Flyweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 3:08pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wrapping your toe.

So in an effort to not suck at standup, I've started going back to the gym regularly and focusing on my boxing and muay thai. However, the increase in intensity has fucked up both my feet, tearing the skin on the base joint of the 4th toe on each foot.

Name:  foots.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  6.4 KB

I believe it was originally caused by the rotation of my foot on the mat when working kicks but now any sort of foot rotation (punches or kicks) seem to be making it worse. I've been treating it every day, putting **** like newskin and bandaids on it, but before it has a chance to heal I'm back in the gym and screw it up some more. Last night I tried taping it up, but that turned out worse and I ended up with a bloody mess.

Anyone have a recommendation on how to tape it so that it won't get fucked up worse? Unfortunately I don't have any wrestling shoes I could wear till it heals up.

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 3:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tape kinda like this, obviously i do the hands different for striking but the toes are pretty similar.
    Experiment with the thin strips, you can get that sucker solid.
    Toes start around 3:00

Flyweight

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 3:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because the issue is actually where the toe connects to the foot, that method isn't going to help. I did something similar (connect the two toes) last night and it actually made it worse due to the extra torque coming from both toes onto the weak spot.

What I am looking for is some way to secure a bandage/tape over the torn skin that will stay secure while moving around. Something I might try tonight is taping similar to how I wrap my hands, criss-crossing across the foot and between the toe - but that's going to use a lot of tape, might fall off, and won't be pleasant to remove from my hairy feet.

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 4:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got it, for some reason i thought you meant the last joint.
    Trim that hobbit **** first!
    I've used duct tape surfing. You gotta use some solvent to get the adhesive off though.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    9/28/2011 4:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like Chen said, duct tape is a suggestion, bear in mind, if you don't have gauze on the actual cut, it is likely to continue to reopen time and again, after each time you remove the duct tape.

Fingernail polish remover will take off the tape adhesive and will also continue to dry out the tissue around the wound.

Posted On:
    9/29/2011 9:58am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is newskin a spay on band aid? Cos that stuff is usually pretty good. Otherwise the medical super glue.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    9/29/2011 10:03am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the hell is wrong with taking a few days off to heal? You going to die if you don't train?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2011 10:23am

Style: Aikido, bits of jits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by money View Post
    <snip>
    but before it has a chance to heal I'm back in the gym and screw it up some more. Last night I tried taping it up, but that turned out worse and I ended up with a bloody mess.

Anyone have a recommendation on how to tape it so that it won't get fucked up worse? Unfortunately I don't have any wrestling shoes I could wear till it heals up.
    You've said it yourself, letting them heal properly would be best. There's always other training that can be done.
    Since you don't have wrestling shoes here are some lower cost alternatives for keeping little cuts on your feet covered when training (depends how silly you mind looking as well as budget and availability):

I know one guy who has really bad luck with newbie's slicing him open with their uncut toe nails, he always has pair of swim socks in his bag. When he gets cut he cleans up and put the socks over the band-aid (band aid just fall off with the sweat).

Flyweight

Posted On:
    9/29/2011 11:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    What the hell is wrong with taking a few days off to heal? You going to die if you don't train?
    I'm at a point right now where I feel like I am making a lot of progress and don't want to lose my momentum. Also it's not what I consider a significant injury, just more of an annoyance that I don't want to get any worse.

Update: I tried taping the 4 and 3 toes together last night, over a bandaid that was secured to the ball of my foot. Didn't seem to really make a difference.

RJ - thanks for the idea about the footwear. If I were concerned about looking silly, I'd never leave the house. I think I actually have some tabi laying around somewhere from back when I did sword work so I may try those out this weekend.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    9/29/2011 11:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Super Glue the wound closed.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast