Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 2:01pm

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    Sorry if I was a little confusing, I'd like to reach 1st Dan in Wing Chun. And I was going off of IKMF as that's the only official krav organization I know of. As far as motivation goes, I just want to prove to myself I can be a good leader and this is the path I'm trying to follow.
    As far as I'm aware the IKMF is generally closer-to or has stronger ties to the IDF than the other Krav organizations running around, but I'm not sure I'd say it was the only 'official' one. It is the one I most recommend, though (being the one I have background with.)

If you want to prove your leadership abilities, have you thought about Scouting? I'm sure that any local Cub Scout/Boy Scout/Sea Scout units would love to have access to your firefighting skills, and helping to turn young people into decent adults is a really amazingly rewarding experience.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 3:22pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eudimic: Scouting is good for leadership, yes, but I don't think it pays well, if at all. I want to be a good leader, but I have a family to support.

Nefron: I chose Wing Chun because I heard it was a good fighting art, I like the Chi Na for street fights since I dabbled in shoot wrestling, and it's the only school around me that doesn't practice an art somebody made in their own head that isn't 'time-proven' (lol) or that hasn't been torn down by ppl on this site i.e. Shaolin Do.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2012 4:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mantis and ba gua

I did some more looking at martial arts in my area and I found a school that teaches northern mantis and dragon ba gua. I was basically wondering how affective these styles are and what kind of techniques they incorporate (i.e. high kick, low kick, trapping). Also I was wondering if anybody has info on Sifu Frank Paolillo, who runs the school or Grandmaster Poi (may be Pui) Chan. The link to the school is www.taoinstitute.org I'm wondering if he is even worth my time as it seems he's trying to incorporate Taoist practices into his curriculum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 5:51pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're looking to reduce stress, blood pressure and learn to fight through martial arts training, there is NO SUBSTITUTE for an art which has strenuous workouts (like, where newbies can't get through them without having to stop and rest), alive sparring and/or rolling and actual impact. Seriously, you need to sweat.

There are exceptions, but the vast majority of WC schools you'll encounter will not have all/any of these things. You are being given good advice by the posters on this board...don't wait two years to take it.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 8:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried out the wing chun school in my area and yes it did make me sweat a good bit but not the whole time since we practiced form and basic movements. I asked about sparring and they said they did just not with beginners I'd be looking at waiting a lil while before sifu would let me spar unless I just pick it up really quick probably.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 11:56am

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder what the sparring will actually look like, should you choose to wait for it. You'll do what you want to do, but I stand by what I said before.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 5:22pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do too but I think its a gonna be good. He teaches jkd too so I might pick that class up once a month

Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 6:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wing chun sparring

So I'm starting a school for wing chun after I went to a free class and liked what I saw and the environment. Basically I was wondering what things should I look for when I start sparring like how much contact and how fast we move?

Start a training log!

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 7:28pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think there's one main thing to look for, but here's some thoughts:
    -there should be technical crossover from your drilling to your sparring.

-people should be getting hit hard enough to cause discomfort.

-the sparring should not be stopped and reset every time something happens.

-It should be approached as a training exercise, not a contest between the two participants.

-appropriate safety gear should be required to achieve the right level of contact safely. Minimum safety gear is a mouthpiece. I've seen a kung fu school spar with no gear, and their sparring was very light contact yet they thought themselves quite hardcore for sparring that way.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 7:37pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, you went to a class and didn't watch sparring?
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 12345 678915 ... LastLast