Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2012 12:18pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I suck at pushups

So I suck at pushups. On a good day, I can do 2 or MAYBE 3 in a row with proper form before I start shaking like a virgin about to finally lose it.

Is there a specific muscle group it's likely I'm lacking, one I can isolate in some way with different exercises to build up the strength for pushups? Or should I just be doing like 400 "girl" pushups a day until I can do them with the proper form?

Posted On:
    2/26/2012 12:56pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You get better by doing MORE PUSHUPS. If you can do 2 or 3 than several times throughout the day drop and do 3. Keep it up and add a few more over time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2012 1:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    More pushups it is. Maybe I'll make that my Lent sacrifice... instead of Monkish prayers every 3 or 4 hours, I'll do pushups like clockwork.

Posted On:
    2/27/2012 1:26pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enzio View Post
    More pushups it is. Maybe I'll make that my Lent sacrifice... instead of Monkish prayers every 3 or 4 hours, I'll do pushups like clockwork.
    I'd make it pushups and self flagellation if you're gonna do it for lent.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/27/2012 2:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, MT, KM

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I suck at pushups. On a good day, I can do 2 or MAYBE 3 in a row with proper form before I start shaking like a virgin about to finally lose it.

Is there a specific muscle group it's likely I'm lacking, one I can isolate in some way with different exercises to build up the strength for pushups? Or should I just be doing like 400 "girl" pushups a day until I can do them with the proper form?
    I came up doing push ups a few years ago to the point that my bench press had increased dramatically. I did it off of the perfect push ups (I know). I don't recommend the perfect pushups (standard push up bars are better), but I do recommend the training program associated with it. Basically you start by seeing what your max is then..

do 3 sets of declining reps for each format (regular, military, wide base).

So I started doing 10, rest under a minute, do 8 and rest, then do 6 and those would be my regular push ups for the day.

A little later I would do my sets of military, and even later, my last sets of wide. That's 72 push ups for the day.

Give a day or two for your muscles to recoup as needed and do them again. If you need to start with knee push ups that's fine too. If you keep it up, re-establishing what your new max is weekly, you should see some nice gains. By the time I was moving on to other things, I was doing like 25,20,15 or something like that, almost 200 a day.

and now I'm starting from scratch again after a wrist injury and some shoulder problems since I can't do more than 8-10 without pain atm.

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    2/27/2012 6:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you have a weight problem or an injury ?

Quite often the solution to 'I can't do many reps of bodyweight exercise <x>' is 'go on a diet'.
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 5:00pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do push ups with your hands on a bench, box, or stairs and feet on the floor. Work up to doing the desired number of sets and reps, which will largely be arbitrarily selected. Once you can do those without compromising form then lower the platform your hands are on. Progress this until you can get to the floor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 12:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion View Post
    Do you have a weight problem or an injury ?

Quite often the solution to 'I can't do many reps of bodyweight exercise <x>' is 'go on a diet'.
    I'm on a diet, 25 lbs down so far, and I've pretty much plateaued, and it's time to start working out hardcore. But even as a teenager before I put weight on I was terrible at pushups. Just wanted to know if there was something special I could do. And there is: more pushups.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    I'd make it pushups and self flagellation if you're gonna do it for lent
    I'll try and find my cat o' nine tails.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 1:22am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do 2 perfect pushups, rest 2 minutes, go for 2 more...repeat 4-5 times, don't go to failure.....

ad a rep to a couple of sets the next time

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 10:01am

Style: Western Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Head over to 100 pushups.com. They have a program and even though you may not get 100, you'll be a damn lot stronger than where you are now
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast