Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 5:33pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    I wasn't very clear with the rank question. I just wanted to know so I could see if they're just in the belt selling business. Their website says they're linked with kodokan and usjf.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    The Kodokan is the original judo school that Jigoro Kano (the founder of judo) started. USJF is one of the political bodies that governs judo in the US, they do things like help support tournaments and provide liability insurance or something like that (I am not quite sure what the governing bodies do to be dead honest with you). So all that is pretty normal.

I have been doing judo for 2 years and a few months and I am on my 4th belt out of 6 colored belts, but I think I may have been promoted quickly. Assume roughly 5 years to black belt but no less then 4 for the average student.

There are guys on this forum who know way more about judo then me but I may be able to answer some VERY basic questions.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 5:43pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judojeff: thanks for the info, I believe that's what I was looking for.

Whiteshark: did you look at the instructors info at all? The only thing that kinda set me off that school is I was worried how much he could teach at 1st bb in judo and I'm not saying he's bad at bjj, but I was worried he may have got his bb too quick because he seems pretty young.

Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 5:52pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was worried how much he could teach at 1st bb in judo and I'm not saying he's bad at bjj, but I was worried he may have got his bb too quick because he seems pretty young.
    Sadly teaching ability and rank do not go hand in hand. At my school the head guy is a 4th or 5th degree but I have learned more from one of the 1st degrees simply because the way he explains stuff meshes better with how I learn things.

Check out a judo class and see how he interacts with students, especially less experienced students. A good teacher should talk in a way the students understand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 5:56pm

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this video really implies bad things. either they're beginners and they should focus on technique instead of sparring that hard. or they're more "experienced" and they suck.
    either way, the instructor is not doing a good job.
    and that's the MT, not WC.

only my unqualified opinion, as a complete beginner, but if you're a noob as well, I just wouldn't trust it.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 6:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I'm gonna check out ichiban too, hell you get a free week. But I'd like to see the judo club even tho its less classes per week, because from what I understand, every time you progress in dan ranks you learn diferent techniques the next time around.

Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 7:34pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ranking in Judo doesn't get you secret magic techniques. That sort of thing tends to be a sham. You start with the basics, and those basics can be modified to suit your body type, your opponent etc as you gain more experience. You learn different throws and so forth as time goes on, but the basics you learn at the start is what makes new individual techniques possible.
    Judo does limit the use of certain types of submissions in competition until you hit the upper ranks (brown/black belt). We still train them under supervision at my school but that may not be the norm.
    As far as rank speed goes, I just this week got promoted from a rankless noob to the first belt rank after about 5 months of going twice a week. A blackbelt in Judo is no joke.
    Plus, when you do Judo you don't have to worry about getting cranked in the head by some dumbass who doesn't know how to spar with control because they haven't had to do so in 90% of their classes.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 7:50pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need to forget about techniques. A catalog of techniques is a total waste of time. Mastery of the basics will always be better. I'd say the sure fire way to tell someone that is clueless is when they try to impress you with the number of techniques they know.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 8:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok thanks for the advice ppl. I'm really hoping I have a good experience at ichiban since they do offer some good ma for competition and self defense

Start a training log!

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 11:17pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wasn't very clear with the rank question. I just wanted to know so I could see if they're just in the belt selling business. Their website says they're linked with kodokan and usjf.

Those are the legit judo orgs, international and domestic respectively

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 1:30pm

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    You need to forget about techniques. A catalog of techniques is a total waste of time. Mastery of the basics will always be better. I'd say the sure fire way to tell someone that is clueless is when they try to impress you with the number of techniques they know.
    This.

I'm sorry if this post seems superfluous, but I felt that the above quote was worth emphasizing to you, jwilde.