouble is that it is still effectively dead training.

The practice generates poor results in terms of training students to apply their techniques outside of the class because it is still scenario based. It still includes a pre-determined attacker, and a defender. For the most part, it even includes a pre-determined attack and defence.

The general benchmark people look for here at Bullshido, is that a significant percentage of the class should be taken up with training that doesn't include the above. Essentially sparring (however you want to word that).

Resisting technique in this kind of scenario based (paired kata) doesn't achieve a whole lot other than increasing the risk of injury. It may force you to iron out any slack in your application, but it doesn't really add much to your chances of getting to a stage in the conflict where that application will occur.

Arts like BJJ and Judo can achieve all of these things without "Strengthening up" to resist.

Also, your description of freestyle attacks is also something that can mislead you in your training, because (although fun) still includes this 'attacker and defender' formula.

Look for alive training, not resistant training. (search function will pull up some matt Thornton explanatory videos)

As a side note, you sound like you are in the UK, is that correct?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/05/2012 6:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't attacker and defender what Aikido is about? I mean I don't want to suggest that Aikido will make anyone an accomplished 'fighter' but it can definately help you against an attacker. We only practise the full resistance to prove that the technique can work against resistance if need be, a lot of people think Aikido is useless against resistance but it certainly isn't.

We do do what I see as sparring, although not all the time, albeit from a defenders point of view I suppose. We freestyle a lot and have to 'try' and apply some form of defense/technique to an unknown attack which is what you may come up against outside the dojo. Obviously if you don't see the attack coming then your in trouble but most scraps I have whitnessed have built up before the physical attack occurs (is this what you mean or am I on the wrong track here?). However when we do freestyle it doesn't look much like the pretty forms you see in the demo's ESPECIALLY when I do it! However going back to the full resistance thing, when we are freestyling and do come up against resistance to a certain technique we are encouraged to change and adapt to a more suitable technique rather than trying to 'force' it through.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast