Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314151622 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 8:56am

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stick work is not so impressive. It seems he's missing out on the entire idea of range there.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 9:03am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just want to know why every chun speed video has the Kung Fu movie head shake.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 11:24am

Style: FormerShotokan,Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    and that may be, but idk them. i wasn't saying i completely don't respect their opinions, just that i take everything anybody says on here with a grain of salt. i ask for opinions, but in the end i have to make the final decision.
    Although making decisions on own experience is most of the times a good thing, please consider that many of the members in this forum have had firsthand experience with Wing Chung or similar sports. Many wasted much time and money in such dojos and sometimes even had to deal with cultish environments and similar crap.
    Be assured that most just want to spare you those ugly experiences.

You said that your goals in MA are to learn fighting and to be able to teach in four years. Based on my experience and those of everyone whom I talked about that, Wing Chung will not enhance your fighting-skills, most often it will even be contraproductive (teaching you techniques which are dangerous for you and giving you a false sense of either superiority or paranoia).

On the other hand, as a rule of thumb: the crappier the dojo, the earlier you may become an instructor, so a typical Wing-Chun-School may work just fine for you, if becoming a trainer is your first priority. It just depends if you are willing to sacrifice your integrety to work in such a way.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wing chun sparring

So as far as the chun school goes, I feel like I could learn a lot and just get back into swing of sparring since I haven't done standup training in 3 or 4 years. I'm gonna look at everything ashkelon told me to and go tryout that judo club. I also found a bagqua/xingyi school in mt area. When I emailed the instructor and asked about things like sparring which he didn't cover in his return email, though he didn't actually say they don't spar like other schools did. I also don't like the fact that the website says you have to be on the lion dance team to progress in the school rank. Ill post the link and return email from this school in case someone feels like runnin over it to see if it sounds like a good school. Also wanted to say that vic payne and some other ppl are coming to a seminar our chun instructor is hosting saturday, so I'm going to that and ill tell yall what's its like. Someone had said he might actually know his stuff if he is friends with ppl he claims he is so I didn't know if that might ease anyones opinion of his skill. And he also gave me and my friend some basic strike and deflect exercise done from reference position to work with at the house. www.mtndragon.com

Jason,

Thank you for your interest in Long Shan Gong Fu. We build our graduated Long Fist or chan quan program upon taiji, xingyi, and baguaquan or the internal martial arts known as nei jia. You are more than welcome to visit and participate in any of our classes. We are an open and informal training ground. Tuesdays at 7:00pm at the Montfrord Center on Pearson Dr. we train in mostly the 8 mother palms of Swimming Dragon baguaquan, but also xingyiquan. On Wednesdays at 6:00pm we are at the Center practicing Chen Pan-ling long form taijiquan.

The Montford Center staff asks for $10 at the door and a photo ID. I hope to see you in class... anytime. Please check out www.mtndragon.org for info and details.

Regards,
    Mark

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by itwasntme; 2/29/2012 1:15pm at .
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 1:37pm

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if they don't participate in sanda you probably shouldn't bother.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 1:42pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That comment applies to the his chun school as well.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 1:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wing chun sparring

Is there any associations I can look for that host sanda or anything?

Also I was looking into ashevillejudo.com and realised its the same place as the center for martial arts, which a member here said had bad reviews.

Last edited by itwasntme; 2/29/2012 2:17pm at .
    Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 2:32pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go there and try a judo class. It looks like a space sharing arrangement. Ps if you care about reviews why try wing chun? You're moving the goal posts to excuse training in the one one place you've evidently decided to attend and defend. Are you soliciting opinions here to consider them or pick them apart?
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 2:36pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you. I find it interesting that everything concerning the chun is taken with a grain of salt, but the judo place is bad based on one poster.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 2:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I understand both of you. But I didn't say the judo club was bad or that I wasn't gonna check a class out, only that a member said some specifically about that school. If I was going to go purely on opinions of others though, I'd be more likely to listen to somebody that's saying something bad about a specific school rather than a style. Most everyone who has tore down the chun just sounds like style vs style talk. But I do intend to check the judo club out either way. Is there anything specific I should look for or ask about judo or the club when I go? Like I said all I know about judo is what I've seen on the internet which makes it all look like flashy flows with little filler as far as punches or kicks and I'm not really interested in throwing someone down for sport.

Start a training log!

Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 289101112 1314151622 ... LastLast