Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 2:03pm

Style: still deciding

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sell me on hapkido

Okay, so I am trying to make a decision on what martial art I want to start learning. I am leaning heavily towards Hapkido, although my other option is Shotokan Karate. I am really looking for a style that is comprehensive, but focuses more on kicks, grappling, and ground game, especially kicks. If anyone could educate me about the strengths and weaknesses of both styles, I would really appreciate it. The only martial arts experience I have is about two weeks of Judo when I was 13, I am now 24. Thanks in advance, and happy sparring!

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 2:18pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The key answer to your question will mostly lie in the quality control of the school, and how "alive" their training is. Alive training= effectiveness.

I assume that you have narrowed in down to these two styles because there are two schools near you that teach them, do you have any information at all on these schools(website links would be helpful)

Stylistically speaking shotokan should be a straight, no nonsense martial art. But this can vary from school to school. One school might train full contact with pads, another might focus more on point sparring.

You're not going to find a lot of people on this sight that will espouse the virtues of hapkido on this site. That is not to say that it wouldn't be possible that you are near a hapkido school that trains live and might be a good fit, but they are rare.

I understand that you'd want to focus on kicking, but honestly if you are interested in pragmatic self defense, you should go back to judo, if that is an option

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 2:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's the site for the hapkido school, which also teaches kung fu, and TKD.

level10martialarts .com

I can't find a website for the karate school

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why especially kicks?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 2:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just want to increase the limberness and speed in my legs, plus a roundhouse to the body seems a bit more devastating than a palm strike. But who am I to say so?

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 2:41pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOLz at "Level 10 Martial Arts College, known as the "West Point" of martial arts schools in the state of Indiana"

Also all their instructor links are broken, and they talk about how children are not taught the "dangerous finishing techniques" that are in the adult class.

I would stay far far away from this school.

If you like kicking, why not go to a muay thai school in your area?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 2:52pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you want to learn to kick the crap out of someone go and do what this guy does- (muay thai, btw)

that school link you posted looks fucking awful.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 3:23pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take it from a former HapKiDo BlackBelt... You're much better off with something like Muay Thai if you wanna kick the **** out of people... And punch too. -OR- You should return to Judo.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 4:13pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll share my experience with Hapkido for the OP to reflect on.

I signed a year contract it was my first ma training ever. I was attracted to hkd because of its seemingly all inclusive skill set. HKD as a whole is marketed as teaching: unique hand striking, kicks, throws, grappling, joint locks, pressure points,healing/meditation, and weapons. I was sold. I saw hkd as a one stop shop for everything. As I learned more about martial arts I realized many if not most arts have a similar eclectic approach. Also, an art that covers so much can't possibly produce fighters that excel at any one skill to the level someone only practicing one of those skills.

HKD as I learned it and witnessed at other schools is mainly wrist locks and kicks with minimal throws and other aspects already mentioned sprinkled in. The standing wrist locks have limited application to real life and the high kicks along with pressure point attacks have similar practicality. The skill you will gain at throws won't compare to a Judo player, the grappling won't compare to a BJJers and the weapons are a far cry from FMA or any iaijutsu/kenjutsu practitioner.

One of the main reasons I quit:If you stick in it to blackbelt you may be able to pull off some impressive wristlocks against a minimally resisting opponent, you might be a fancy kicker as well (not necessarily a good thing). However, you will never compare to a blackbelt of any art that specializes in one of the many facets glossed over in your hkd training.

You might say; "so whatI don't have to be a badass at everything as long as I know a little of everything i'm better off right?" It's a lame argument. Pick an art that trains one skill and get good at it.

As for Shotokan, isn't it similiar to TSD? If I remember correctly TSD is basically the korean version of Shotokan. In which case I'd say only train it if you don't care about practicality. Deep wide stances and punches chambered at the hip make me cringe.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 4:43pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And I will share my experience with Shotokan. This whole thing of course is assuming there ate absolutely no judo, BJJ or must Thai gyms in your area, cause if there are you should do those instead.

My experience with Shotokan was actually very no nonsense. I was just reflecting earlier on how the way my Shotokan instructors taught definetely helped me later on in my training in other, more alive arts. There are numerous Shotokan schools in Florida and they are probably all different, but when I was training it, it began as a mix of all things expected from TMAs: forms, board breaking, conditioning, etc. What was different, however, from most TMAs was how they handled sparring. It was a very straightforward affair.
    Tuesday, thursday and Saturday were sparring days. These days were great. We would gear up and spar, as hard as we wanted to go. Leg kicks were encouraged, strikes to the head were allowed, and we would go many rounds a class. Some weeks they would even bring in outside instructors to go over Judo throws and ground techniques.

I was young at the time but I told my instructor that I only wanted to come on sparring days, and he said that would be fine, and continued to promote me in belts.

Just my experience. Really will depend on the teacher.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast