Sponsored Links Spacer Image

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 6:41pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HapkiUSA View Post
    I know there is little respect for hapkido around here but I think it's important to finish what I started and earn the first dan…
    Why?

If you want to stick with hapkido for some reason then stick with hapkido, but sticking with a bad decision out of a sense that you should “finish what you started” sounds extremely silly. In economics, this is called the sunk cost fallacy, or sometimes the Concorde fallacy—this irrational tendency people have to feel committed to something because they’ve spent so much time on something, so that they will stick with it even when it becomes clear that it does not have inherent value (“throwing good money after bad”).

I suppose I could have stuck with Shotokan until I got my black belt—I quit at 3rd kyu and might have had another year or two to go, I guess—but once I realised that BJJ (and for a while, kickboxing) did a much better job of giving me what I wanted out of martial arts, it seemed clear that continuing in karate would have been a waste of my time and my money. I mean, what would I have got out of it? A black belt certificate with no value whatsoever outside a group I would leave anyway?

(Interestingly, one of the reasons I left my Shotokan group was that they heavily frowned on cross training. They didn’t go so far as to forbid it, but I realised that with a culture that made me wary of even mentioning BJJ, the lack of a rule against it didn’t matter: it wasn’t a good culture for me anyway.)
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 7:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We'll see what happens. If they force me out I'll have no choice but to roll with it. At least it won't be the end of the world but it would feel like it for a while.

The reason I want to continue to first dan is because I actually like the art and want the experience. If I were to leave now I would forever question why. Just because someone told me it was a good idea? I would only be comfortable doing it on my terms from my own conclusions based on my experiences. (I'm a very stubborn Taurus :P)

While I am keenly aware of the warnings and red flags you're throwing, I still have to figure it out for myself to be happy with whatever choice I make after the contract is up. Like learning calculus. You can show me the formulas, but it's up to me to learn how they work and why and how to choose the right ones for the right problems. The only way is just to practice. And having a history of being impulsive with bad results, I'm inclined to take my time. Phew my forearms are hurting now lol. More push-ups! It's time to make dinner for my little guy. Duty calls! Have a kick ass weekend everyone. See you around here soon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 9:12pm

Style: American Kenpo, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I respect your dedication. Do what you feel best doing, just make it work.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 10:58pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HapkiUSA View Post

The reason I want to continue to first dan is because I actually like the art and want the experience.
    This is the only reason you need.

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 4:22am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's right!

Your art/class has been criticised over a few threads in relation pretty specifically to what you claimed it was capable of in terms of combat effectiveness. Your belief in that has been challenged over and over again.

It's one element of what you do though. The only problem with it not making you some kind of combat-ready war-machine was mainly that you seemed to think it could.

Think about everything you get at the class.
    Is it fun?
    Is it bringing you and your kids together?
    Is it getting you fitter?
    Does it make you happy?
    Is it social?

Im sure you can think of other things.

If the things that it can provide are worth it, stick with it. Get everything you want out of it. If self defence in a violent altercation is more important than those things, then consider switching schools. Otherwise, you seem to love what you do. Do that for what it is.

I've been doing martial arts for 20+ years. various styles, all because I enjoy it. End result... I'm still **** at fighting.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 9:12am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't make a list. If you like what you do then have fun. The problem was you were TELLING everyone how effective and humble (no not the same as great) it was and people were like "nope, got get real world experience."

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 9:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing about Hapkido is that it actually has so may techniques in it is is possible to distill it down into something useful. If you don't waste time on the single point of contact "aikidoish" throws and concentrate on multiple point of contact judo stlye throws, engage in hard sparring with takedowns and ground submission and lose the TKD style tippy tap sparring you would have something somewhat viable. I know there are HKD schools that train that way, but they appear to be few and far between.

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 11:21am

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Don't make a list. If you like what you do then have fun. The problem was you were TELLING everyone how effective and humble (no not the same as great) it was and people were like "nope, got get real world experience."
    QFT.

^^This.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 11:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks everyone. You guys kick ass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2012 1:48am

Style: Taekwondo, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From what I've seen, HKD is one of those styles that has a huge amount of variation between dojangs. Some are offer an excellent, well rounded curriculum where you learn how to fight in a TMA setting. Others are, well, you know. I'm not one of those guys who thinks the only way to learn self-defense is to train for full contact competition (start flaming me now), even though I myself do this. You just need to be realistic about your goals, and if HKD can offer you a path to them. Yes, even wrist lock moves can have their place, but exclusively doing compliant drills is generally a road to nowhere.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567