1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 2:11pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zod View Post
    I know dick about striking (really about grappling, too, but we'll ignore that for a moment) so I have to ask - other than the obvious ridiculousness of the 'ring' and the 'ref' - are the techniques in that video as bad as I think they are or am I holding those guys to way too high of a standard?
    Its not that bad for two beginners sparring. If one of those guys is supposed to be a teacher I'd be pretty horrified.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 2:14pm

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Its not that bad for two beginners sparring. If one of those guys is supposed to be a teacher I'd be pretty horrified.
    It seems almost more like a fight than a sparring session. I'm not sure which it is supposed to be. They take some pretty hard shots without any breaks and they have a 'ref'. It's just weird.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 2:19pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wing chun sparring

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    And why is that? Idk anything about MT technique. And yeah, if that's Sifu Larry Rice then the ref is an instructor. And I almost wanna say the dude in the dark shirt on the left of the screen is supposed to be my senior.

Edit: and how was that video found? I looked all over for videos on him and my sigung, francis fong

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 3:01pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zod View Post
    That's the dude from http://www.mountainmartialartsacademy.com/, right? Sure looks like him.
    Yeah, no, sorry. I wasn't doubting that you had found the right video. I was just kind of appalled because this seemed to be set up as an actual fight but the "fight" itself didn't look... too good.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 3:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    And why is that?
    I assume you mean why would I be horrified if one of those guys was a teacher?

Neither shows any understanding of footwork at all. Nor do they demonstrate the ability to link techniques into combinations. Also missing is any sort of ring generalship or strategy. Lastly the technique is just plain sloppy.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 3:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    from what i can gather, those are just two students, neither is an instructor, and it was their first fight. theres a thread by the Tayyab guy here-

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/first-fight-764297/

it seems like this was supposed to be a sparring match but "turned into" a fight. a few things.

1- what the **** kind of sparring has cornermen and a ref? and a bunch of idiots in the background yelling at them to KO each other?

2- that is the most usnafe "ring" i think ive seen in a while.

3- its hard to tell much from someones first fight, theres such an adrenalin dump that your form often goes right out the window. having said that tall guy had some nice kicks.

i dont know how much you can take from that vid in terms of what the training at this place is like. personally i wouldnt go there, it seemed to have a terrible atmosphere of bullshit bravado.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 3:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for connecting the dots Alex. I don't read Sherdog. Everything in that other thread scares the hell out of me and I would never train at that place. Wow, there are so many more things wrong in that video know that I know the background.

Stay away from that place if you want to learn Muay Thai.

Administrator

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 3:30pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good job Alex that explains a ton.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 3:31pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wing chun sparring

Well from what I've seen from two classes, the atmosphere is very chill. No one acts bad or talks ****. I've never seen that place before either, idk where it is or who's idea that ring was lol. And I understand now about the instructor question, I just thought they were saying if an instructor was even present he wasn't doing his job. So is the general consensus still nay?

Edit: so you all posted before I finished with this reply... So aside from everyone saying WC is ****, if you were gonna train WC would you let him train you? There is no ring where we trainn but amyriad of training tools like pads, bags, etc.
    Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by itwasntme; 3/01/2012 3:35pm at .
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 3:38pm

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the dude yelling 'Let's get it on' during a sparring session is the head instructor, I would not train there.