3/11/2012 10:11pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    @IiF: I see where you're coming from.
    No you don't.

But do you see what I'm saying about being a good fighter doesn't necessarily mean you're a good coach? That's like hiring the winner of American Idol to train you how to sing, yeah they're good, but if that doesn't mean they can teach you how to sing.
    This is a bad analogy you know why? You are mixing two concepts.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 7:30am

supporting member
     Style: yoga/bodyweight mainly

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    No you don't.

This is a bad analogy you know why? You are mixing two concepts.
    Some people like cucumbers better pickled

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Start a training log!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 10:32pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    Some people like cucumbers better pickled

If you could, please film your sparring session with your wing chun trained friend. I would be very interested to see how he performs.

I have recently taken a few judo classes that are now ofered once a week myself. It's a very challenging experience, and I hope you find what you're looking for with it.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 11:39pm

supporting member
     Style: yoga/bodyweight mainly

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I'm gonna look into camera prices when I get some extra cash. I gotta have my shoulder looked at in the morning, I reinjured it in no gi class today. Hopefully I'll just need another cortizone shot and it won't take much time from my training.

Start a training log!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 2:34am

Style: JKD, Kali, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I see what has happened here. I have wandered into a forum where there is a lot of distain for wing chun and “chunners” as some of you like to say. I should have seen that before I responded to the highly anti wing chun thread that I was reading. By comparing the distainful WC to the more beloved arts of Muay Thai and Jiujitsu, I have offended some members. Let me please offer my sincere apology to those members: I did not mean to insult you or your arts by comparing them to something that was less than. I am not asking you to like WC or even to give it a chance. Also please know that I train in MT and BJJ as well, and I have huge love for those arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 2:38am

Style: JKD, Kali, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    jwilde88, I did not say that “the chun is an all inclusive gagglefuck of martial arts.” My exact words were “Wing Chun is a complete martial art when explored to its fullest.” By that I was leading to a statement that was meant to point out that there is in fact grappling and clinch work within the wing chun system that can be very successful. It is definitely not the focus point of the system in general though, especially the way most instructors teach it. My comment was specifically meant to say that the way Francis Fong, my Sigung, teaches WC, students will learn grappling and clinch from the early stages. And although he has very strong BJJ and Muay Thai, he does not disregard the principles of WC when teaching these techniques in a WC class.

I did not hear a word about you or this forum from your friend. I happened to type my Sifu’s name into google and I found this thread, where a generally negative discussion about my Sifu and WC was recently underway by a bunch of people who didn’t know much about him. That’s why I joined and posted.

I do know you from class. You were polite and cooperative and generally a good student. I also remember when my Sifu asked if we could hand out fliers to our friends. What he actually said was that he is making it a career to teach martial arts for self defense, but he does not want to focus on training people for competition. It was a request, not a demand. He wasn’t asking you to be his ‘do-boy’ and if you don’t feel like it then don’t do it. In fact don’t accept the fliers at all! I personally designed and printed those fliers to help promote his school and I don’t need them being wasted in your garbage can. Instead you talked like and acted like you really enjoyed the class only to come on here and say things like “I should have known this guy was a **** instructor from the moment we ended our first class.” Now if someone is searching his name online, your bullshit uneducated assumptions come up along with the rest of this crap. If he seemed to you like such a great person, why are you wasting your time writing negative **** about him online? Why not just go find a school that suits you better and shut the **** up? My Sifu is doing his best to make a living for his family teaching martial arts out of his home and he kindly asked his students to help him out. The rest of us were more than happy to do it because we know the value of his teachings, which include so much more than just WC. You think you should get a discount for handing out a flier. You’ve done enough already, so sorry there are no discounts being offered to you.

