Administrator

Posted On:
    3/10/2012 6:20pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofRex View Post
    The match that is being discussed on this thread is definitely at a higher intensity than what we usually do.
    You know what? Don't post about your instructor or your class anymore. If that sparring, which was 4 years ago, is "higher than usual" you aren't negating any complaints.

Enjoy what you do, but you aren't "saving face."

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/10/2012 6:42pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Culled because we haven't had a "good" Chun equals BJJ grappling and Muay Thai clinch thread.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=115211

Mind the quotes.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 3/10/2012 6:45pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2012 7:11pm

Style: JKD, Kali, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was trying to respond in the Wing Chun sparring thread in which a lot of people were speculating about a school and an instructor that they don't really know. I did not mean to create another thread. Did I make some kind of mistake?

Posted On:
    3/10/2012 7:27pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofRex View Post
    I was trying to respond in the Wing Chun sparring thread in which a lot of people were speculating about a school and an instructor that they don't really know. I did not mean to create another thread. Did I make some kind of mistake?
    Yes, but your choice of martial art is a mistake you can fix.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/10/2012 7:28pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Culled means removed. I removed your posts because people need to see your comments. I know chun has great kool-aid, but chun=MT clinch and chun=BJJ grappling? Come on, how could I leave that gem in a rarely visited thread?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2012 8:52pm

Style: JKD, Kali, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hear what you're saying about that little gem. If you study Wing Chun under Francis Fong, BJJ and Muay Thai is included in the curriculum. The Francis Fong Academy offers classes in pure Gracie BJJ and in Muay Thai, as well as Kali/Silat. Cross training is encouraged. In the Wing Chun class if he is teaching grappling, it looks like a lot like BJJ. If he is teaching clinch technique, it looks a lot like Muay Thai, but he relates it through the language of Wing Chun. I don't just train wing chun. I cross train, so I at least have a foundation to base my comment upon. I'm not just a wing chun guy trying to say how great wing chun is. I think if you want to learn to grapple you should choose an art that is known for its superior grappling technique. Obviously BJJ is a great choice and I would not say you should look to wing chun for your grappling base. But if you learn Wing Chun from Francis Fong, you will get some solid grappling skills.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2012 9:29pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Randomly enough I know a few people who train at the Francis Fong academy in Georgia. I can't comment on the Wing Chun because frankly I don't know anything about it outside of the terrible videos on youtube, but I do know they have a legit BJJ program there....

Which kind of implies they don't believe in anything as silly as Wing Chun grappling that is equivelent to BJJ.

I know you're trying to defend the group you train with but really, these kinds of ridiculous statements do more harm than good.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    3/10/2012 9:34pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Francis Fong is not a joke. The only WC guys I respect are Francis Fong's former instructors. One was my second Muay Thai coach and the other was a high level student in that Muay Thai gym that taught a WC in the same school. They both used WC strategies in MT. My ongoing complaint is that those strategies aren't unique to WC. Only the bizarro language and over analysis of angles is a WC thing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2012 9:44pm

Style: BJJ Beginner

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Francis Fong is not a joke. The only WC guys I respect are Francis Fong's former instructors. One was my second Muay Thai coach and the other was a high level student in that Muay Thai gym that taught a WC in the same school. They both used WC strategies in MT. My ongoing complaint is that those strategies aren't unique to WC. Only the bizarro language and over analysis of angles is a WC thing.

Was one of those guys Pedro? He used to teach some WC techniques to slip in between more standard punches.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/10/2012 10:01pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please read those walls of text this is an appeal to authority. He got you guys to derail with Francis Fong. Next someone will come in thinking this is a diss directed at Dan Inosanto.

He trains with Larry Rice and then posted this appeal:
    One more thing: Wing Chun is a complete martial art when explored to its fullest. Francis Fong teaches grappling out of wing chun that is equivalent to BJJ, his clinch technique is on the level of Muay Thai, and his striking is insane.
    This is my issue. BJJ level grappling out of the chun? No. Sorry, don't believe it one bit.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 3/10/2012 10:07pm at .
Page 24 of 31 FirstFirst ... 142021222324 25262728 ... LastLast