233530 Bullies, 3636 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 281 to 290 of 310
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 192526272829 3031 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. SonofRex is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    15

    Posted On:
    3/15/2012 5:43pm


     Style: JKD, Kali, BJJ, Muay Thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    SonofRex, do you actually train in Muay Thai and BJJ or do you only take the wing chun class that has such excellent MT-striking/ clinching and BJJ-grappling that you put that in your style field?

    EDIT: Also, you said Larry Rice was your instructor? Not Francis Fong, is this correct?
    Azatdawn, I do in fact actively train in the arts that I listed separately from WC. I spend the most time training in WC, Kali, and Balintawak, because my Sifu offers those classes independently. BJJ, MT, and JKD are all taught in one class, so I don’t get as much time with those as I would like. Some nights are strictly BJJ, some are MT or JKD. Sometimes we hit all three in a two hour class. Recently my instructor said that he is going to open another class so the arts could be further sepatated. I also occasionally take private lessons, where I usually ask for one art that I feel I am missing. Besides that, I go to any seminar that I can where his instructors are teaching. I have been to a few with Dan Inosanto, Master Chai, and Pedro Saure, as well as Francis Fong. When I travel, I look for instructors under the same lineage and ask if I can join their class while I am there. I am by no means highly experienced. My total MA experience spans less than 6 years, My time in the arts we are discussing is just over 2 and a half years.
  2. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,103

    Posted On:
    3/15/2012 5:48pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, none of those other guys answer his question and seminars do not make them your instructors.

    Your teacher is Larry Rice correct?

    Yes, or no. Why? Because everyone keeps missing that very important distinction in your very long posts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Ah! I misunderstood. I thought that Master Fong was your teacher.
    I told you guys no long ago.
  3. SonofRex is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    15

    Posted On:
    3/15/2012 5:51pm


     Style: JKD, Kali, BJJ, Muay Thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Okay, none of those other guys answer his question and seminars do not make them your instructors.

    Your teacher is Larry Rice correct?
    That is correct. I never meant to say that Francis Fong is my Sifu. I have trained with him only a few times.
  4. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,103

    Posted On:
    3/15/2012 5:52pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you.
  5. itwasntme is offline
    itwasntme's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    1,605

    Posted On:
    3/15/2012 8:22pm

    supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofRex View Post
    Jwilde88, I suppose I owe you an apology. I let your comments get to me and I lost my cool, which is my fault, not yours. In my anger over your comments I assumed the worst about your intentions in challenging your good friend to spar with you. If your intentions are as you say, then it should be a valuable and fun experience for both of you, regardless of who has the best performance. I am sorry for my angry words about it.
    On other points, I would like you to know that I did not lie about how I found this thread. If your friend did mention it in class, I somehow missed it. I found the thread when I typed my teacher’s name into google.
    I understand that people talk trash on the internet and I can’t do anything about that. So far you and I are the only ones here that know my instructor. So this is an appeal directly to you. I know that it is common to talk trash on the internet, but the internet is really one of the worst places to do this. The comments we make here can be read by anyone anywhere and they persist indefinitely. My Sifu was very gracious and welcoming to you. Even if his school is not the one for you there really was no reason to say some of the things you said. To let comments fly like “I should have known he was a **** instructor...” has consequences. From now on when someone is researching him online, they will find those comments. It is potentially damaging to his livelihood and he doesn’t deserve that from you. To my knowledge this is the first time anyone has posted comments like these about him online, so it really bothered me. If it was your intention to trash his name, then this appeal is meaningless. But if you did not intend any harm to him, then please consider how the power of your words can affect people in the future. I also noticed the positive things that you said, and I do not believe that it was your intention to damage his name.
    Thank you and good luck with your training.
    I was never even mad at you, but I appreciate the apology. I completely understand your being so emotional at my opinion of your instructor. I'm not going to apologize or make excuses for anything I said about him, though. I said what I said because that's MY impression in 4 hours of meeting him. I can, however, clarify some things for anyone who may be interested in taking classes from Larry Rice. Again, this is my OPINION after 4 hours of interaction with this instructor, my opinion could very well be the farthest thing from the truth. I have a very hard time trusting ppl, so if any one thing sets me off, that could be the last time I have interactions with said person. I was in no way trying to give a review of the class or its training methods, as I have not had much time to judge on. So for anybody reading this, it is just one man's OPINION.
    Having said that, I would like to touch on at least one more point you mentioned. You tried to discredit my opinion on your instructor based on me not having any prior traditional martial arts experience, but that has nothing to do with judging a persons character. Even if it did, I have experience in fighting arts, so I believe I do have at least SOME basis with which to judge a martial arts school on.
    Since I'm feeling a little more mature, I'll also take the time to explain something else. One of the reasons I accepted the fliers was also because I was still forming an opinion on the instructor, though it was basically formed and the only thing keeping me there was that I wanted the class to be for me so bad because I couldn't find another school that looked halfway decent. Also, the thing I said about a discount was nothing more than a smart ass comment. I would not have even accepted a discount for the wing chun as that's not the martial art I really want to practice. The only thing I ever asked your instructor about a "discount" was when I asked if he had any monthly packages or group discount prices and the only reason I was interested was that I wanted to learn muay thai. If you look at the post dates and compare the dates to the emails I sent your instructor, you'll see I asked all of this before other things were "unearthed."
    On another note, I think it would be awesome if our friend stomps a mudhole in my ass with the chun. I recall Mr. Rice saying wing chun takes a while to become proficient with, so if you're interested, I would like to spar eventually, preferably once you've done biu gee. Maybe you could be the highlander of the chun this forum has been waiting for :P

