233256 Bullies, 3665 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 291 to 300 of 310
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 202627282930 31 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. SonofRex is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    15

    Posted On:
    3/16/2012 4:57pm


     Style: JKD, Kali, BJJ, Muay Thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    We have a Balintawak guy on this forum, also(Jspeedy). What do you consider low intensity sparring? When we spar we consider low intensity as padded sticks, gloves, and helmet, but full speed and force. I know some train with no gear but slow down the sparring. Some also do pre-aranged forms but full contact. I'm just curious how you guys do it.

    Also in the Kali that you practice, it most of that training done with stick, or how much is done stick only compared to other weapons.

    I think that training in Kali and Balintawak for 2.5 years should give you pretty good experience to draw from.
    Like I said before I don't have the proper equipment. What I mean by low intensity is slow speed with rattan sticks. I have forearm guards and MMA gloves, which help, but not for full speed. The gear you mentioned is on my list for Santa so I can do full speed/force. We also do cuentada (counter for counter) which is more of an energy drill than actual sparring. As far as weaponry, we use single stick, double stick, stick and dagger, knife, kris, bolo, pocket stick (very short for guntin), and of course empty hand. With bladed weapons we use aluminum or wooden training blades. We do some full contact knife sparring with rubber knives or magic markers (to see where we are cut). I think we do more single stick than other combinations, but we do all of those pretty often.
  2. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,103

    Posted On:
    3/16/2012 5:13pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The biggest flaw in TMA is the "you must have experience" BS excuse.
  3. Mister is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cairo, Egypt
    Posts
    642

    Posted On:
    3/16/2012 7:50pm


     Style: Injured

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    The biggest flaw in TMA is the "you must have experience" BS excuse.
    I got it today when I tried to tell one of the Aikido black belts about aliveness. He said:

    "You are not experienced enough to train without hurting anyone, you are still struggling with footwork. The only time you can test Aikido is when someone really wants to kill you"

    So I asked just to make sure I got it right if the only way to test something that is supposed to save my life is when my life is actually on the line.

    He shrugged...
  4. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,103

    Posted On:
    3/16/2012 8:24pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stupid. It is why this is the biggest flaw. You practice driving, swimming, writing, math, dancing etc etc etc.

    Funny how certain martial arts believe you have to wait YEARS to practice something correctly. You aren't an Olympic level swimmer BEFORE you get in the pool.
  5. Diesel_tke is offline
    Diesel_tke's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    4,005

    Posted On:
    3/16/2012 10:31pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofRex View Post
    Like I said before I don't have the proper equipment. What I mean by low intensity is slow speed with rattan sticks. I have forearm guards and MMA gloves, which help, but not for full speed. The gear you mentioned is on my list for Santa so I can do full speed/force. We also do cuentada (counter for counter) which is more of an energy drill than actual sparring. As far as weaponry, we use single stick, double stick, stick and dagger, knife, kris, bolo, pocket stick (very short for guntin), and of course empty hand. With bladed weapons we use aluminum or wooden training blades. We do some full contact knife sparring with rubber knives or magic markers (to see where we are cut). I think we do more single stick than other combinations, but we do all of those pretty often.
    Yeah, I've done that kind of sparring before. But I noticed that when we started sparring full speed I was all over the place. I didn't start getting comfortable with my stick game until I started sparring full speed every week. Then my game went up a hundred percent!

    But it is hard to find people who think this way in my area. Thanks for sharing your experience! If you are ever in the Pensacola area, look me up and we will spar!
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
  6. wncmtnmike is offline

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Hendersonville, NC
    Posts
    1

    Posted On:
    5/24/2012 11:08am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sifu Larry Rice is a good man and has a lot of knowledge in MA. The only thing you need to bring to him is an open mind and an eagerness to learn. He does not teach like others he lets it go to an open style, the best of all styles. Does that sound familiar? JKD and WC is where Sifu Rice shines and his passion for both is obvious. If you want a big structured class go somewhere else but if you are seeking the opportunity to work with someone who loves teaching MA then talk to Sifu Larry Rice.
  7. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,103

    Posted On:
    5/24/2012 11:12am

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wncmtnmike View Post
    blah blah blah The BEST blah blah blah GREAT GUY blah blah blah PASSION blah blah blah DIFFERENT TEACHER blah blah blah
    Welcome to bullshido..
  8. wingchunx2z is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    785

    Posted On:
    5/24/2012 12:31pm


     Style: Wing Chun

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wncmtnmike View Post
    Sifu Larry Rice is a good man and has a lot of knowledge in MA. The only thing you need to bring to him is an open mind and an eagerness to learn. He does not teach like others he lets it go to an open style, the best of all styles. Does that sound familiar? JKD and WC is where Sifu Rice shines and his passion for both is obvious. If you want a big structured class go somewhere else but if you are seeking the opportunity to work with someone who loves teaching MA then talk to Sifu Larry Rice.
    Chainpunch fist bump, bro!

    War Ip Man!
  9. Chili Pepper is online now
    Chili Pepper's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,260

    Posted On:
    5/24/2012 12:32pm


     Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wncmtnmike View Post
    Sifu Larry Rice is a good man and has a lot of knowledge in MA.
    You forgot to call him "the real deal."
  10. ADM is offline
    ADM's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,730

    Posted On:
    5/24/2012 7:47pm


     Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunx2z View Post
    Chainpunch fist bump, bro!

    War Ip Man!
    And there's your kiss of death wncmtnmike
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 202627282930 31 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.