Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 7:23am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofRex View Post
    jwilde88, I did not say that “the chun is an all inclusive gagglefuck of martial arts.” My exact words were “Wing Chun is a complete martial art when explored to its fullest.” By that I was leading to a statement that was meant to point out that there is in fact grappling and clinch work within the wing chun system that can be very successful. It is definitely not the focus point of the system in general though, especially the way most instructors teach it. My comment was specifically meant to say that the way Francis Fong, my Sigung, teaches WC, students will learn grappling and clinch from the early stages. And although he has very strong BJJ and Muay Thai, he does not disregard the principles of WC when teaching these techniques in a WC class.

I did not hear a word about you or this forum from your friend. I happened to type my Sifu’s name into google and I found this thread, where a generally negative discussion about my Sifu and WC was recently underway by a bunch of people who didn’t know much about him. That’s why I joined and posted.

I do know you from class. You were polite and cooperative and generally a good student. I also remember when my Sifu asked if we could hand out fliers to our friends. What he actually said was that he is making it a career to teach martial arts for self defense, but he does not want to focus on training people for competition. It was a request, not a demand. He wasn’t asking you to be his ‘do-boy’ and if you don’t feel like it then don’t do it. In fact don’t accept the fliers at all! I personally designed and printed those fliers to help promote his school and I don’t need them being wasted in your garbage can. Instead you talked like and acted like you really enjoyed the class only to come on here and say things like “I should have known this guy was a **** instructor from the moment we ended our first class.” Now if someone is searching his name online, your bullshit uneducated assumptions come up along with the rest of this crap. If he seemed to you like such a great person, why are you wasting your time writing negative **** about him online? Why not just go find a school that suits you better and shut the **** up? My Sifu is doing his best to make a living for his family teaching martial arts out of his home and he kindly asked his students to help him out. The rest of us were more than happy to do it because we know the value of his teachings, which include so much more than just WC. You think you should get a discount for handing out a flier. You’ve done enough already, so sorry there are no discounts being offered to you.

You want to talk about contradictions? You bitch and freak out about the two inexperienced boys that were trying to knock each other out on the the video, only to “challenge” your friend to spar with you in six months. For what purpose? Are you trying to help cultivate yours and his skills with some educational sparring or are you hoping to prove that your martial arts style is better than his? It sounds like you have something to prove and your challenge is out of your ego. I personally would decline to spar with you because I will only spar with people who demonstrate integrity in their actions and their words. Your friend seems like a smart guy. Hopefully smart enough to stick to the “uncontrolled backyard bullshit” that our school offers and stay away from people who want to prove how much better their MA is.
    There's not much I can say to you without repeating what the last few ppl to comment here have said. I do, however, have a couple of points I can make. Our mutual friend told me he brought up this thread in class, so why lie about it? I'm not mad at him, I expected it actually. If you feel another way about your instructor than I do, why not go to the school review forum and post a review. I gave my opinion, and the only reason the fliers weren't turned down "to your face" is to avoid drama, I had respect for the students, though less now for one in particular.

The match our mutual friend is setting up is strictly for fun and as a test for our abilities after some time to train in our arts and get back into shape. Our mutual friend and I have been friends for a very long time, he's like a brother to me, so while you opinion on me was greatly appreciated, it was dead wrong. I fully expect him to do at least fairly well in our match, he has 100 pounds on me, so idk why you're worried about what me, or anybody else has said about your instructor, if he's a good instructor, everyone on here will see that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 8:34am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Chun's a desert fire,
    Bullshido is the rhino,
    stomping and smashing.
    {vid from "the gods must be crazy"}

awesome reference!

then, by extension, chunning would be the equivalent of Jack Hind or Sam Boga?

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 8:51am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My exact words were “Wing Chun is a complete martial art when explored to its fullest.”
    ... which means exactly nothing.

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 10:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My comment was specifically meant to say that the way Francis Fong, my Sigung, teaches WC, students will learn grappling and clinch from the early stages. And although he has very strong BJJ and Muay Thai, he does not disregard the principles of WC when teaching these techniques in a WC class.

I happened to type my Sifu’s name into google and I found this thread, where a generally negative discussion about my Sifu and WC was recently underway by a bunch of people who didn’t know much about him. That’s why I joined and posted.
    Ah, good! Please review your school in the school area. I actually have a few questions about your instructor and some of his arts that he teaches. Someone in my local area is one of his students and is teaching. And would like to know a little more about one aspect of the training.

A seperate thread would allow you to talk well about your instructor on the net, thus having different results when you search his name. As well as allow people to duscuss that without derailing this thread.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 12:06pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL. No, it wouldn't. This was in a seperate thread, that I removed, and he backed way off the BJJ=WC grappling. Then I move it back and he is headed that way again.

