Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/11/2012 7:00pm

Style: Kyokushinkai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would be fair to say that BJJ was an evolution of Judo?

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/11/2012 7:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldShintaro View Post
    Would be fair to say that BJJ was an evolution of Judo?
    Apropos of what?

Start another thread or use the search function.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    6/24/2012 2:36pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for sharing Phrost!

Posted On:
    7/02/2012 5:08pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Aliveness is not just sparring...

I train with Calen Paine(not as often as I used to due to location of gym etc) who is a purple belt under matt thorton, knows him personally. Ive played with Calen's self defense stuff but mostly did BJJ and boxing/wrestling under him.

Bring him up and his association with Thorton to ask this question: is aliveness only sparring? From straight blast gym the ISR program, etc there is isolated aliveness, but not all out sparring all the time. It comes from thorton and luis gurritez(my spelling is waaay off) but drillls, alive drills with resistence and a progression.

Im pretty sure thorton would not promote/teach it if he did not agree with the methodology. There CAN be straight sparring but not all the time.

Atleast what ive seen from Calen. It's alive for sure, people are not compliant.

Some kung-fu/karate/JJJ schools take similar approches, isolated aliveness if they are into the RBSD stuff, isolated drills, scenario drills etc.

DO they by default become useless because they do not spar in the traditional sense?

What then is the ISR, that comes from thorton himself? Again, one can double check about Calen and his rank/association with Matt Thorton, and the ISR program.

How do you guys define aliveness? Does it HAVE to be associated with sparring?

I personally believe that if you want to 'be the best you can be' and excell in a martial art, you have to do something like sparring, sparring hard with full resistence.

But to gain some small skills or teach part time joes? Isn't it possible to be alive without straight sparring?

What is aliveness? What is acceptable resistence for aliveness etc?

Posted On:
    7/02/2012 5:16pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aliveness is testing your skills in an alive manner, against a resisting opponent. Obviously that begins with little to know resistance drilling, then progresses. No one said aliveness=sparring only. Aliveness has been defined repeatedly on this site.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    7/02/2012 5:38pm

Style: karate,MMA(between gyms)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't posted in a long time, but yes I am aware it has been stated many times in this site.

Problem is, in this thread it seems many forget this, and often i think newbies and even some veterans often forget in some debates that Alievness has different levels.

IE some clips, you could be watching only the first bit a of a drill, and for all we know they explode into life training etc.

Side rant:

Hopefully within the same class. I really hate how alot of schools do 'dead' training for new students for almost months at a time vs a quick progression into aliveness, and unrefined technique fixed by repitition and guidance.

**** man, even some kyokushin schools will spend a **** load of time doing 100 different katas. And as most on the site know, kyokushins still does a great deal of live training. Though in edmonton ive seen a school that really takes the progression to sparring very slowly, a person could spend a whole year doing kyokushin in this school before sparring at all, and im not talking about live drills in between either.

But **** man, you see this even with alot of RBSD too. It's strange.

What was a saying? BLah.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2012 11:58pm

Style: jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Zendetta for sharing this video.

Matt is not saying BJJ is the best martial art per se . He is just pointing out that whatever style you train if you train "alive" you will learn what really works, thats what you keep, and what does not work, thats what you throw out.

Every martial art might offer some unique tools or techniques to different people with different body types.

Bring it on!

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/04/2012 12:11am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AAAhmed46 View Post
    I haven't posted in a long time, but yes I am aware it has been stated many times in this site.

Problem is, in this thread it seems many forget this, and often i think newbies and even some veterans often forget in some debates that Alievness has different levels.
    Nope, we will disagree. Vets don't discuss levels when someone says "all I need is forms" or the "streets." What you just described isn't going on in this thread. All the vets are explaining levels, heck battlfield's dumbed it down so much maybe you missed it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2012 8:02pm

Style: Freestyle scientific

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's be honest, the very term "martial arts" refers to battlefield combat-tactics taught to armies of medieval soldiers of below-average education-- and likely, intelligence.

Then as now, the smart ones typically got college-deferments.

Obviously that's not the best basis for street-defense-- which is why someone rich and educated like Bruce Lee was able to do so much against it despite being a skinny little guy. by using his "Moe Howard" fighting style to match his haircut, along with "Curly pop-goes-the-weasel super-speed."

So when someone says "TMA," or even MMA, consider that context.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/04/2012 8:05pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LesbianSeagal View Post
    Let's be honest, the very term "martial arts" refers to battlefield combat-tactics taught to armies of medieval soldiers of below-average education-- and likely, intelligence.

Then as now, the smart ones typically got college-deferments.

Obviously that's not the best basis for street-defense-- which is why someone rich and educated like Bruce Lee was able to do so much against it despite being a skinny little guy. by using his "Moe Howard" fighting style to match his haircut, along with "Curly pop-goes-the-weasel super-speed."

So when someone says "TMA," or even MMA, consider that context.
    Yeah, no.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast