Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/09/2012 2:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i also did judo for 5 yrs. Hapkido, depending on which school to a certain exteend, is a very comprehensive ma. Some school has kick that rivals the best tkd schools. The locks and holds are, exuberant, so many that one starts to wonder if there is a central philosophy. , The judo part, if u hv done judo is not as comprehensive (they teach u all the basics but hardly any randori).In some school, u would learn acrobatic moves close to capoeira and wushu, which to me is a plus. Hapkido, somehow, is not organised and has no central philosophy ( that's why they hv a book docummenting 5000 techniques). For example, in Wing Chun, there is a central theme, only three sets and nobody can put a lock on a practitioner because of the philosophy, not the techniques. Hapkido has not kata, which makes integration somewhat difficult. Remember one thing, before u commit to this or other equivalent arts, Judo is tough, the closest to full contact on a daily basis then any ma and much more lethal than any of the point-fight fantasies in real life. Shotokan, in my experience, is the most obstinate of ma, practising these stances and wide strikes over and over again with katas that looks seemingly useless. One might say that hapkido has Judo, locks, acrobatics, hands and kicks, etc.,but they never put too much emphasis on each. So depending on the school, u might use Hapkido as a point of divergence to fortify on different aspects later on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2012 2:26am

Style: still deciding

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thank you for the post allinal20. I will take this to heart, although it's starting to look like I will be focusing on muay thai first, then supplementing it with judo later on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/09/2012 8:14am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kengashui View Post
    thank you for the post allinal20. I will take this to heart, although it's starting to look like I will be focusing on muay thai first, then supplementing it with judo later on.
    Well, you just had first (well second) hand experience why grappling ars are good to begin with. Then Kickboxing and MT and you will be all set...

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/09/2012 10:35am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by allinal20 View Post
    i also did judo for 5 yrs. Hapkido, depending on which school to a certain exteend, is a very comprehensive ma. Some school has kick that rivals the best tkd schools. The locks and holds are, exuberant, so many that one starts to wonder if there is a central philosophy. , The judo part, if u hv done judo is not as comprehensive (they teach u all the basics but hardly any randori).In some school, u would learn acrobatic moves close to capoeira and wushu, which to me is a plus. Hapkido, somehow, is not organised and has no central philosophy ( that's why they hv a book docummenting 5000 techniques). For example, in Wing Chun, there is a central theme, only three sets and nobody can put a lock on a practitioner because of the philosophy, not the techniques. Hapkido has not kata, which makes integration somewhat difficult. Remember one thing, before u commit to this or other equivalent arts, Judo is tough, the closest to full contact on a daily basis then any ma and much more lethal than any of the point-fight fantasies in real life. Shotokan, in my experience, is the most obstinate of ma, practising these stances and wide strikes over and over again with katas that looks seemingly useless. One might say that hapkido has Judo, locks, acrobatics, hands and kicks, etc.,but they never put too much emphasis on each. So depending on the school, u might use Hapkido as a point of divergence to fortify on different aspects later on.
    You might want to get an education and learn how to write. Your Hapkido propaganda is utter bullshit.

Hapkido doesn't have kata? Guess again asshole.
    Judo randori is more lethal than point sparring? Apples and Oranges.
    Shotokan is obstinate? Are you also racist?

The only thing that made sense is "depending upon the school". Now, when you're more educated in the different schools of Hapkido, then, maybe, you might be able to give some solid advice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2012 9:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you have a point Prone, and I agree that grappling is more important than striking, but try to see it this way. It's going to take many, many more years to get to where I want to be in grappling than it will with striking, and taking two styles at the same time is going to be impossible for me, not just availability-wise, but also in how much of that knowledge and experience I will be able to absorb. Also it may be hard for me to keep muay thai out of the dojo, and judo out of the gym. I haven't ever had to fight outside of brotherly squabbles, fake fighting etc. and the chances that I will, although they increase every day, are still slim. I'm trying to put a lot of thought into this, but if you have any good counterpoints to share, please do, and I will try my best keep an open mind. Thanks, and happy sparring!

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/10/2012 10:09pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you have a point Prone, and I agree that grappling is more important than striking, but try to see it this way.
    Where did he say that? Who said grappling is more important than striking?

To get where you want? Are you worried about rank?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2012 10:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, from what little I've been able to piece together, grappling just seems like a more complex art to master in the respect of judo vs. muay thai. Am I worried about rank for the sake of sitting pretty atop the teeming masses of judoka? No. Am I worried about rank in the way that it represents the time and effort put in to developing said skill level. Yes. I'm still going to be doing muay thai for a long, long time, I don't see myself ever giving it up. But will I be in the gym less and the dojo more, in order to focus on judo when the time comes? You bet your sweet bippy I will. Hope that answered your question IIF, I mean I'm still a noob to this so I appreciate your query and advice. Happy Sparring!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2012 10:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and Prone did kind of imply that grappling was more important by the way he worded his answer. I'm not trying to get him in trouble, that's just what I took from it, plus a lot of people on here seem to favor grappling skills over striking. I'm sure there are instances where striking can win over grappling, it's just in my limited experience I've mostly seen instances where grapplers beat strikers.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2012 8:27am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, from what little I've been able to piece together, grappling just seems like a more complex art to master in the respect of judo vs. muay thai.
    You can not compare these the way you are doing it. Muay Thai is not just jab, cross, hook, kick. There is a lot of footwork that you have to learn. There is also stand up grappling that has to be learned that goes with the plum and knee/elbow inside fighting. As well as some takedowns. Plus the part of Muay Thai that everyone forgets which is the work. You will spend thousands of hours learning to put all thus stuff together fluidly before you can say you have "mastered" it.

Lots of people try this art out thinking it is less "complex" but then don't have the stones to keep training.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/11/2012 11:14am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and Prone did kind of imply that grappling was more important by the way he worded his answer. I'm not trying to get him in trouble, that's just what I took from it, plus a lot of people on here seem to favor grappling skills over striking. I'm sure there are instances where striking can win over grappling, it's just in my limited experience I've mostly seen instances where grapplers beat strikers.
    You aren't getting him in trouble for something he never said. you inferred things he didn't state. Limited in your experience? You need to get out more.

You should really sidestep the "mastery" aspect of MA. It seems to war people's minds.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 7 LastLast