Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 3:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kick Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Locke's Karate Academy: Belton, Missouri

Locke’s Karate Academy
    Locke’s Karate Academy is a traditional martial arts school located in Belton, Missouri. The school isn’t really all that great. The instructor is almost always there but it’s really just a martial arts themed day care center, I mean kids out number adults several times over. At least once he's had the kids play kick ball while hopping around on one foot. I'm not sure what that had Martial Arts. Another thing is the instructor is Clueless, 1/3 of the class can easily be spent warming up and then the last 1/3 can be a ‘cool down.’ One of the biggest complaint that I have about the school is that for months after I quit the school I was still getting calls from bill collectors for his school even though I quit going there. This school unquestionably falls into the category of McDojo. It’s school that just everyone should avoid.

Aliveness:
    3 - My reasoning is that the sparring is very light contact, not to mention the gloves, head gear, shin guards and chest protectors that are required (at your own expense).

Equipment:
    1 - Other than the safety gear stated above there is weapons, nothing else. No cage, no nothing else.

Gym Size:
    6 - It's actually a good sized building, it can get crowded sometimes but it’s in a building dedicated to the school, the building is nice, clean and well kept.

Instructor:
    1 - The instructor is there 70%, but I’ve seen him have kids play kick ball during class, no joke.

Atmosphere/Attitude:
    4 - Instructor is more interested in making sure we honor customs than anything else, like learning.

Striking Instruction:
    3 - The styles taught are nearly 100% striking, but not much time is used teaching.

Weapons:
    1 - There are a few weapons but classes are non-contact.
    Last edited by daniel64012; 3/01/2012 3:33pm at .

Posted On:
    3/06/2012 6:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think possibly you lack understanding. Try diving into the philosophies and traditions of the budo and possibly you will see more clearly. Your view is skewed by that lack of understanding. I wish you the best.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/06/2012 6:56pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dljohns1 View Post
    I think possibly you lack understanding. Try diving into the philosophies and traditions of the budo and possibly you will see more clearly. Your view is skewed by that lack of understanding. I wish you the best.
    Bwahahahahahaaaaaa........

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    3/06/2012 6:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i think *you* lack understanding of how this site works, and how the reviews work. his review was acceptable under our terms, and although it could have been written better, all his criticisms are valid and his numeric grades line up with his descriptions of the classes.

i wish you the best at reading more stickies before posting here again.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    3/06/2012 7:56pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I understand....very clearly by the name of the site, what this site is about. I was simply trying to help him. He's got a bone to pick, and he's been picking it for a very long time. So I thought I'd offer a little advice.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/06/2012 8:15pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No I understand....very clearly by the name of the site, what this site is about. I was simply trying to help him. He's got a bone to pick, and he's been picking it for a very long time. So I thought I'd offer a little advice.
    Condescension is not advice.

Posted On:
    3/06/2012 8:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only bone I have to pick is that it took a cease and desist letter to get your collection agency to go away. On other forums I have mentioned that you do good getting kids up and moving, so I'm being honest and giving you credit where credit is deserved, but getting kids up and moving is all the credit you deserved. One of (but no the) the first things you pointed out when I signed up was that you like internet reviews, you pointed out yahoo at the time. It's like a little fan club there, I thought I'd give an unbiased one here...

Posted On:
    3/06/2012 8:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i think *you* lack understanding of how this site works, and how the reviews work. his review was acceptable under our terms, and although it could have been written better, all his criticisms are valid and his numeric grades line up with his descriptions of the classes.
    I'm sorry it was poorly written, it's my first review on here, I'll get better with time.

Posted On:
    3/07/2012 12:38am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No... condescension...intended.

Posted On:
    3/07/2012 12:41am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just so you know, Daniel, I'm not Master Locke. Again, condescension might have been felt, but was definitely not intended.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast