Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/06/2012 8:44am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just wish my friend that went with me would listen to what everyone has said about the chun and the video that was found. I feel like its my fault for dragging him there. I want him to check out this mma gym with me, but he "just really likes the feel of the place." Any time I try and talk about it he acts like I'm blaspheming, I'm starting to wonder if he's taking it to heart, like I'm talking him down and not the art.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/06/2012 11:30am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Chun always looks cool and is popular in the newer CMA movies. That's why you saty away because they talk a good game.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/06/2012 1:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    The Chun always looks cool and is popular in the newer CMA movies. That's why you saty away because they talk a good game.
    I should have known this guy was a **** instructor from the moment we ended our first class. At the end of every class everybody says what they liked/learned and my friend said he wanted to do wing chun because he saw ip man, and instead of telling him the reality, which would be most of that is stylized thematics and we would never be able to do that, the instructor simply said "ahh, good movies."

Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/06/2012 3:33pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    I just wish my friend that went with me would listen to what everyone has said about the chun and the video that was found. I feel like its my fault for dragging him there. I want him to check out this mma gym with me, but he "just really likes the feel of the place." Any time I try and talk about it he acts like I'm blaspheming, I'm starting to wonder if he's taking it to heart, like I'm talking him down and not the art.

6 months from now, stick a camera on a tripod and spar him. It will make a great controlled experiment as you're starting from scratch.

Do you see what i meant about the rigor of judo - the reality and immediacy and aliveness of it - being different from the lighter ethos of the wing chun place? Judo is scientific. You learn material, apply a bit of it, then try it live as soon as possible.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/06/2012 4:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't personally do any randori. Of the 2 throws I practiced, I only got one down. Osoto gari (sp?) was really hard because I'm so tall and I need to work on my leg strength to go lower more times in practice. But es, while watching them do randori, I saw how good the alive training is and also how judo is used in mma.

Start a training log!

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/06/2012 5:17pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't personally do any randori. Of the 2 throws I practiced, I only got one down. Osoto gari (sp?) was really hard because I'm so tall and I need to work on my leg strength to go lower more times in practice. But es, while watching them do randori, I saw how good the alive training is and also how judo is used in mma.

Randori on the very first day is unusual. They usually want to make sure you have a grasp of falling, tapping, and know a throw and a pin

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2012 1:56am

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    There actually is a standing wristlock that can work in that situation, though, if the lapel grip is too low -- grabbing behind the elbow and collapsing the hand on your lapel against your chest. I know a BJJ blackbelt who's very fond of doing that to judoka. (This taught me to grab slightly higher, so that the attempt to collapse the wrist instead pushes it over the shoulder.)

Very different, though, as it (1) doesn't involve peeling the hand off to get the wristlock, (2) uses multiple points of contact, and (3) is a quick and situational thing anyway.
    A standing kimura can work as well if you can keep your base while someone has you in a body lock from behind. Beats getting suplexed anyway.

I completely agree with your general point though.

Sometimes I think standing locks get a worse than deserved rep on this board because everbody equates them to ninjer/aikido stuff.

If you can grab someone's punch out of the air or tear ther hand off your gi, then they were never any kind of threat to you anyway (and probably possessing the strength and speed of a three year old) but there are a few decent albeit highly situational standing locks.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    3/07/2012 10:14am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But even the kimura from a rear grab is more effective if you drive them to the ground after turning the corner.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/07/2012 12:59pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Eh, you're looking for a real martial art, and maybe he isn't. Direct him to this forum, and spar him every once in awhile.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/07/2012 2:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    Eh, you're looking for a real martial art, and maybe he isn't. Direct him to this forum, and spar him every once in awhile.
    He says he wants the same thing from ma that I do, minus the competition. I think he just doesn't wanna say no to the instructor and the sudents in the class. And yes, I took JohnnyCache's advice and challenged him to spar after 6 months... Not sure I really wanna wait that long, but if this instructors chun is weak lik most peoples, I wanna give him as much time to prep as possible.

Start a training log!

Page 21 of 31 FirstFirst ... 111718192021 22232425 ... LastLast