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Start a training log!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.
  6. RWaggs is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kenmore, WA
    Posts
    925

    Posted On:
    3/15/2012 8:44pm


     Style: KK

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    On another note, I think it would be awesome if our friend stomps a mudhole in my ass with the chun.
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    I'm finding myself more and more wanting this to happen as well, but that's just my OPINION.
  7. itwasntme is offline
    itwasntme's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    WNC
    Posts
    1,605

    Posted On:
    3/15/2012 9:18pm

    supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    I'm finding myself more and more wanting this to happen as well, but that's just my OPINION.
    You sure that's not a FACT?

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Start a training log!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.
  8. Zod is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    182

    Posted On:
    3/15/2012 10:42pm


     Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofRex View Post
    I have been to a few with Dan Inosanto, Master Chai, and Pedro Saure, as well as Francis Fong. When I travel, I look for instructors under the same lineage and ask if I can join their class while I am there.
    Is your coach a student of Pedro Sauer? I didn't see an BJJ belts listed on his page - does he conduct those classes or does he have another coach who handles that?

    EDIT: Not trying to insinuate that he's claiming BJJ rank or anything, I'm just honestly curious.
  9. Diesel_tke is offline
    Diesel_tke's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    4,005

    Posted On:
    3/16/2012 9:28am

    Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofRex View Post
    I have only done very limited stick sparring at low intensity in my class with my Sifu. I do not have the right safety equipment yet and I’d like to keep my hands from getting too busted up. I do look forward to stick sparring though, and my Sifu has indicated that he would like to bring me to that level soon. I have been training Kali and Balintawak for a little more than two and a half years.
    Thank you for your advice! I will add a review soon.
    We have a Balintawak guy on this forum, also(Jspeedy). What do you consider low intensity sparring? When we spar we consider low intensity as padded sticks, gloves, and helmet, but full speed and force. I know some train with no gear but slow down the sparring. Some also do pre-aranged forms but full contact. I'm just curious how you guys do it.

    Also in the Kali that you practice, it most of that training done with stick, or how much is done stick only compared to other weapons.

    I think that training in Kali and Balintawak for 2.5 years should give you pretty good experience to draw from.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
  10. SonofRex is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    15

    Posted On:
    3/16/2012 4:22pm


     Style: JKD, Kali, BJJ, Muay Thai

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zod View Post
    Is your coach a student of Pedro Sauer? I didn't see an BJJ belts listed on his page - does he conduct those classes or does he have another coach who handles that?

    EDIT: Not trying to insinuate that he's claiming BJJ rank or anything, I'm just honestly curious.
    No, like myself, my coach has only trained with Pedro Saure at seminars. My coach is a student of Rickson Gracie. I don't know what his belt ranking in BJJ is (if any), But I do know that he holds a black belt in traditional Jujitsu under Hanshi Carl Wilcox. He holds rankings in other grappling arts as well (Dumog, Silat) and started out in wrestling (State Champion) in his younger years. What we learn in his classes is a mixture of styles, but he always tells us where he learned a particular drill or technique, He most often credits Rickson Gracie when we are grappling.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.