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 12:16pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, my question wouldn't totally derail the thread, but it would in part because it is dealing with his instructor's style. But not the WC part.

I have questions about the stick training that they do. http://francisfongacademy.com/classes/Kali-Escrima

When you train Kali under Master Fong, how often is live sparring done? And what type of equipment is used. A guy moved to my area and he is offering to teach Kali, under Master Fong as well as WC and MT. But he was elusive on when or if they spar with the sticks. SonofRex, have you trained stick at your school? And at what point is live sparring done?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 3:36pm

Style: JKD, Kali, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    There's not much I can say to you without repeating what the last few ppl to comment here have said. I do, however, have a couple of points I can make. Our mutual friend told me he brought up this thread in class, so why lie about it? I'm not mad at him, I expected it actually. If you feel another way about your instructor than I do, why not go to the school review forum and post a review. I gave my opinion, and the only reason the fliers weren't turned down "to your face" is to avoid drama, I had respect for the students, though less now for one in particular.

The match our mutual friend is setting up is strictly for fun and as a test for our abilities after some time to train in our arts and get back into shape. Our mutual friend and I have been friends for a very long time, he's like a brother to me, so while you opinion on me was greatly appreciated, it was dead wrong. I fully expect him to do at least fairly well in our match, he has 100 pounds on me, so idk why you're worried about what me, or anybody else has said about your instructor, if he's a good instructor, everyone on here will see that.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Jwilde88, I suppose I owe you an apology. I let your comments get to me and I lost my cool, which is my fault, not yours. In my anger over your comments I assumed the worst about your intentions in challenging your good friend to spar with you. If your intentions are as you say, then it should be a valuable and fun experience for both of you, regardless of who has the best performance. I am sorry for my angry words about it.
    On other points, I would like you to know that I did not lie about how I found this thread. If your friend did mention it in class, I somehow missed it. I found the thread when I typed my teacher’s name into google.
    I understand that people talk trash on the internet and I can’t do anything about that. So far you and I are the only ones here that know my instructor. So this is an appeal directly to you. I know that it is common to talk trash on the internet, but the internet is really one of the worst places to do this. The comments we make here can be read by anyone anywhere and they persist indefinitely. My Sifu was very gracious and welcoming to you. Even if his school is not the one for you there really was no reason to say some of the things you said. To let comments fly like “I should have known he was a **** instructor...” has consequences. From now on when someone is researching him online, they will find those comments. It is potentially damaging to his livelihood and he doesn’t deserve that from you. To my knowledge this is the first time anyone has posted comments like these about him online, so it really bothered me. If it was your intention to trash his name, then this appeal is meaningless. But if you did not intend any harm to him, then please consider how the power of your words can affect people in the future. I also noticed the positive things that you said, and I do not believe that it was your intention to damage his name.
    Thank you and good luck with your training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 3:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Well, my question wouldn't totally derail the thread, but it would in part because it is dealing with his instructor's style. But not the WC part.

I have questions about the stick training that they do. http://francisfongacademy.com/classes/Kali-Escrima

When you train Kali under Master Fong, how often is live sparring done? And what type of equipment is used. A guy moved to my area and he is offering to teach Kali, under Master Fong as well as WC and MT. But he was elusive on when or if they spar with the sticks. SonofRex, have you trained stick at your school? And at what point is live sparring done?
    Diesel_tke, Francis Fong is my Sigung, meaning my teacher’s teacher. I have had the opportunity to train directly with him only a few times. As far as I know Francis Fong only teaches WC. The Francis Fong Academy has other MA taught by other instructors. I know that the Kali instructors are certified under Guru Dan Inosanto, but I don’t know them personally. I have no idea what their policies are on stick sparring. I have only done very limited stick sparring at low intensity in my class with my Sifu. I do not have the right safety equipment yet and I’d like to keep my hands from getting too busted up. I do look forward to stick sparring though, and my Sifu has indicated that he would like to bring me to that level soon. I have been training Kali and Balintawak for a little more than two and a half years.
    Thank you for your advice! I will add a review soon.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 3:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post

Diesel_tke, Francis Fong is my Sigung, meaning my teacher’s teacher. I have had the opportunity to train directly with him only a few times. As far as I know Francis Fong only teaches WC. The Francis Fong Academy has other MA taught by other instructors. I know that the Kali instructors are certified under Guru Dan Inosanto, but I don’t know them personally. I have no idea what their policies are on stick sparring. I have only done very limited stick sparring at low intensity in my class with my Sifu. I do not have the right safety equipment yet and I’d like to keep my hands from getting too busted up. I do look forward to stick sparring though, and my Sifu has indicated that he would like to bring me to that level soon. I have been training Kali and Balintawak for a little more than two and a half years.

Posted On:
    3/15/2012 3:44pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah! I misunderstood. I thought that Master Fong was your teacher.
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread