Style
    Shotokan offshot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hello I need advice on FMA and MT/MMA

Hello everyone this a nice site!

Well this is my situation I have a couple of years of experience in MA training in a Shotokan Off-shot mostly traditional stances and self-defense drills.

I'm currently looking for Muay Thai or MMA to jump into the action! My question is: Would MT Or MMA leave me with permanent face damage? I have seen the people in this gyms and the older students and instructors seem to have a "boxers face" or feature damage because of the training. Like I read here

Health Risks of Boxing
    SPORTS AND FITNESS

" and scars on the face are not always deemed advantageous by society. Too much damage to the face can cause irrevocable feature changes"
    That is what worries me the most

My second question is about my uncle he need a low impact MA to practice but I can find FMA in my city You think that with some DVDS and training manuals we could practice FMA and improve mostly for Self defense as we can both carry sticks in our cars
    If the answer is yes please recommend me some instructional DVD's

Thank you for taking the time to answer!

Style
    bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're looking into mma, at some point you'll practice grappling too. If you're afraid of scars you could start training the grappling.
    Last edited by bigato; 9/17/2012 1:17pm at . Reason: correction

Style
    Kali, Silat
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where are you and your uncle located?

Learning FMA by video is the same as learning anything by video. You might get the basic concept, but if you are thinking about SD, I wouldn't rely on only learning from videos.

Also, why are you so concerned that you need to carry sticks in your car? Is where you live that dangerous?

Style
    Shotokan offshot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by k_raben View Post
    Where are you and your uncle located?

Learning FMA by video is the same as learning anything by video. You might get the basic concept, but if you are thinking about SD, I wouldn't rely on only learning from videos.

Also, why are you so concerned that you need to carry sticks in your car? Is where you live that dangerous?
    South America, no FMA clubs here I already checked and yeah things are quite fucked up
    I'm asking this because I saw a post overhere that said that you can get good with solo drills in FMA because of the weapons
    My uncle cant do Regular MA because of a hip problem so he has to excersice but only the upper body can do a lot of effort he is already gonna start weight lifting again but I we would like to learn something useful for Self defense also

And about striking I dont care having a swollen eye or black eye for some time
    What really worries me are PERMANTE SCARRs and damage to the face
    Last edited by Adriano21; 9/17/2012 1:17pm at .

Style
    bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    South America? What country?
    Don't forget to take into account local laws about carrying what could be considered a white gun in some places. Or if you the law allows him in the country, he could take some training on real guns.

Style
    FMA
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As mentioned, FMA and weapons arts are just like empty hand arts. There is just as much need for proper technique and correction from an instructor. You may be able to become better a solo drills than an untrained person but you'll still just be another self trained novice. You're better off running or starting a fitness program.