Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 9:56am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, tai chi is pretty good for stress reduction and moving meditation. At good schools, it can be for martial arts. But it is not a good treatment for legitimate mental health problems. If her therapist was not doing a good job, then she should seek out another one.

Being only 23, I would seek to reduce those stressors. Personally, if her mental issues are causing you that much stress, I would distance myself from her until she gets herself more stable. But you are 23 so you are probably pretty idealistic. So just make sure you don't get her pregnant, so you can leave your options open.

As far as tai chi for you, yes sounds like it would be good for you. It won't hurt either way. Try it out fit about 3 months and see how you feel. Any of the above places would be good. The one that focuses on internal healing, which is what you are looking for. And they offer a free intro class.

Good luck with your situation!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 10:15am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nefron: what martial arts would you recommend?

Diesel: we already have a child together lol that's the daughter I was talkin about. And I knows he needs a good therapist but, like you said, I'm fairly idealistic and would like to believe tai chi could help, not cure, my gf. And thank you very much for your help.

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 10:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can read this article for reference:
    http://www.bullshido.org/Finding_a_g...al_arts_school

The martial arts that I, and others here, will recommend for fighting are arts that are known to train with aliveness, and compete regularly in full contact competition.

That list will include kickboxing, muay thai, boxing, kykoshin karate, san shou, judo, bjj, sambo etc.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 11:37am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, noobietown nope have to put up the stop sign. You need to go to family counseling, FAMILY COUNSELING not Tai Chi. Anything you do can relieve stress from Yoga to Tai Chi. You have familial issues that have to be treated at the root.

It is one thing to go because the doctor said go find something. It is another thing to go for holistic health reasons and self diagnosis of your own stress. You won't learn anything in three months to help you or your family situation.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 11:40am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well Im going to a trial class in a couple of days, so I will ask about the Alive training methods. Thanks for the link to, I'm reading it now and it's giving me a lot to think about. Is there any associations or federations or what have you I could look into for competition? I don't believe there are any martial arts competitions around my area besides a few mma in cities too far to drive just for a little school on school competition.

It is Fake: I'm quite sure I know tai chi is not a cure all for mental illness/conditions. I'm also sure I know that it, Tai Chi, could HELP reduce stress. And it's not family therapy that is needed. She's got her own issues she needs worked out from her own family who refuse to go to therapy with her. If it was just me and her arguing I would not worry so much because I know couples argue and I would know we needed family therapy.
    Last edited by itwasntme; 2/19/2012 11:45am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 12:43pm

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    . . .I plan on taking this for 4 years because there is no true krav maga in my state and I would like to become an instructor. Like I said I'm completely brand new to martial arts and would greatly appreciate opinions on this school/martial art.
    jwilde, what do you mean when you say 'true krav'? Last I heard there were two or three orgs running around that could be considered legit, though the quality of their instructors can vary a lot. Also, whatever it is, 'true Krav Maga' isn't going to have a Dan ranking and probably not a direct equivalent.

(btw, Considering that you are a complete neophyte what is your motivation to become an instructor? And welcome to Bullshido.)

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 1:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry if I was a little confusing, I'd like to reach 1st Dan in Wing Chun. And I was going off of IKMF as that's the only official krav organization I know of. As far as motivation goes, I just want to prove to myself I can be a good leader and this is the path I'm trying to follow.

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 1:25pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dan ranks are a Japanese thing.

Why WC?

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 1:27pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    Sorry if I was a little confusing, I'd like to reach 1st Dan in Wing Chun. And I was going off of IKMF as that's the only official krav organization I know of. As far as motivation goes, I just want to prove to myself I can be a good leader and this is the path I'm trying to follow.
    If any kung fu school uses dan ranking, except for ones with an extremely strong tie to Chinese Wushu, run away.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 2:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ann thank you It is Fake. Idk that the school I'm looking at uses it, I thought Dan and black belt were interchangeable lol
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast