All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 1:25pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    I am absolutely and completely ignorant of judo. When I think of judo I imagine ppl geeting thrown over shoulders all day. I've been given plenty of reasons why not to pursue chun but no reasons why I should pursue another specific art. Its not like I've seen many ppl using judo throws in ufc or other mma events, they mainly use takedowns from shoot wrestling...
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    You are completely ignorant of judo, but you know a lot aobut "shoot wrestling"?

Most known takedowns are extant in most practical grappling arts. Judo takedowns in the context of judo competition are lent energy by the gi - when applied without a gi, they look more like their equivilient throw in wrestling.

For example, the "whizzer" is actually the "wizard" and old, less PC wrestling coaches will still call it the "japanese wizard" because it's a judo throw. Judo gives strong mastery of the clinch, which is great for practical self defense on its own, and later integration into MMA

Try judo. Just go try it. You'll thank me later. Then you'll curse me. Then thank me again.

edit: Yes, guys I'm aware there are 500 whizzer varients and not all of them look exactly like a seoinage suck it it's still a judo move
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 1:27pm

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am absolutely and completely ignorant of judo. When I think of judo I imagine ppl geeting thrown over shoulders all day. I've been given plenty of reasons why not to pursue chun but no reasons why I should pursue another specific art. Its not like I've seen many ppl using judo throws in ufc or other mma events, they mainly use takedowns from shoot wrestling...
    If demonstrated effectiveness in sport fighting is your main criteria for selecting a MA to train in, why are you interested in Wing Chun?

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 1:45pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't say I wanted to practice WC because I saw a seminar on youtube
    Read my post again because you just screwed up what I said.

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 1:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did we get a link to the wing chun school somewhere? (Yes, I am this lazy.)

Anyway, once upon a time I was in a hotel bar at a conference talking to some friends and the conversation shifted to the subject of being knocked unconscious. One woman in the crowd mentioned that she had been knocked unconscious once while sparring, because the little school she went to didn't have enough helmets for everyone.

I asked what martial art she practiced and she said "gongfu."

Then I asked her what kind and she said "wing chun."

I was very surprised and said, "I didn't know of any wing chun teachers that actually spar, much less spar to the point where someone can get KOed. Who is your teacher?"

The woman, who was from Seattle, smirked and said, "You might have heard of...Jesse Glover?"

Anyway, we talked a bit more about her experience. So I suspect it is possible to find the deadly real chun out there. It's just one school per ten thousand instead of one school per, uh, one or two, as in judo.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 1:58pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I liked Wing Chun because the forms aren't animal based so I thought it would be more practical than other CMAs.
    Um...hate to break it to you...Wing chun forms are animal based (i.e. snake and crane).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 2:05pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ashkelon View Post
    Judo is much appreciated because of it's training method, which includes lots of sparring.
    If you'd read more than just the chun threads - where everybody will be trolling btw -you'll see most people recommend competition sports:
    Judo, Boxing, Muay Thai, various types of Wrestling, BJJ, SAMBO etc.
    More and more Judo in MMA, but MMA's generally not fought with Gi's, so it's not always obvious.
    +1

Karo pretty much made his career from judo, same with Dong Hyung Kim, and if you watched the last UFC Akiyama had some really sweet classic judo takedowns, not to mention his takedown defends. Needed to let his hands go but that's a different thing entirely.
    Last edited by BJMills; 2/28/2012 2:06pm at . Reason: typos

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 2:35pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Did we get a link to the wing chun school somewhere? (Yes, I am this lazy.)

Anyway, once upon a time I was in a hotel bar at a conference talking to some friends and the conversation shifted to the subject of being knocked unconscious. One woman in the crowd mentioned that she had been knocked unconscious once while sparring, because the little school she went to didn't have enough helmets for everyone.

I asked what martial art she practiced and she said "gongfu."

Then I asked her what kind and she said "wing chun."

I was very surprised and said, "I didn't know of any wing chun teachers that actually spar, much less spar to the point where someone can get KOed. Who is your teacher?"

The woman, who was from Seattle, smirked and said, "You might have heard of...Jesse Glover?"

Anyway, we talked a bit more about her experience. So I suspect it is possible to find the deadly real chun out there. It's just one school per ten thousand instead of one school per, uh, one or two, as in judo.

Jessie glover studied w bruce lee. Bruce lee literally got in fist fights with the wc establishment over aliveness.

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 2:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    Jessie glover studied w bruce lee. Bruce lee literally got in fist fights with the wc establishment over aliveness.
    Yeah, I know. It's enough so that I always like to see the school in question, just in case it's one of the rare diamonds in the shitpile.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 2:55pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ashkelon: i've looked over just about every forum on here and not much real info is given about any type of martial art. and one of the reasons i take ppl less serious that troll the chun threads is because that seems to be all thats going on, they dont have anything contructive to say and a lot of the ppl putting the chun down also practice a TCMA outside of the context of mma events.

IiF: so what exactly did you mean?

Rivington: i asked for ppl to check out the website in another post that got mangled and beat to death then thrown into a pile of other posts where it continued to get beat from time to time lol. if you're interested the link is: http://www.mountainmartialartsacademy.com/

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 3:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ashkelon: i've looked over just about every forum on here and not much real info is given about any type of martial art. and one of the reasons i take ppl less serious that troll the chun threads is because that seems to be all thats going on, they dont have anything contructive to say and a lot of the ppl putting the chun down also practice a TCMA outside of the context of mma events.

IiF: so what exactly did you mean?

Rivington: i asked for ppl to check out the website in another post that got mangled and beat to death then thrown into a pile of other posts where it continued to get beat from time to time lol. if you're interested the link is: http://www.mountainmartialartsacademy.com/
    Most people who troll WC threads have a **** ton more experience in Chun than you have including the guy who started this site.
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011121319 ... LastLast