All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 5:20pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    Its not a very big class usually from what I hear. There was 8 ppl other than me last time and he's the only instructor. Either way at 20 a class and a kid to feed I couldn't afford more classes now anyway

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Look. You are going to forget wing chun and train non garbage. This is not a command or hyperbole but rather fact. The question is how much time and energy you waste on Wing Chun in the meantime

You have a chance to part with it at just one or two classes! Not months or years! For fucks sake man.
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 2/28/2012 5:29pm at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 5:22pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are styles in boxing that are similar to Wing Chun, and are effective enough. Let me rephrase that. There's styles in boxing that do what Wing Chun is supposed to do, but do it better.

Wing Chun is supposed to teach you infighting. It's supposed to be what chunners are experts in. So a chunner should have no problem stepping into a boxing ring and overwhelming every boxer with the "FOOM! FOOM! FOOM!" Hell, if a chunner is able to win even the lowliest regarded title, I will pay money to see it.

By the way, plenty of boxers have found success infighting at the elite level. They do a lot of what Wing Chun says you should do: they fight square, move forward, and throw lots of volume punches. Pawel Wolak is one such fighter who did this:

There's a heavy price for fighting like this — which Chun sifus don't tell you about (probably because they have never done live sparring). It's easier to hit a square than a triangle. If you're going to move in somebody's killzone, you're going to be hit. You better have confidence that your punch is better than your opponent's.

But of course, you being a boxer should already know this.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 5:26pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know that has less to do with the chun and more to do with effective fighting, regardless of style, right?

Infighting existed before the chun and is trained by many CMA styles.

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 5:30pm

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its a 2 hour class and no, jkd is another class. I haven't talked to him about any kind of package deals yet I was gonna wait til I find a job so I could actually commit to a package deal.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 5:38pm

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ashkelon: i've looked over just about every forum on here and not much real info is given about any type of martial art.
    oh really? well check out the articles about judo for example. when I google technique or general questions there's always some bullshido.net in the results. while you're on it search some about aliveness, it will help understand some generally accepted principles here, it does for me.
    and one of the reasons i take ppl less serious that troll the chun threads is because that seems to be all thats going on, they dont have anything contructive to say and a lot of the ppl putting the chun down also practice a TCMA outside of the context of mma events.
    If you're looking for a combat art, wing chun is not respected and that's the end of it, you will not get more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 5:42pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    You know that has less to do with the chun and more to do with effective fighting, regardless of style, right?

Infighting existed before the chun and is trained by many CMA styles.
    Yes, this is the point I'm trying to make (however messy it's coming across). You don't need the chun to know how to infight. Whatever supposed strengths the chun has can be found in other arts.

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 5:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been asking questions cuz the chun class is once a week so in the down time I been anxiously awaiting the next class, which is tonight
    Did he show you anything to practice at home?

Also, sometimes classes are "once a week" and then after a while you get tapped on the shoulder by someone who says, "Say, want to join the secret class?"

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 5:53pm

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ashkelon: i didn't say they didnt exist, rather i havent seen them. i would appreciate some links if you have them.

Rivington: thanks for the advice, and no, I wasnt given anything to take home to practice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 3:13am

Style: Striking, grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ashkelon: i didn't say they didnt exist, rather i havent seen them. i would appreciate some links if you have them.
    alright, for starters, check out http://www.bullshido.org/Main_Page then go spend some time reading on the CMA forum, read the stickies twice.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 6:49am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Did we get a link to the wing chun school somewhere? (Yes, I am this lazy.)
    No, he never posted the link.

http://www.mountainmartialartsacademy.com/

Last edited by It is Fake; 2/29/2012 6:53am at .
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213141521 ... LastLast