Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678 910111218 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 8:29am

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    Now obviously every chunner doesn't train like this but I was watching a video of some london chunners training specifically to fight a boxer at a seminar and the stuff looked pretty solid to me. I can't get the link on my phone but I'm sure a quick youtube search about wing chun would pull up the video. Its about 15 to 20 minutes I believe, if anyone is interested.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Did they train with a boxer or someone pretending to be a boxer and was it dead drills or practiced alive through sparring.

I'm guessing it'll be no and no.
    "Won't fight me in the ring? Don't fight me on the street."
    Paraphrased from Bullshido.

"You can't judge Martial Arts until you feel the joy of kicking someone in the face and not go to prison for it."
    Mrs Kovacs.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 8:50am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say there's a good chance you're right and right, I'm just saying that it just depends on how you train. I'd like to find some boxers and other martial artists in my area when I get better at the chun.

Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 9:17am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
    Did they train with a boxer or someone pretending to be a boxer and was it dead drills or practiced alive through sparring.

I'm guessing it'll be no and no.
    It doesn't matter because it was a seminar. Also, how often do you train Judo to beat a chunner? I'm almost certain you just train techniques to learn and apply them.

Before someone makes a correction, you go into training camp and develop a strategy to fight a specific person. You didn't hone your skills based on a specific fighting style.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 9:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand all that, IiF, I'm just saying I wanna train with other styles to get a feel for them in case I decide to try and get into competitions.

Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 10:11am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    I'm just saying I wanna train with other styles to get a feel for them in case I decide to try and get into competitions.

Let me know which one it is because first it was the only school that sparred and you liked WC because it looked effective at a seminar. Now, it is to help introduce you to new styles just in case you want to compete.

Train what you want or like, but don't expect validation from many of the posters.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 11:21am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol I'm not looking for validation, just an occasional answer to a martial arts question. I didn't say I wanted to practice WC because I saw a seminar on youtube, I was just saying that it could be effective against other styles if trained to be. The only validation I ever asked for was not for style of martial arts to take, but about the school I was looking at but that was a few weeks ago lol.

Start a training log!

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 12:31pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how about this: it's ****, train something else. Get it out of your head that you're going to be the first guy to do something right in wing chun, and just spend your time on something better.

there's at least one BJJ place in Ashville and another one in Waynesville.

if you really want a "traditional" art go here
    http://www.ashevillejudo.com/
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 12:44pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing is not a style. In fact, there are several different styles boxers use to gain an advantage.

Do you know what style of boxing is similar to Wing Chun? Think square stance, moves forward, pressures.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 1:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am absolutely and completely ignorant of judo. When I think of judo I imagine ppl geeting thrown over shoulders all day. I've been given plenty of reasons why not to pursue chun but no reasons why I should pursue another specific art. Its not like I've seen many ppl using judo throws in ufc or other mma events, they mainly use takedowns from shoot wrestling...

Start a training log!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 1:20pm

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is much appreciated because of it's training method, which includes lots of sparring.
    If you'd read more than just the chun threads - where everybody will be trolling btw -you'll see most people recommend competition sports:
    Judo, Boxing, Muay Thai, various types of Wrestling, BJJ, SAMBO etc.
    More and more Judo in MMA, but MMA's generally not fought with Gi's, so it's not always obvious.
Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678 910111218 ... LastLast