Administrator

Posted On:
    3/08/2012 2:43am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinchfighter View Post
    I don't know about the ruleset vs style thing, but from what I gather its either San shou or sanda(i think they are the same, but I'm not sure) that is like the chinese version of MMA without groundwork. So Kicks, punches, elbows knees, clinches, throws and trips are allowed. Including a greco style supplex in a video I was shown (impressive form on it too.)
    . Sanda and Sanshou are moving into the style area, but mainly they are a ruleset, like MMA, that allows different striking arts to compete.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/08/2012 2:07pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clinchfighter View Post
    I don't know about the ruleset vs style thing, but from what I gather its either San shou or sanda(i think they are the same, but I'm not sure) that is like the chinese version of MMA without groundwork.
    The CMA place I train does Xingyi and Taiji, but competes in Sanda(san shou). The only change leading up to competition is specific sparring for the rules.

Just FYI, not trying to derail the thread. I get what you are saying though. You can train in the Chun and compete in Sanda. Or even MMA for that matter. You just don't see too much of that over here. Don't know about in China.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/08/2012 4:12pm

supporting member
     Style: yoga/bodyweight mainly

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    The CMA place I train does Xingyi and Taiji, but competes in Sanda(san shou). The only change leading up to competition is specific sparring for the rules.

Just FYI, not trying to derail the thread. I get what you are saying though. You can train in the Chun and compete in Sanda. Or even MMA for that matter. You just don't see too much of that over here. Don't know about in China.
    Is there a website or something you go to to find dates and venues of san shou?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Start a training log!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/08/2012 4:51pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    Is there a website or something you go to to find dates and venues of san shou?

This is the one we use the most:

http://www.kungfuchampionship.com/orlando/schedule.html

I don't know about where you are.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/08/2012 5:16pm

supporting member
     Style: yoga/bodyweight mainly

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, maybe I can find something on google when I get off work.

Start a training log!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2012 6:03pm

Style: JKD, Kali, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

grappling out of wing chun that is equivalent to BJJ

Hello everyone. I am a new member to this site. I registered when I found this thread which discusses my instructor, Sifu Larry Rice. I feel that some clarification is needed on a few points. Sifu Larry Rice has been training for 37 years. His lineage is very strong: His first instructor in JKD and Kali was Sigung Vic Payne. Through his tutelage with Vic Payne he was introduced to Dan Inosanto, Larry Hartsell, Tim Tackett, and others who were all 1st generation JKD instructors under Bruce Lee. He trained with Dan Inosanto for 25 years, as well as spending significant time with all the others I mentioned. In Muay Thai he trained and fought under Ajarn Chai Sirasute, the first native Thai-lander to teach Muay Thai in the USA. His Wing Chun comes from Sigung Francis Fong who is from the Jun Wan lineage. Jun Wan and Ip Man share the same teachers. In Jujitsu he studied with Rickson Gracie. Sifu has asked me not to brag about his competitive record, but I will tell you that it is respectable. Sifu Rice holds small classes at his home. My classmates are all chill, helpful, respectful people who are interested in learning martial arts, not kicking ass and showing off. There are all levels of experience represented in the classes. When we spar, we do so at our own choice. We wear protective gear and the first rule is ‘Good etiquette’. The students are encouraged to spar only if they want to. They decide what intensity they wish to spar at, which is determined by a numbering system of 1 to 10. I usually go for about a six on the intensity scale. That means we all pull our punches and we ask our partner if the level is ok for them. Sifu Rice did work as both a referee and as a cornerman for sanctioned fights, and when we spar, he is the ref. He creates an environment that is similar to what we may experience if we were to step into the ring, but the students must stay at the intensity level that is agreed upon or he will end the match. IMO he keeps very good control of the action.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2012 6:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The match that is being discussed on this thread is definitely at a higher intensity than what we usually do. I asked my Sifu about it and he gave some background. He said that although the students were not very experienced, they really wanted to spar, and they chose a high level of intensity. He thinks that match was from a few years ago. Back in the days of Sifu Rice’s education with Vic Payne, students were thrown into the ring right away. He said that he got KO’d his first couple times there, which is obviously pretty hardcore, but Vic Payne did produce extremely tough fighters. That is not the way that Sifu wants to teach his students now because it is too rough for most people, and he doesn’t want beginners getting injured. I have been with him for about two and a half years and I have never been KO’d while sparring or ever felt like I was in an unsafe environment. I know that Sifu has toned things down from the way he was taught under his teachers, but there is still enough intensity to get a good simulation of an actual fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2012 6:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, I don’t think that Big John was the first referee to ever say ‘Let’s get it on!’ And what does it matter anyway? We all know that if the ref says that, it means its time to start. Why all the trash talking? If you knew Sifu Rice in person like I do, you would know a man who is very gentle and loves people, and you might even have a little respect.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2012 6:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One more thing: Wing Chun is a complete martial art when explored to its fullest. Francis Fong teaches grappling out of wing chun that is equivalent to BJJ, his clinch technique is on the level of Muay Thai, and his striking is insane.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    3/10/2012 6:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofRex View Post
    One more thing: Wing Chun is a complete martial art when explored to its fullest. Francis Fong teaches grappling out of wing chun that is equivalent to BJJ, his clinch technique is on the level of Muay Thai, and his striking is insane.
    Please could we have some video of this superb technique?
Page 23 of 31 FirstFirst ... 131920212223 24252627 ... LastLast