Welcome to the site.

In your town is

http://www.ashevillejudo.com/index.htm

Class Times: Thursdays 7PM—8PM
    Sundays 11 AM—1 PM

Classed located at the “Center for Martial Arts”:
    412 Merrimon Ave.
    Asheville, NC 28804

If you are interested in classes, feel free to come check us out. Better yet, come join us for a class to see if Judo is right for you!
    Most places will offer a week or two for free. Have you been to the Center for Martial Arts?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2012 10:55pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is so good about judo and jujitsu?
    Last edited by itwasntme; 2/18/2012 11:02pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2012 11:02pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://centerformartialartsusa.com/

I've done what I can from here. If you're serious, you'll check into the place and get back with us. If not, you've wasted my time.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 2:46am

Style: spectator

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    http://centerformartialartsusa.com/

I've done what I can from here. If you're serious, you'll check into the place and get back with us. If not, you've wasted my time.
    This is the school I asked about and the founder's certifications and the current leader's certifications were given a thumbs down. Somebody else said there are better places in Asheville to train but didn't say where.

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 8:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The last one in the list you will want to skip all together! The first one looks like a good place to try out. They do the yang form primarily and push hands, which is good. But you have to try it out to see how good it is.

The second link looks OK. It looks to be mostly about internal healing and Tai Chi as a form of medicine. This not bad necessarily, it just depends on what you are looking for in Tai Chi, which I don't think you even know.

The third one is a little wierd. They teach some obscure form of Tai Chi, which you can find a video of on youtube. It supposedly is only taught in America by this one teacher who goes to China to learn it from a master. That could be cool, if it is what you are into. Try out the form to know for sure. BUT he also teaches some art called TAI Kempo or something like that. You can find the 10th dan of this art on you tube, doing some crazy looking forms. I would steer clear of that. There were some pics of his push hands with his master in china, and they looked pretty good. So his Tai Chi could be really good..

If it were me personally, I would check out the first and third and see what they are like. See what the push hands are like. The only way you will know is by trying.

That's all you will get with the little information you have provided.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 8:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I checked out both sites and neither offer what I wanna take. Thanks for the help, hungryjoe. Like I said tho, I really wanna do WC, but this school only offers one 2 hour class a week and I just don't know how often most ppl need to train to become proficient. I want at least 1st Dan. I plan on taking this for 4 years because there is no true krav maga in my state and I would like to become an instructor. Like I said I'm completely brand new to martial arts and would greatly appreciate opinions on this school/martial art.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 8:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Diesel_tke: thanks for the info and I did state in the first post that I wanted to practice tai chi to reduce my stress levels, I'm sure this whole post got fairly confusing to onlookers and those trying to help me after 3 posts got blended into one

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 8:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    Diesel_tke: thanks for the info and I did state in the first post that I wanted to practice tai chi to reduce my stress levels,
    Yeah, I know. That's what I meant by "the little information you provided". Stress levels could probably be better treated by some modifications in your life. But since you didn't provide any more information than you did, there is no way to know.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 9:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well basically I'm still pretty young at 23. I've always had trouble dealing with anger and stress. The biggest stress right now is my lifestyle which is something that would probably reduce a lot of stress if changed. I went to job corps (poverty college) and learned two trades so I could get a job to take care of my gf and daughter. I'm certified in security, construction craft labor, and wild land firefighting and now that I'm home I can't find work. So like I said, a lot of that stress will go away once I find a job, but my gf on the other hand, is a whole other story. She's mentally unstable. Not psych ward crazy, but she can't control her emotions, period. She went to therapy for 6 months and the therapist didn't really do **** for her but give her some meds that don't really work, so I think tai chi could help me help her also. Other than this I'm not real sure what kind of info you may need. Hope this helps.

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 9:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    I would like a good fighting art, but I'm also really into the Chi Na concept.
    Again, search the forums for general opinion on Wing Chun. There is a very slim change you will learn to fight by training WC.

If fighting is your primary goal, there are far better options.
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast