Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 4:57pm

Style: JKD, Kali, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    We have a Balintawak guy on this forum, also(Jspeedy). What do you consider low intensity sparring? When we spar we consider low intensity as padded sticks, gloves, and helmet, but full speed and force. I know some train with no gear but slow down the sparring. Some also do pre-aranged forms but full contact. I'm just curious how you guys do it.

Also in the Kali that you practice, it most of that training done with stick, or how much is done stick only compared to other weapons.

I think that training in Kali and Balintawak for 2.5 years should give you pretty good experience to draw from.
    Like I said before I don't have the proper equipment. What I mean by low intensity is slow speed with rattan sticks. I have forearm guards and MMA gloves, which help, but not for full speed. The gear you mentioned is on my list for Santa so I can do full speed/force. We also do cuentada (counter for counter) which is more of an energy drill than actual sparring. As far as weaponry, we use single stick, double stick, stick and dagger, knife, kris, bolo, pocket stick (very short for guntin), and of course empty hand. With bladed weapons we use aluminum or wooden training blades. We do some full contact knife sparring with rubber knives or magic markers (to see where we are cut). I think we do more single stick than other combinations, but we do all of those pretty often.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 5:13pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The biggest flaw in TMA is the "you must have experience" BS excuse.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 7:50pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    The biggest flaw in TMA is the "you must have experience" BS excuse.
    I got it today when I tried to tell one of the Aikido black belts about aliveness. He said:

"You are not experienced enough to train without hurting anyone, you are still struggling with footwork. The only time you can test Aikido is when someone really wants to kill you"

So I asked just to make sure I got it right if the only way to test something that is supposed to save my life is when my life is actually on the line.

He shrugged...

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 8:24pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stupid. It is why this is the biggest flaw. You practice driving, swimming, writing, math, dancing etc etc etc.

Funny how certain martial arts believe you have to wait YEARS to practice something correctly. You aren't an Olympic level swimmer BEFORE you get in the pool.

Posted On:
    3/16/2012 10:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofRex View Post
    Like I said before I don't have the proper equipment. What I mean by low intensity is slow speed with rattan sticks. I have forearm guards and MMA gloves, which help, but not for full speed. The gear you mentioned is on my list for Santa so I can do full speed/force. We also do cuentada (counter for counter) which is more of an energy drill than actual sparring. As far as weaponry, we use single stick, double stick, stick and dagger, knife, kris, bolo, pocket stick (very short for guntin), and of course empty hand. With bladed weapons we use aluminum or wooden training blades. We do some full contact knife sparring with rubber knives or magic markers (to see where we are cut). I think we do more single stick than other combinations, but we do all of those pretty often.
    Yeah, I've done that kind of sparring before. But I noticed that when we started sparring full speed I was all over the place. I didn't start getting comfortable with my stick game until I started sparring full speed every week. Then my game went up a hundred percent!

But it is hard to find people who think this way in my area. Thanks for sharing your experience! If you are ever in the Pensacola area, look me up and we will spar!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    5/24/2012 11:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sifu Larry Rice is a good man and has a lot of knowledge in MA. The only thing you need to bring to him is an open mind and an eagerness to learn. He does not teach like others he lets it go to an open style, the best of all styles. Does that sound familiar? JKD and WC is where Sifu Rice shines and his passion for both is obvious. If you want a big structured class go somewhere else but if you are seeking the opportunity to work with someone who loves teaching MA then talk to Sifu Larry Rice.

Administrator

Posted On:
    5/24/2012 11:12am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wncmtnmike View Post
    blah blah blah The BEST blah blah blah GREAT GUY blah blah blah PASSION blah blah blah DIFFERENT TEACHER blah blah blah
    Welcome to bullshido..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/24/2012 12:31pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sifu Larry Rice is a good man and has a lot of knowledge in MA. The only thing you need to bring to him is an open mind and an eagerness to learn. He does not teach like others he lets it go to an open style, the best of all styles. Does that sound familiar? JKD and WC is where Sifu Rice shines and his passion for both is obvious. If you want a big structured class go somewhere else but if you are seeking the opportunity to work with someone who loves teaching MA then talk to Sifu Larry Rice.
    Chainpunch fist bump, bro!

War Ip Man!

Posted On:
    5/24/2012 12:32pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sifu Larry Rice is a good man and has a lot of knowledge in MA.
    You forgot to call him "the real deal."

Posted On:
    5/24/2012 7:47pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunx2z View Post
    Chainpunch fist bump, bro!

War Ip Man!
    And there's your kiss of death wncmtnmike
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 202627282930 31 LastLast