You want to talk about contradictions? You bitch and freak out about the two inexperienced boys that were trying to knock each other out on the the video, only to “challenge” your friend to spar with you in six months. For what purpose? Are you trying to help cultivate yours and his skills with some educational sparring or are you hoping to prove that your martial arts style is better than his? It sounds like you have something to prove and your challenge is out of your ego. I personally would decline to spar with you because I will only spar with people who demonstrate integrity in their actions and their words. Your friend seems like a smart guy. Hopefully smart enough to stick to the “uncontrolled backyard bullshit” that our school offers and stay away from people who want to prove how much better their MA is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 3:56am

Style: Wrestling/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofRex View Post
    jwilde88, I did not say that “the chun is an all inclusive gagglefuck of martial arts.” My exact words were “Wing Chun is a complete martial art when explored to its fullest.” By that I was leading to a statement that was meant to point out that there is in fact grappling and clinch work within the wing chun system that can be very successful. It is definitely not the focus point of the system in general though, especially the way most instructors teach it. My comment was specifically meant to say that the way Francis Fong, my Sigung, teaches WC, students will learn grappling and clinch from the early stages. And although he has very strong BJJ and Muay Thai, he does not disregard the principles of WC when teaching these techniques in a WC class.

I did not hear a word about you or this forum from your friend. I happened to type my Sifu’s name into google and I found this thread, where a generally negative discussion about my Sifu and WC was recently underway by a bunch of people who didn’t know much about him. That’s why I joined and posted.

I do know you from class. You were polite and cooperative and generally a good student. I also remember when my Sifu asked if we could hand out fliers to our friends. What he actually said was that he is making it a career to teach martial arts for self defense, but he does not want to focus on training people for competition. It was a request, not a demand. He wasn’t asking you to be his ‘do-boy’ and if you don’t feel like it then don’t do it. In fact don’t accept the fliers at all! I personally designed and printed those fliers to help promote his school and I don’t need them being wasted in your garbage can. Instead you talked like and acted like you really enjoyed the class only to come on here and say things like “I should have known this guy was a **** instructor from the moment we ended our first class.” Now if someone is searching his name online, your bullshit uneducated assumptions come up along with the rest of this crap. If he seemed to you like such a great person, why are you wasting your time writing negative **** about him online? Why not just go find a school that suits you better and shut the **** up? My Sifu is doing his best to make a living for his family teaching martial arts out of his home and he kindly asked his students to help him out. The rest of us were more than happy to do it because we know the value of his teachings, which include so much more than just WC. You think you should get a discount for handing out a flier. You’ve done enough already, so sorry there are no discounts being offered to you.

You want to talk about contradictions? You bitch and freak out about the two inexperienced boys that were trying to knock each other out on the the video, only to “challenge” your friend to spar with you in six months. For what purpose? Are you trying to help cultivate yours and his skills with some educational sparring or are you hoping to prove that your martial arts style is better than his? It sounds like you have something to prove and your challenge is out of your ego. I personally would decline to spar with you because I will only spar with people who demonstrate integrity in their actions and their words. Your friend seems like a smart guy. Hopefully smart enough to stick to the “uncontrolled backyard bullshit” that our school offers and stay away from people who want to prove how much better their MA is.
    I am gonna point some things out to you, ok?

This is the internet, if you can't take what people say with a grain of salt, I suggest you log off and find something else to do. Otherwise, man the hell up and dont crybaby about someone talking ****. I don't care if someone is badmouthing your teacher, people badmouth other people all the time. If you see someone as two-faced, that's your opinion. And at the end, you decline even sparring this guy, who seems to be inherintly pissing you off. All I can say is wow.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 4:19am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nööb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    SonofRex, do you actually train in Muay Thai and BJJ or do you only take the wing chun class that has such excellent MT-striking/ clinching and BJJ-grappling that you put that in your style field?

EDIT: Also, you said Larry Rice was your instructor? Not Francis Fong, is this correct?

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 6:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By comparing the distainful WC to the more beloved arts of Muay Thai and Jiujitsu, I have offended some members. Let me please offer my sincere apology to those members: I did not mean to insult you or your arts by comparing them to something that was less than. I am not asking you to like WC or even to give it a chance. Also please know that I train in MT and BJJ as well, and I have huge love for those arts.
    It's nothing to do with having MT and BJJ held tightly in our pitted little hearts, it's that you made the claim that pure WC can compare to those styles in their area of speciality, which it clearly can't (unless you can show some evidence to the contrary).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2012 7:05am

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So wait, are we back to you claiming your WC teaches BJJ level grappling or do you cross train? What are your coaches BJJ background and qualifications again?